Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 04-08-2008, 13:20   #91
sofmed
Guerrilla

New Thought for the Day

Just wanted to share this mindset. It speaks volumes of what to be, or not to be.

Enjoy.

Mick

IN THE TEST KITCHEN OF LIFE

A young woman was complaining to her father about how difficult her life had become. He said nothing, but took her to the kitchen and set three pans of water to boiling. To the first pan, he added carrots; to the second, eggs; and to the third, ground coffee. After all three had cooked, he put their contents into separate bowls and asked his daughter to cut into the eggs and carrots and smell the coffee. "What does this all mean?" she asked impatiently.

"Each food," he said, "teaches us something about facing adversity, as represented by the boiling water." The carrot went in hard but came out soft and weak. The eggs went in fragile but came out hardened. The coffee, however, changed the water to something better.

"Which will you be like as you face life?" he asked. Will you give up, become hard -- or transform adversity into triumph? As the "chef" of your own life, what will you bring to the table?

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
sofmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:32   #92
Lothar
Auxiliary

Great source

Quote:
Originally posted by mdb23

Was his uniform ironed and well maintained, was his leather gear polished, did he look like he was in shape, were his boots shined, what was his demeanor, etc......

If you look like an individual who takes his chosen profession seriously, then people will treat you as such.
Amen to that. There is one guy in my unit that pretty regularly ends up fighting/chasing some turd and it has to be cause he looks like Chris Farley in a police uniform...good officer, just looks like Joe Bag O'Donuts.

If you take pride in yourself and in your profession then people will see that and respect you as the individual and not simply because you are a police officer.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:24   #93
JMI
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmf89 View Post
I think I definitely need to check myself. Rushing into the 18x contract does not seem like a good idea. I have a lot to prepare for after what you said. I think it might even be good for me to go Rangers first and get some combat under my belt. As scary as that sounds. Wow, I got a lot to think about.
This site has that effect on people. I am a civilian and I read this thread almost weekly. One of the axioms I spread daily is something NDD wrote:

OBSTACLES ARE OPPORTUNITIES FOR EXCELLENCE.

It is a daily experience for me.
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 18:58   #94
Books
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
This site has that effect on people. I am a civilian and I read this thread almost weekly. One of the axioms I spread daily is something NDD wrote:

OBSTACLES ARE OPPORTUNITIES FOR EXCELLENCE.

It is a daily experience for me.
Or, as Donald Shimoda said in the seventies, "Every problem has a gift for you in its hands; you seek the problems because you need the gift." Bonus points to who ever knows who Donald Shimoda is.

- Jack Moroney
Old 04-16-2008, 06:46   #95
sofmed
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
Or, as Donald Shimoda said in the seventies, "Every problem has a gift for you in its hands; you seek the problems because you need the gift." Bonus points to who ever knows who Donald Shimoda is.

He is one of two main characters in the book Illusions written way back in '77 (that's 1977 for our younger crowd.)

Now, who knows who wrote this book, among others?

Wishing you the best!

Mick

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
Old 04-24-2008, 14:56   #96
sofmed
Guerrilla

"The Art of Worldly Wisdom"

A man at his best. You are not so born. Strive daily to develop yourself in your person, in your calling, until perfection is attained: the fullness of your every gift, of your every faculty. You will know it in the improvement of your taste, in the clarification of your thinking, in the maturity of your judgment, in the control of your will. Some never attain the perfect, something always being lacking, and others are late in coming to themselves. The man complete, wise in speech, wise in action, is admitted, yea, he is welcomed into that rare fellowship of those who understand.

Baltasar Gracian
Originally published in 1647

Wishing you the best.

Mick

Old 05-12-2008, 22:20   #97
geordy7051
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Leading by example is a big one. It's not just waving your Arms and saying follow me. It's also something as trivial as reaching down and picking up a piece of trash in your AO. Helping to unload gear with your men. Stepping up to the front to do a Demo. But not often enough to step on toes.
The results of being a successful trainer/leader. Are never obvious and immediate. Its all the little things in people you are training that you notice. Not flagging people when exiting the Arms Room, conversations are more about Tactics, dry firing during breaks, weapons slung across the chest at the ready, not over their back. This transformation is one of the most gratifying things to see.
The biggest lesson I ever learned when I became a NCO was when several SGTs some years senior to myself told me, 'Never say "Do this now or else," instead say "we need to get this done." Then help if you have the time and ability. If you don't have the time, they will most likely know. If you don't have the ability then learn the skill quick.' That has stayed with me and been the best advice I ever recieved.
geordy7051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55   #98
tinmanHRSO
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Even with their little ball caps.
lol, That one really got my chuckle box going sir. I really do enjoy reading your posts. And I've learned a great deal from them. I've learned a bit more about myself. I hate to admit I was one of those who wasn't always squared away when I was enlisted, it's taken alot of time to grow into the operator I am today. And still, the more I learn the more I realize how much I still don't know. Maturity is humbling I think, but there's great strength in humility.
tinmanHRSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:14   #99
hoot72
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmed View Post
Just wanted to share this mindset. It speaks volumes of what to be, or not to be.

Enjoy.

Mick

IN THE TEST KITCHEN OF LIFE

A young woman was complaining to her father about how difficult her life had become. He said nothing, but took her to the kitchen and set three pans of water to boiling. To the first pan, he added carrots; to the second, eggs; and to the third, ground coffee. After all three had cooked, he put their contents into separate bowls and asked his daughter to cut into the eggs and carrots and smell the coffee. "What does this all mean?" she asked impatiently.

"Each food," he said, "teaches us something about facing adversity, as represented by the boiling water." The carrot went in hard but came out soft and weak. The eggs went in fragile but came out hardened. The coffee, however, changed the water to something better.

"Which will you be like as you face life?" he asked. Will you give up, become hard -- or transform adversity into triumph? As the "chef" of your own life, what will you bring to the table?

Hey boss,

was that from the IN THE TEST KITCHEN OF LIFE? And was it someone wrote or quote? Was wondering...
hoot72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53   #100
humble 11c
Asset

I googled "books have pages in multiples of 9."

Great read. You should use your skills to be a guest speaker at graduations and ceremonies and get paid for it. What you have to say certainly applies to many things and I took to heart alot of what you said.

Thanks.
humble 11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:34   #101
jw74
Guerrilla

Whenever my legs say they don't want to run. I reread this thread. Thank you NDD and All for the instruction/encouragement/warning.
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09   #102
barryr
Asset

This is a very motivational thread. I do some of the things NDD and the others posted, but there is more that I need to work on. This thread made me re-evaluate my self. It really makes you step back and check yourself. I needed this reminder. It is easy to forget when others around you do not have the same mind set. Thanks.

Barry

Last edited by barryr; 09-18-2008 at 11:14.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 13:24   #103
Kiran
Asset

To everybody that contributed to this thread, you have my most sincere thanks. I thank you for the time you took, all of you, to say everything you have. I only hope I am surrounded by people of your greatness, wherever I go in the Army. I re-read every post with wisdom and I intend to apply everything, one at a time and make it a part of myself so that I'll always keep up my desire to grow.
--Kiran
Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12   #104
HOOT
Asset

Wow

I am currently an IRR recall serving in Iraq, been to Afghanistan once and got to see SF teams at play and have always and will always respect and honor the SF community for MANY reasons. But this training the mind post just sums it up for me. Thank you for helping this soldier put things back into perspective for my military and personal life.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06   #105
einherjar
SF Candidate

Erasmus' Principles

From the Enchridion Militis Christiani: A Guide for the Righteous Protector, by Erasmus 1503, extracted by Sergeant Chris Pascoe, Michigan State Police.

First Rule
INCREASE YOUR FAITH
Even if the world appears mad

Second Rule
ACT UPON YOUR FAITH
Even if you must undergo the loss of everything

Third Rule
ANALYZE YOUR FEARS
You will find that things are not as bad as they appear

Fourth Rule
MAKE VIRTUE THE ONLY GOAL OF YOUR LIFE
Dedicate all your enthusiasm, all your effort, your leisure as well as your business

Fifth Rule
TURN AWAY FROM MATERIAL THINGS
If you are greatly concerned with money you will be weak of spirit

Sixth Rule
TRAIN YOUR MIND TO DISTINGUISH GOOD AND EVIL
Let your rule of government be determined by the common good

Seventh Rule
NEVER LET ANY SETBACK STOP YOU ON YOUR QUEST
We are not perfect - this only means we should try harder

Eighth Rule
IF YOU HAVE FREQUENT TEMPTATIONS, DO NOT WORRY
Begin to worry when you do not have temptation, because that is a sure sign that you cannot distinguish good from evil

Ninth Rule
ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR AN ATTACK
Careful generals set guards even in times of peace

Tenth Rule
SPIT, AS IT WERE, IN THE FACE OF DANGER
Keep a stirring quotation with you for encouragement

Eleventh Rule
THERE ARE TWO DANGERS: ONE IS GIVING UP, THE OTHER IS PRIDE
After you have performed some worthy task, give all the credit to someone else

Twelfth Rule
TURN YOUR WEAKNESS INTO VIRTUE
If you are inclined to be selfish, make a deliberate effort to be giving

Thirteenth Rule
TREAT EACH BATTLE AS THOUGH IT WERE YOUR LAST
And you will finish, in the end, victorious!

Fourteenth Rule
DO NOT ASSUME THAT DOING GOOD ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP A FEW VICES
The enemy you ignore the most is the one who conquers you

Fifteenth Rule
WEIGH YOUR ALTERNATIVES CAREFULLY
The wrong way will often seem easier than the right way

Sixteenth Rule
NEVER ADMIT DEFEAT EVEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN WOUNDED
The good soldier's painful wounds spur him to gather his strength

Seventeenth Rule
ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION
So when the time comes for battle, you will know what to do

Eighteenth Rule
CALM YOUR PASSIONS BY SEEING HOW LITTLE THERE IS TO GAIN
We often worry and scheme about trifling matters of no real importance

Nineteenth Rule
SPEAK WITH YOUR SELF THIS WAY:
If I do what I am considering, would I want my family to know about it?

Twentieth Rule
VIRTUE HAS ITS OWN REWARD
Once a person has it, they would not exchange it for anything

Twenty-First Rule
LIFE CAN BE SAD, DIFFICULT AND QUICK: MAKE IT COUNT FOR SOMETHING
Since we do not know when death will come, act honorably every day

Twenty-Second Rule
REPENT YOUR WRONGS
Those who do not admit their faults have the most to fear
einherjar is offline   Reply With Quote