Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 03-11-2006, 15:20   #61
rab97
Quiet Professional

Alaskan Amber and Moose Drool are two of my favorite beers. I wish I could get some here in NC.
rab97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:19   #62
Q
Quiet Professional

AHHHHH Cold Beer!!!

Now these are the discussion I remember in the Team House. You guys are making me homesick. The best beer???

1. The first cold one after coming out of the bush.
2. Guiness is the nectar of the Gods.
3. A cold dark Porter, from the Pacific NW.

Thanks for the memories. PS: If you head down Mexico way and you like a dark beer, try Negra Modelo. Colder the better quite tasty, especially when you got a burrito the size of a hog leg in the other hand. "Q".
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 15:33   #63
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Now these are the discussion I remember in the Team House. You guys are making me homesick. The best beer???

1. The first cold one after coming out of the bush.
2. Guinness is the nectar of the Gods.
3. A cold dark Porter, from the Pacific NW.

Thanks for the memories. PS: If you head down Mexico way and you like a dark beer, try Negra Modelo. Colder the better quite tasty, especially when you got a burrito the size of a hog leg in the other hand. "Q".
Q,
You have great taste in beverages! Speaking of Northwest beers, it's official, Portland now has more breweries than any other city on this planet.

Negra Modelo is served (in glasses just out of the freezer) down the road at the very fine Mexican place we have here locally.

You have prompted a question, what does the little plastic device inside the Guinness bottles actually do? I broke one out last night for inspection and can't figure out it's function.

Note to self: forget about beer, must go back to work.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 15:48   #64
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Q,
You have great taste in beverages! Speaking of Northwest beers, it's official, Portland now has more breweries than any other city on this planet.

Negra Modelo is served (in glasses just out of the freezer) down the road at the very fine Mexican place we have here locally.

You have prompted a question, what does the little plastic device inside the Guinness bottles actually do? I broke one out last night for inspection and can't figure out it's function.

Note to self: forget about beer, must go back to work.
Bill:

Cold beer and good mexican food, sounds ideal!

Here's what the widget does.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question446.htm

Terry
Old 04-03-2006, 18:02   #65
Maytime
Guerrilla

I'd have to agree with rab97, Alaskan Amber is my favorite, mainly since it has a nice aftertaste not found in some other darkish beers, and it's from my home state. Fat Tire is up there as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 18:32   #66
Q
Quiet Professional

Bill's Thingy.....in a can!

Bill, I hope you've found out what it is or does????? 'Cuz I never held onto the empty long enuff to ponder such a question. I bow to Portland.....If you got Negra, I'm headed south to get one. Take care, "Q".
Old 04-03-2006, 20:57   #67
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Negro Modelo is a Vienna Lager style beer. Many of the lagers you find through central/south America were influenced heavily by the Germans. You will find a lot of Vienna and Marzen style beers down South as well you will run into the occassional Schwarzbier (Black Lager).
Old 04-03-2006, 21:37   #68
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Bill, I hope you've found out what it is or does????? 'Cuz I never held onto the empty long enuff to ponder such a question. I bow to Portland.....If you got Negra, I'm headed south to get one. Take care, "Q".
Q,
I've torn apart several of those Irish baby formula bottles and haven't yet been able to find the nitrogen.

If your heading south on "the 5" beer and chow is on me!

Brew, AMAZING history! Your more than just another pretty face around here.

Same German type of culture applies to a few other things in South America, anyone care to guess?
Old 04-03-2006, 22:19   #69
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Q,
I've torn apart several of those Irish baby formula bottles and haven't yet been able to find the nitrogen.

If your heading south on "the 5" beer and chow is on me!

Brew, AMAZING history! Your more than just another pretty face around here.

Same German type of culture applies to a few other things in South America, anyone care to guess?
I've had the same problem with those nitrogen cans and bottles. Naturally brewing and all it's components are of interest to me and I have emptied MANY of those cans/bottles in search of the Nitrogen, guess I am going to have to keep looking...
Old 04-03-2006, 22:23   #70
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonkey
I've had the same problem with those nitrogen cans and bottles. Naturally brewing and all it's components are of interest to me and I have emptied MANY of those cans/bottles in search of the Nitrogen, guess I am going to have to keep looking...
Darn stuff won't even respond to the "lit match" test either.
Old 04-03-2006, 23:22   #71
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Bill, I thought your way off the I-5 strip,

We have some great comidas Mexicano places here... But you do have to ask for salsa picante...

If you get near Salem, I would be lgad to show a few place.. inexpensive.... sadly the really good Mexicano food places don't do beer... There is a bakery, in Independence, great burritos.

A great Burrito local is called the Oregon Burrito... Yummy

Negro Modelo es mas fina, I am still fond of XX. in '68 we sailed into Cabo San Lucas, a little sleepy fishing village at the time, and bought a bunch (35 cases) for our trip to Panama. We ran out of beer by the time we hit El Slavador... they had a good German beer in La Union...

We did have a place locally that had guinness on tap... and the keep knew how to make a glass smile... well almost
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 00:06   #72
Q
Quiet Professional

Beer and a Burrito

Bill, I'm not really headed down that way.......yet. But I tell ya what when I do and I'm sure I will, I'll get a message out to ya and take you up on that Beer. "Q".
Old 04-04-2006, 01:00   #73
Q
Quiet Professional

Cerveza Fria!

Hollis, you sound like an old Central/South American bum like me. I love it down there. Spent 4 years in Panama, playing with Uncle Sugar and his friends. I was on one of the first two teams that went on the ground in El Sal.
Sounds like you were down that way alot earlier. Did you hang around much down there? I'm looking to set up a safehouse/beachhouse in Mazatlan....right across the Sea of Cortez from Cabo!! Should be closing on it by the end of the month. Got me an old beat up '81 CJ, a cold cerveza and the old lady!!! It will be heaven.....Burrito Heaven that is! "Q".
Old 04-04-2006, 06:21   #74
brewmonkey
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLiS

Negro Modelo es mas fina, I am still fond of XX. in '68 we sailed into Cabo San Lucas, a little sleepy fishing village at the time, and bought a bunch (35 cases) for our trip to Panama. We ran out of beer by the time we hit El Slavador... they had a good German beer in La Union...

We did have a place locally that had guinness on tap... and the keep knew how to make a glass smile... well almost
Just as Negro Modelo is a Vienna Lager so is Dos Equis Amber(brown bottle) while Dos Equis (green bottle) is based on American Macro's.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:57   #75
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Beer Good

1. Red Stripe

2. Sam Adams

3. Hop Wallop (Philly area Micro brew)
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote