Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 08-04-2017, 18:00   #1201
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
I actually prefer it to prime rib no waste and perhaps just a bit firmer texture. What do you have to pay a # out your way? This was nearly $9 per. From what I gather you only get this cut off of the older cattle I guess most of the beef we get at the store here is not mature enough.
My wife buys them at Smart and Final, bagged for restaurants, containing about 7 tri-tips. They are between $3 to $4 a pound usually. They are far more popular out here in the West so more readily available. We had so many that I cut one into steaks.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 19:07   #1202
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It's hard to find a Tri-Tip in this area, none of the regular grocery stores carry them.
The local meat locker however was able to procure one for me kind of pricey but it was like eating the best prime rib I ever had. Apple wood smoked for 75 minutes at 240 degrees, put it to rest for 30 minutes then carved it. Served it up with Mock Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole and garden fresh green beans, warm Southern Peach Cobbler brought up the rear.

Attachment 34048 Attachment 34049
Attachment 34050 Attachment 34051
Ahh the look of "perfection"........ I can smell and taste it from here......
Old 08-06-2017, 17:34   #1203
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It's hard to find a Tri-Tip in this area, none of the regular grocery stores carry them.
The local meat locker however was able to procure one for me kind of pricey but it was like eating the best prime rib I ever had. Apple wood smoked for 75 minutes at 240 degrees, put it to rest for 30 minutes then carved it. Served it up with Mock Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole and garden fresh green beans, warm Southern Peach Cobbler brought up the rear.

Attachment 34048 Attachment 34049
Attachment 34050 Attachment 34051
That's my favorite cut to smoke. I have about 20 different rubs in the pantry, but have found salt and pepper work really well on a tri-tip.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:51   #1204
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
That's my favorite cut to smoke. I have about 20 different rubs in the pantry, but have found salt and pepper work really well on a tri-tip.
And my fav, for many cuts, is salt, pepper and garlic....... I usually keep a mix handy in a ziplock bag.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:30   #1205
Box
Quiet Professional

keeping it simple today... jambalaya - but using smoked turkey links instead of andouille

the tri-tip looks good; I have been getting them from the commissary. Instead of cooking it whole, I have been slicing them into cutlets and cooking them like little new York strip steaks
the family love tri-tip steak cutlets !!!
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 08-07-2017 at 05:33.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 21:00   #1206
mark46th
Quiet Professional

These are ribs made using the Team Sergeant method. Cook the ribs in your usual manner. Cut them into individual ribs, coat them in Kraft Original BBQ sauce. Place them on a hot grill, turning often. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn and to extinguish the inevitable flare ups... Deeelish!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.JPG (48.7 KB, 33 views)
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 21:28   #1207
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
"Do you hate me now?"

I sorta did what you suggested. I smoked the brisket flat with mesquite charcoal for 3 hours and then "wrapped" it in a Ziploc bag and put it in the SV oven for 24 hours.

The rest of my immediate family lives in Texas and they always brag about their briskets (and they are great), this was better by far!

Served with potato salad and corn on the cob.

Reality check: We watched Taking Chance before dinner, though. It is Memorial Day, not National BBQ day!

Salute all! Hug your family.

Pat

ETA: Temps were 200° in the smoker and 155° in the SV.
OK, tonight I smoked another 1/3 of the brisket but in reverse order. I SVed it for 24 hours then smoked it for 3. Terrible! It was dry and one of the worst briskets I've ever had. I still have 1/3 left and I will do it the way I did it the first time. That will let me know if it's the cooking method or the time in the freezer that's the problem.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03   #1208
BigJimCalhoun
Guerrilla

Going to make tequila lime wings today if I can find a place got get tequila. We don't really drink at our house and the liquor stores are closed, evidently, in Texas on Sundays.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:09   #1209
Penn
Area Commander

Old school butchering techniques, utilizing only a once good knife and mallet. The trick to splitting down the center of the chine, or backbone is a solid and certain 1st strike swiftly delivered. No pussyfooting around. Removing the silver skin, or facia properly yields the add bonus of Lamb Capriccio, one of tonights specials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0217.jpg (52.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (82.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.jpg (87.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Penn; 09-16-2017 at 12:50.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45   #1210
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Old school butchering techniques, utilizing only a once good knife and mallet. The trick to splitting down the center of the chine, or backbone is a solid and certain 1st strike swiftly delivered. No pussyfooting around. Removing the silver skin, or facia properly yields the add bonus of Lamb Capriccio, one of tonights specials #dfloretrestaurant
Was that 1st strike too swift or too solid?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49   #1211
Penn
Area Commander

That a poorly made knife, as for the strike
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 19:38   #1212
cbtengr
Area Commander

Smell that Smoke

9# Pork Shoulder about to meet it's Waterloo.

PPButt.jpg
Old 11-28-2017, 18:31   #1213
cbtengr
Area Commander

Scottish Comfort Food

My bride cooked her first batch of Mince tonight, I may be a bit biased but I think it was very good. The dish included tatties and neeps and was quite satisfying.

Mince.jpg
Old 11-28-2017, 19:20   #1214
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Nice!

(Seriously, what’s not satisfying about meat and potatoes? What are those orange things?)
Old 12-10-2017, 18:34   #1215
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And my fav, for many cuts, is salt, pepper and garlic....... I usually keep a mix handy in a ziplock bag.
My grandmother cooked every cut of meat with salt, pepper, garlic and oregano and rubbed with good olive oil. Anything she made was heavenly...her roasts were to die for. My cousins and I talk about them to this day. Ours come out good...but not like gram's!