Old 08-31-2009, 12:21   #16
commosgt
Asset

So Ive made a few of these for my company, and just playing around with different things. Ive noticed that when I wrap the bare antenna section with Electrical tape it tends to clear the little static that comes in over the radio. I'm fairly new to the commo world (besides basic SINCGARS operation) and Ive been learning all I can. I'm not sure why this works, my only thought is that the tape provides a little shielding from atmospheric white noise? Theirs a good chance I'm way off but if anybody has any input Id love to learn
commosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 14:08   #17
69harley
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCommo View Post
And here is the finished product cleaned, taped, and ready to hand out! Hope this helps.

-BB
TSE Inc manufactures these. They even put them into an RF test chamber to tweak them. Here is a brochure, call Big Ed at TSE Inc. The guys at TSE Inc are very smart about RF.

http://www.tserecon.com/TSERECON/com...s_09-02-27.pdf
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 14:15   #18
Irishsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by commosgt View Post
So Ive made a few of these for my company, and just playing around with different things. Ive noticed that when I wrap the bare antenna section with Electrical tape it tends to clear the little static that comes in over the radio. I'm fairly new to the commo world (besides basic SINCGARS operation) and Ive been learning all I can. I'm not sure why this works, my only thought is that the tape provides a little shielding from atmospheric white noise? Theirs a good chance I'm way off but if anybody has any input Id love to learn
That actually sounds about right. I've done the same thing, as far as he electrical tape goes, and I've never had any issues out of the "mantenna."
Irishsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 15:09   #19
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by commosgt View Post
use heat shrink.........
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 20:53   #20
steelcobra
Asset

Use this guy to figure out the best length for the freqs you use.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

Right-angle connectors work better than the straight ones too, since you can have the cable come at an angle where it won't catch.

And heat-shrink is something we use. Get the wide-bore stuff for the connector end, when it shrinks down it forms into a strain-relief boot.
Old 01-31-2010, 17:15   #21
steelcobra
Asset

Important information about coax cable antennas:

1: Always cut a little long because when worn in the kit, your body's electrical field WILL drop the antenna's sweet spot by about 2-4MHz.

2: A VSWR meter of some kind is NECESSARY when figuring out your antenna length, and it needs to be tuned (trimmed down) while woven into the kit and worn on the body.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:06   #22
SSponte175
Asset

I do not know antenna theory but I have made, based on one made for me by a guy who did, about 30 antennas. Only difference from BBcommo's is the length, 12 ft of RG58, and I stripped all the insulation, exterior and wire mesh, from 9 inches behind the TNC connector. It relies on the center wire to send and receive radio waves. I never had a problem, and it gave me better reception and transmission than my RTO with his 1523 and long whip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.8 KB, 367 views)
SSponte175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 20:19   #23
Electron
Guerrilla

NSNs Link

Use whatever works. Also, here is a link to lots of useful NSNs

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...highlight=NSNs

Last edited by Electron; 11-19-2010 at 20:22.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:10   #24
Weps_Intel_35F
Asset

MBITR Antenna

I recently used Norm's design during a field exercise and it worked flawlessly. It even worked better than my commo guy's setup of an ASIP with OE-254! It's nice being able to talk to the rear without having to haul all that gear. I'm passing this on to our EOD bubbas for their upcoming deployment.
Thanks again Norm!
Weps_Intel_35F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44   #25
69harley
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
No NSN yet the Company that makes them is RadioWavz. REF purchases them frequently. That is an avenue to look in to if you are having problems getting them through the normal channels.

Hope that helps. It is one assembly no sepate parts unless you want the BNC quick Disconnect. Or Coax extension.
I have on of these on my desk. It is a piece of shit and the VSWR on it is through the roof.

Last edited by Eagle5US; 11-22-2011 at 18:09.
Old 11-22-2011, 14:56   #26
69harley
Guerrilla

Four posts, one is the required intro and the other three relate to this antenna? Hmmm......Judging from your location and the location of the company, it would appear you are somehow related to the company.

Come here to hawk some gear did we?

Last edited by 69harley; 11-22-2011 at 15:00.
Old 11-22-2011, 15:25   #27
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thread closed until Buckaroo answers my PM-

eta*
He answered; his answers were not satisfactory as they were in direct contradiction to what he said here.
He has been BANNED - thread is open for discussion.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 11-22-2011 at 18:13.
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:05   #28
bravo22b
Guerrilla

Pre-made RG58 cables

Maybe a stupid question, but here goes anyway...

Is there any reason why buying a pre-made RG-58 cable with TNC or BNC connectors already factory installed, and then cutting it to size and performing the other steps illustrated wouldn't be a good idea?

I can't find RG58 easily available other than on a 1000" spool, and it is just as easy to buy and RG58 patch cord online as it is to buy cable by the foot.

My idea was to buy a 10' patch cable with straight TNC connectors on each end and cut it in half, which would obviously give me two "mantenna" size pieces. It seems to me that since the cost difference between bare cable and a patch cord is fairly insignificant, the advantage of having a factory installed connector and strain relief would be worthwhile.

I could also get them with BNC connectors for quicker disconnect (I already have the TNC to BNC adapters for my MBITR's). The only disadvantage I can think of to that is one more connection leaking RF energy.

Any thoughts?
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32   #29
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo22b View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but here goes anyway...

Is there any reason why buying a pre-made RG-58 cable with TNC or BNC connectors already factory installed, and then cutting it to size and performing the other steps illustrated wouldn't be a good idea?

I can't find RG58 easily available other than on a 1000" spool, and it is just as easy to buy and RG58 patch cord online as it is to buy cable by the foot.

My idea was to buy a 10' patch cable with straight TNC connectors on each end and cut it in half, which would obviously give me two "mantenna" size pieces. It seems to me that since the cost difference between bare cable and a patch cord is fairly insignificant, the advantage of having a factory installed connector and strain relief would be worthwhile.

I could also get them with BNC connectors for quicker disconnect (I already have the TNC to BNC adapters for my MBITR's). The only disadvantage I can think of to that is one more connection leaking RF energy.

Any thoughts?
You're only "leaking" RF with a poor adaptor or poor installation; there is loss though but inconsequential really for your purposes. If you didn't after all this time find an answer, RG-58 jumpers are all over the place from any of the mainstream cable suppliers with TNC's already on - google=friend.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...egoryId=665933
Digikey, Mouser, R&L Electronics et al would all have this stuff too.
Happy trails
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:29   #30
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

RG-58 was/is used for 10base2 networking, so some network equipment shops may still have some smaller quantities floating around (I saw a few hits on Amazon for 50-100ft rolls). Additionally, as far as connectors are concerned, can you use the standard BNC compression connectors as used by CCTV systems(this way you could skip the TNC to BNC adapter)? Also, would RG-59 be suitable? It does have a higher impedance, but is usually available by the foot at Lowes and HD etc.

Last edited by BOfH; 04-05-2012 at 13:47. Reason: Spelling, grammar
BOfH is offline   Reply With Quote