Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 06-23-2008, 05:49   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Joint Commission Observers (JCO) BH/RS

I'm not sure how many guys are wandering the halls here that spent time as JCOs in BH, but thought I would toss out the idea and see who has some memories or stories.

This is a result of running into the following blog that had some photos of the RS and Mostar....

I spent my time in the SOCCE and Doboj house.....

R10

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archive...oad-to-kos.php

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:02   #2
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

After my merciful release from the SOCCE; I spent the rest of my time doing some great OJT work at the Zvornik house.
Work that would come in handy way later down the road (just did not realize it at the time).

Digging through my box of junk or memories (what it is called depends on how much space it takes up), I found these items from that trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 322453329.jpg (54.1 KB, 432 views)
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32   #3
Pigpen
Quiet Professional

Ocuchani <sp>
Banja Luka
Bugonjo (The House of Pain)
Sarajevo

When it was all said and done I realized I had lived in BH for over two years.

The photos of Zvornik, were those before or after the Rpg attack?
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:44   #4
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

I believe it was one or two rotation before.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:00   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Was that the RPG attack when the dive team was there?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:06   #6
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Roger, Jim B. who was in the room that was hit, talked of the carrot going over his head as he lay in his bed.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Bet that was fun to watch.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07   #8
Pigpen
Quiet Professional

The guy in the bed was Howie (cannot remember full name, I was in Banja Luka that rotation) and yes it was the dive team (083/5) at the time.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:28   #9
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

I'm sure there were quite a few guys in that room. If I remember correctly there were only two sleeping rooms, the one down stairs and the one up stairs and both had guys stacked like fire wood living in them. Not the most spacious house, like some of the others.
I just know the Jim B. version; hell I may have it wrong, I have had a few concusions since then.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 06-23-2008 at 10:34.
Old 06-23-2008, 17:08   #10
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

Dober Dan!! Sta ima danas??

I spent the first tour with LCE RObat in Zenica. Once the Romanians proved they could "handle" it without us Americans, I was dispatched to puzzle palace Central, CJSOTF-Sarajevo, for a lovely 2 months working with some boys with British accents, and some SEALS who mostly lived by their true motto: Sleep, EAt and Lift!! When that fun time was over, I spent time at the JCO house in Livno for one of the greatest experiences in my career .....up to that point.

The next years festivities saw our ODA assigned to MND-South, when the rest of our company was dispatched North. This initially caused some concern to our Team SGT. I went on the site survey, piggy backed after a JCET to Lithuania, and once I got to Buna (the JCO house outside of Mostar) I told him:
"joe, you're gonna have to trust me on this one.....THIS is the shits!!"

JCO Buna......swimming pools, movie stars!! and I'm not kidding! Not to mention frequent forays into the RS (Republik Srpska) to keep it real. There were very real tensions between East and West Mostar. We hunkered down the night the French defeated the Croats in the World cup for some "countercelebratory fire". We had "rioting in the Streets" of Stolac (an inside joke).....and of course frequent and nocturnal visits from "Heads of State" (also an inside joke). One of the most rewarding experiences ever!!
Wish you could have been there, Razor!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 19:37   #11
Firebeef
Quiet Professional

went out and had these made.

pic #1: our "quarters" at ROBAT in Zenica, BiH

pic #2: the pool in front of our "quarters" in Buna, BiH

pic #3: some random dork overlooking Dubrovnik, HR

I know...I know....we had it rough!!!
As far as the quarters in Zenica, they were bad, but the Romanian soldiers had it worse. Our Warrant absolutley refused to be housed with the Romanian Officers, who btw, didn't have quite so bad.

The pool pic is from one of our "Social functions" which were entirely legal and sanctioned for JCOs. Probably 4th of July, but it could have been one of several we hosted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo~3.jpg (49.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Photo~1.jpg (89.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg Photo~2.jpg (82.0 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by Firebeef; 06-23-2008 at 20:09.
Firebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:45   #12
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Buna, eh? I did some time there with the Humanitarian Demining Mission for DOS, just over the bridge over the Neretva River...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebeef View Post
Dober Dan!! Sta ima danas??

I spent the first tour with LCE RObat in Zenica. Once the Romanians proved they could "handle" it without us Americans, I was dispatched to puzzle palace Central, CJSOTF-Sarajevo, for a lovely 2 months working with some boys with British accents, and some SEALS who mostly lived by their true motto: Sleep, EAt and Lift!! When that fun time was over, I spent time at the JCO house in Livno for one of the greatest experiences in my career .....up to that point.

The next years festivities saw our ODA assigned to MND-South, when the rest of our company was dispatched North. This initially caused some concern to our Team SGT. I went on the site survey, piggy backed after a JCET to Lithuania, and once I got to Buna (the JCO house outside of Mostar) I told him:
"joe, you're gonna have to trust me on this one.....THIS is the shits!!"

JCO Buna......swimming pools, movie stars!! and I'm not kidding! Not to mention frequent forays into the RS (Republik Srpska) to keep it real. There were very real tensions between East and West Mostar. We hunkered down the night the French defeated the Croats in the World cup for some "countercelebratory fire". We had "rioting in the Streets" of Stolac (an inside joke).....and of course frequent and nocturnal visits from "Heads of State" (also an inside joke). One of the most rewarding experiences ever!!
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:36   #13
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebeef
Me too, brother, if for no other reason than to listen to Joe's running commentary on the virtues of Gallic culture.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18   #14
CoLawman
Area Commander

That seems odd that you could have dependents with you. The picture of your son in the third photo bears a striking resemblance of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebeef View Post
went out and had these made.

pic #1: our "quarters" at ROBAT in Zenica, BiH

pic #2: the pool in front of our "quarters" in Buna, BiH

pic #3: some random dork overlooking Dubrovnik, HR

I know...I know....we had it rough!!!
As far as the quarters in Zenica, they were bad, but the Romanian soldiers had it worse. Our Warrant absolutley refused to be housed with the Romanian Officers, who btw, didn't have quite so bad.

The pool pic is from one of our "Social functions" which were entirely legal and sanctioned for JCOs. Probably 4th of July, but it could have been one of several we hosted.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41   #15
SF18C
Quiet Professional

One word for all you that got stuck in crappy team houses or imprisioned at Tuzla...

Bijeljina

Or as we referred to it Babe-a-lina! It was in the NE sector of the Republika Srpska! We never did find out what they put in the water but it we were positive it enhanced the female bust line! So many nights out looking for a good Sitrep!

Also got stuck in Gradiska for a tour! Not as nice but a few of us made the trip back to Babe-town a year later! We were greeted like returning rock starts!

Oh, I just have to add the story about my buddy Tony C, out Jr. Charlie! We are driving around in our beat up Pajero and looks at me and says, "How do you know where you are going? All these signs are in Acrylic!"
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!

Last edited by SF18C; 06-27-2008 at 12:51.
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote