Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 11-30-2012, 12:27   #1
Badger52
Area Commander

PRI's return in Mexico

FNC link here
Snippets:
Quote:
The political party that ruled México for seven straight decades is back.

The Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, will reclaim the presidency Saturday after 12 years out of power, promising to have "learned from their mistakes" while assuring Mexicans there's no chance of a return to what some called "the perfect dictatorship," marked by a mixture of populist handouts, rigged votes and occasional bloodshed.

President-elect Enrique Peña Nieto calls Saturday a crowning moment of an effort to reform and modernize the party that ruled without interruption from 1929 to 2000.
Yet critics already see hints of a yearning for the old days of an imperial presidency in some of the measures the PRI is pushing through Congress.

A bill proposed by Peña Nieto would gather the police and security apparatus under the control of the Interior Department, an office long used by the PRI to co-opt or pressure opponents, rig elections and strong-arm the media.
Plus ca change? If they don't hold their legislature I wonder how far that will get.

President Obama said during their initial meeting:
Quote:
"But I think that’s representative of the strength of the relationship between the United States and Mexico," President Obama said. "It’s not just a matter of policy, but it’s a matter of people, as represented by the many U.S. citizens who travel to Mexico, who live in Mexico, and obviously the incredible contribution that Mexican Americans make to our economy, our society, and to our politics."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32   #2
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

First Mexican Revolution (vs Spain) = 1810-1821

Second Mexican Revolution (vs self) = 1910-1920 (mas o menos)

What time is it now???? Overdue? Quien sabe?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52   #3
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

From personal experience, I can say that the Mexican government lends new meaning to the term "Drama Queen"
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02   #4
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Talking to my friends in Mexico the general feeling is business as usual. The old government leaves after plundering the country, the new government comes in with empty pockets to fill...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50   #5
CombatMuffin
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Talking to my friends in Mexico the general feeling is business as usual. The old government leaves after plundering the country, the new government comes in with empty pockets to fill...
It seems that way. The Presidential transition was a little flash, a little bang, but everything is back like nothing happened. Just another person in the same chair.

Though many fear the old regime of dinosaurios will be back, it seems as though the PRI can't afford to continue without a change of strategy, otherwise they risk the left-wing opposition taking them over.