Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 11-24-2014, 14:38   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Warrior Diplomat: A Green Beret's Battles from Washington to Afghanistan

I have to get a copy of this and put it near the top of my stack.

Now this is speaking truth to power.

Unfortunately, I doubt if it has changed much.

TR

Tales of war: Getting 12 approvals for a relatively minor mission in Afghanistan

HTTP://RICKS.FOREIGNPOLICY.COM/POSTS...IN_AFGHANISTAN

BY THOMAS E. RICKS
NOVEMBER 24, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Here's a striking excerpt from a new book by Michael G. Waltz titled Warrior Diplomat: A Green Beret's Battles from Washington to Afghanistan. In this passage, Waltz is briefing Michael Vickers, a visiting Pentagon official, and himself a former Special Forces soldier.

"Okay, what's the issue? Get after them," Vickers said.

I explained that for the more complex missions, such as a mission to search for a weapons cache or to kill or capture a Haqqani commander, my Special Forces teams had to assemble a forty-slide conop for briefing and approval by a dozen higher headquarters if the team wanted to use helicopters.

"A dozen command approvals?" Vickers asked me incredulously. "Name them."

The lieutenant colonel who was accompanying him glared at me over Vickers' shoulder.

"Absolutely. Now, assuming that the targeted Taliban commander has gone through all the hoops to verify that he is indeed bad, which is a painstaking process in itself, my ODAs then have to put together a full mission brief and get it approved by"-I ticked them off on my fingers-"one, the Special Forces company commander; two, the Special Operations Task Force commander at Bagram; three, the Special Forces group commander at Bagram; four, the Special Forces general in Kabul in charge of all Special Operations Forces; five, the local battle space owner [conventional battalion commander]; six, the battle space owner's brigade commander [the conventional brigade commander]; and seven, the regional commanding general at Bagram for eastern Afghanistan."

Vickers' brow was furrowed. I continued. "Then, if the mission is using helicopters that belong to the conventional units, as most of them do, we also would have to brief, eight, the aviation battalion commander, and nine, the aviation brigade commander." If the mission was going after Taliban leadership, I said, then the ISAF commander or one of his deputies had to provide his approval. "That's ten briefs.

"Finally, sir, as you know," I continued, "we are proud of the fact that we always conduct our missions with our partnered Afghan Army units. But that also means their leadership should be informed. So we also brief the ANA battalion commander; who in turn needs to brief his boss, the ANA brigade commander. That's numbers eleven and twelve." I had run out of fingers.

The staff at each of these levels always had a wide variety of questions, and each of these levels had veto power.

I also explained that before the conop got to step three, some poor staff officer in our headquarters had to make sure it conformed to a 102-item checklist that was focused on the formatting of the Power-Point so that the myriad mission requests coming in from ODAs sprinkled across Afghanistan were uniform in appearance when briefing the various commanders.

For these reasons, the conop had to be submitted over a week in advance in order to get staffed and briefed at all of these levels. The higher the level of mission, the further in advance the conop had to be submitted.

"Keep in mind, sir, this is just to do a search or target one midlevel Taliban commander."

"What the hell are we doing here?" Vickers snapped to the lieutenant colonel.
--
Michael G. Waltz is a lieutenant colonel in the Special Forces (reserve component), president of Metis Solutions, and senior national security fellow at the New America Foundation. Formerly, he was commander of a Special Forces company, counterterrorism advisor to the vice president, and director for Afghanistan policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense-Policy. He will be speaking next Thursday, Dec. 4, at 12:15 at New American in Washington, D.C.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 15:06   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

A - effin' - stounding!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 15:40   #3
Mustang Man
Guerrilla

Damn, and I figured you guys hardly had to ever deal with these types of bureaucracies... Has it always been like this for SF or is this a result of the times and leaderships?

