Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 05-22-2010, 09:32   #1
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

RIP Maj (Ret) Joe Andrzejewski

Yesterday I found out that my good friend, Joe Andrzejewski passed away from a medical condition. Joe was the Commander of the "HALO Committee," the old name for the MFF Schoolhouse when it was located at Ft. Bragg. I am very sad to see him go. In memory of MAJ (Ret.) "Jumpin Joe" Andrzejewski, D8826 Blue Skies, Black Death.

Below is an article written by Joe for the American Legion "Veteran's Corner" column in 2005. The bolded part is something Joe said that I think is pretty important and reflects the true character of a Special Forces Soldier.

Quote:
In 1956, Captain Jacques-Andre Istel envisioned a “skydiving” method that would “place men silently, unobserved and accurately in enemy-held territory”. The Commander of the Special Warfare Center, Fort Bragg, NC approved Istel’s training concept and in March 1957, members of the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) attended the first Basic Free Fall Parachuting Course, conducted at Fort Bragg, NC. MAJ Lucien Conein, a former OSS (Office of Strategic Services) operative and French speaking Commander of FC-1, served as project officer and became the first officer in charge of MFF (military free fall) training within the Special Warfare Center.

The history of this advanced infiltration technique includes many impressive achievements, from the first combat HALO (high altitude low opening) insertions into Laos during the Vietnam War to the recent successful MFF operations into Afghanistan and Iraq by SOF (special operations forces). In 1995, the USSOCOM (US Special Operations Command) directed all MFF training to be consolidated and further directed the US Army to move the training site to Yuma Proving Ground, AZ. To date there have been over 35,000 parachutists trained.

On 24 September, the Military Freefall School hosted the 10th Annual Ball for instructors, friends and family. I was honored to have been requested to attend as the guest speaker, after having served as the commander from 1984 to 1986 at Fort Bragg. It was a critical period for the school, where the course expanded from a cadre of 22 to 70+ instructors to accommodate a threefold increase in student attendance. The school adopted two exceptional training techniques leveraged from the civilian skydiving community; accelerated freefall and tandem training, in what proved to be a very successful effort at improving the quality of instruction and increasing the graduation rate for the SOF community. It was also the period where the first proposal was submitted to move the school to Yuma, AZ where the weather and airspace availability provided a training environment conducive to year round high altitude training.

The landscape, facilities and equipment have changed over the years, but the instructors remain some of the most professional, dedicated and highly proficient practitioners of the art of high altitude parachuting. It is fitting, because an instructor affects minds and hearts for an eternity; no one knows how far his influence goes, for those he trains influence others they meet.

Joe Andrzejewski (aka Gonzo), MAJ (Ret), US Army Special Forces
Inducted as a lifetime member in the “Brotherhood and Lineage” of the US Army Military Free Fall School, September 24, 2005

Joe was quite accomplished, but so unassuming that he didn't tout his accomplishments - rather he valued the contributions he made to the many groups and communities he was a part of.

From the acknowledgements page of Clive Cussler's "Atlantis Found" (1999):

Quote:
"I am very grateful to Major (Retired) Joe Andrzejewski for his generous and valuable advice on the Special Forces"

I am honored to have known Joe and to be able to call him my friend.

Funeral Services are as follows:

Place:

Bradley Funeral Home

601 Route 73 South
Marlton, NJ 08053

http://www.bradleyfuneralhome-marlton.com/

Date/Time:

Thursday May 27, 2010

Viewing: 1200-1400 hrs.

Funeral services immediately following the viewing. There will be no burial. He will be cremated.

The obituary will not be posted until Tuesday in the Courier Post (the local South Jersey Newspaper) http://www.courierpostonline.com/

Gillian has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations in Joe’s name be made to the DAV or any veterans organization of your choice.

The link to Joe's Obituary where you can leave comments can be found HERE

ANDRZEJEWSKI, Joseph A., Major (Retired) U.S. Army Special Forces Died unexpectedly on May 21, 2010 at the age of 54. Resident of Marlton, NJ. Husband of 24 years to Gillian. Beloved father of Dylan. Brother of Donna Brazinski. Son of the late Vincent and Phyllis Andrzejewski. He is also survived by his uncle Frank and aunt Mary Jane Forlin. In 1977 he earned his BA from Kings College. He received his MPA from Troy State University in 1988. Joseph's military career began when he completed ROTC and was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army. He would go on to graduate from Ranger School as well as the elite Special Forces. A few of his innumerable military accomplishments and positions held over nearly two decades of service include: Chief, Military Freefall Branch and Combat Development Officer, JFK Special Warfare Center; Commander, Special Forces Operational Detachment, Berlin, Germany; Field Office Chief, Special Projects Support Activity (SPSA) Fort Bragg, NC; R&D Officer and Section Chief, 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment; and Program Manager, Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC). Relatives and friends are invited to the viewing on Thursday May 27th from 12:00 Noon - 2:00 PM at The BRADLEY FUNERAL HOME, Rt. 73 & Evesham Rd., Marlton, NJ. Funeral Service will be 2:00 PM at the funeral home on Thursday. Interment will take place at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in Joseph's memory to the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) or any veteran organization of your choice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joe2.jpg (65.9 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Papa Zero Three; 05-25-2010 at 07:45. Reason: Edit to add funeral details
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, Joe.

Thanks for your service.

Great to have known you and jumped with you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:15   #4
GANGSTER
Quiet Professional

RIP Joe
Henry V
GANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 13:09   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 14:28   #6
Sinister
Quiet Professional

I am shocked and saddened.

Quote:
I was honored to have been requested to attend as the guest speaker, after having served as the commander from 1984 to 1986 at Fort Bragg. It was a critical period for the school, where the course expanded from a cadre of 22 to 70+ instructors to accommodate a threefold increase in student attendance. The school adopted two exceptional training techniques leveraged from the civilian skydiving community; accelerated freefall and tandem training, in what proved to be a very successful effort at improving the quality of instruction and increasing the graduation rate for the SOF community.

The landscape, facilities and equipment have changed over the years, but the instructors remain some of the most professional, dedicated and highly proficient practitioners of the art of high altitude parachuting. It is fitting, because an instructor affects minds and hearts for an eternity; no one knows how far his influence goes, for those he trains influence others they meet.
Joe was a very good man and I am proud to say I served with him as his Executive Officer, Safety Officer, and as an Instructor.

LTC Dave Liwanag
MFFI-159
Military Free Fall Division, 1984-1987
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:25   #7
Stingray
Guerrilla

RIP Maj (Ret) Joe Andrzejewski

Rest in Peace Major Andrzejewski. Thank you for service Sir.

Sincerely,

"In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance, My head is bloody, but unbowed." William Ernest Henley
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46   #8
LarryW
Area Commander

RIP, sir.

Thank you for the post, Papa Zero Three. A superior quote from this warrior. Bet there were many.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:50   #9
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Rest In Peace, Sir.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:55   #10
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Rest In Peace Major.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 13:18   #11
jbour13
Area Commander

RIP Sir.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 13:57   #12
echoes
Area Commander

Rest In Peace, Sir.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 16:05   #13
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Rest in Peace

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 18:09   #14
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Blue skies, Sir.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 17:43   #15
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

RIP Joe

I just talked to Joe a few weeks ago at Roger Picketts funeral and seemed alright. You can never tell what is happening around you at times.

RIP and Blue Skies

Habu