BMT
Mustang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 21:16   #4
Deadhead 63A1
Quiet Professional

The author was the other CPT on my Robin Sage team. Pretty good dude. Lost track of him after the course so I can't speak to anything he did after graduation.
Deadhead 63A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 22:10   #5
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Sounds about right. Unfortunately.
Old 11-24-2014, 23:33   #6
Box
Quiet Professional

he forgot to mention that the DCOP and DGOV usually need to be courted as well

...so that brings the total t 14

but whos counting
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:17   #7
Scimitar
Area Commander

For us not in the know...

...So what would work? What would be a reasonable level of interaction?

Is this simply the reality of the increasing complexities of warfare, added to the ever increasing coverage of modern media, combined with the voting public's decreasing appetite for "collateral damage" requiring more tightly run operations?

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 11-25-2014 at 01:22.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56   #8
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
Damn, and I figured you guys hardly had to ever deal with these types of bureaucracies... Has it always been like this for SF or is this a result of the times and leaderships?
We used to own the battlespace. In those days it was a 5W on a time sensitive target and a 5-10 page death-by-PowerPoint CONOP with approval from your FOB (your Bn CDR; with air, CJSOTF (your group commander) to roll for non-time sensitive targets. Usually we were always briefing our commanders on stuff we were looking at so they already had a heads up as to probable missions we would be trying to get approved.

Possesion (of the battlespace) is 9/10ths of the law it would seem.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:57   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Amazing what the future brings..
Will share this tidbit..

To think that when I was a simple grunt we had simple rules.

If they shoot we shoot.
If you're lucky, we shoot first,
before they get a chance.
When time is available, fill in the AAR...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:13   #10
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy L-bach View Post
he forgot to mention that the DCOP and DGOV usually need to be courted as well

...so that brings the total t 14

but whos counting
Haha..yeah who's counting

Great write up.,. to the point.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28   #11
Box
Quiet Professional

Look on the bright side...
...at least we dont have to write OPORDERs any more

Good Times
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 16:34   #12
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

I'm with JJ on this one! I guess us FOGs had it made. A MTTs mission was quite simple - find the bad guys, shoot the bad guys- repeat. Either you controlled the battle space or the enemy did. Pretty simple. The most complex mission planning involved drawing attack and egress routes in the dirt with a stick.

Just seems as though the age of accountability and micromanagement has conventionalized SF. I hope I am wrong in that assessment. Makes me wonder as to how difficult it will be for the Regiment to reclaim its UW roots once all of the structure is gone. Where is the institutional memory?

Just finished reading "100 Victories" by Linda Robinson a couple of months ago. It seems in the early years of the A'stan war that the teams had a great deal of latitude more like what us FOGs experienced. But in the later years the conventional micromanagement crept in as described by Ricks and things just deteriorated from there. That's just got to be frustrating as hell for the AD Brothers.

Seems as though we just keep repeating the same mistakes.
Old 04-13-2015, 15:11   #13
zauber1
Auxiliary

Book signing 3 Apr 15

I got to meet him at the Beretta Gallery store in Dallas during a book signing. Impressive speaker.
Old 04-14-2015, 13:00   #14
PRB
Quiet Professional

Amazing!
That has nothing to do with mission planning/co ord...that's just CYA at the O levels.

Maybe this will bleed over into the 'May I kiss you training' and you'll have to give a 40 pg slide show to your intended amour indicating your intentions.
The last few slides ought to be fun.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 13:28   #15
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

As a graduate of O&I (circa 1996ish) I could tell you the portability of sand table complete with G.I. Joe figures and Palm trees from a tropical cocktail wouldn't survive the first mission briefing let alone travel through all those levels and still be intact to represent the original and best COA CONOP.

I blame Bill Gates and the computer for inventing the concept of "Risk Adverse Micro-Management" (aka "It wasn't my fault") brought to you by a company named: MicroSoft.

Had a briefing go as high as SecDef and the in country Ambassador once. I don't recall it going through that many "non-approving" intermediaries to get the "Go do great things and tell us how it turned out, good luck."

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote