Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48   #31
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
How many do you think they are going to allow to fail SUT or Land Nav AFTER they go through several months of language training? How many recycles will you give a guy in Sage before he just gets passed on?

TR
I know things have changed since my time. But why do we send someone to language school before you know if they are going to complete the Q-course basics?
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03   #32
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
I know things have changed since my time. But why do we send someone to language school before you know if they are going to complete the Q-course basics?
Because some genius thought that a Q Course change would look good on his report card.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 23:59   #33
LongTabSigO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
When we went to 8 classes a year at Robin sage, we tried getting someone dropped from the course, they just got recycled to the next class on another team. Unless he had a major safety valition where someone actually got hurt, they were going to gradulate. However most of my students that I had made the grade and given time on teams would be an asset down the road.

CD
I've heard this subject discussed in various places for the last 25 or so years. Has there really been a time when EVERY SINGLE GRADUATE absolutely deserved to make it?

Not accusing...just asking...
LongTabSigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:57   #34
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
SFC W:

Easy.

Graduate 750 plus students per year, regardless of standards.

TR

Say isn't so TR,that's unreal that its gone this far!

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06   #35
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

BG Dick Potter was talking about a 4th BN back in '84 when he was the 10th GRP CDR.

He wantd them to be viewed as an independant brigade and the CDR would be an 07 slot.

In late 2007 the 45th Infantry Brigade (OK NG) showed up in Iraq - commanded by a BG. The other brigade CDRs were O6s - they were not pleased.

Since GO slots are regulated by Congress I doubt that this will happen any time soon. But I'm sure the SF higher-ups are planning for more 07 slots in the future. They are just laying the ground work.
De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by Aoresteen; 06-12-2010 at 04:11.
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 21:10   #36
Joker
Quiet Professional

All of SOF was increased in the 2006 QDR (Quadrennial Defense Review). This was done as we saw SOF being over extended in the Sand Box as well as the requirements growing in the other GCC’s AORs. It is thought that it will alleviate some of the rotational deployment stress on the units.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 13:00   #37
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
I always wondered why they dident just reactivate groups, But instead made a 4th BN in each group. Wouldent it have been easyer to just reactivate a group and fill it Would you not be accomplishing the same thing. More SF, More command positions, Easyer to equip a already established system, No need to restructure team numbers and add confusion, Place the reactivated group in a new location would mean less building and save money.
It would also bring back a piece of history and pride.
Any thoughts ?
Good question, here are some thoughts from an SF guy who just helped stand up a 4th Bn which should flag in August. Higher does not seem to be set in stone on the future of the Bn they are just tasked to produce it. There has been conjecture that the Bn will be simply a Special Troops type Bn with all the support packages placed into and that the line companies would become D Co. of the first three Bns. We have all asked the questions as to how they have done it why not a Delta Co?? or why not bring back one of the Groups 11/12th and the first real question was was since all the ODA's are still not fully manned why not fill them first and see what are needs are then?? The bottom line is it boils down to politics SF has evolved and morphed so many times in its history this isn't new. As of today the new Battalion will allow us to do more without the back to back deployments of tired SF guys and their families even if the manpower is the same or the quality bad the numbers on some power point says we have 4 functioning battalions.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 13:08   #38
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Say isn't so TR,that's unreal that its gone this far!

Big Teddy
Yeah brother it is true I just left SWTG in Aug09 we were running 4-90 man tracks 4x per year. We recommended reliefs and NTR higher pushed them through, the quality is dropped big time or it had at the time underground we got fat kids showing up to group, talk to any current or recent instructor. You got O's who rarely set foot on the ground reading a packet trying to meet their quotas
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 13:35   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

WD:

Do us a favor, review the board rules, and introduce yourself before posting further.

Appreciate it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:57   #40
18Z
Quiet Professional

I think its all about the STAR

I would have to say that I agree with Pete, I know we are talking about why a 4th Bn but lets look at the bigger picture here. Not only did we add a 4th Bn of SF guys but we have also added a GSB (Group Support Bn) so in actuality we added 2 Bns to each Group.....I think we are headed for a BG position for the Grp Cdr. After all he is a SOTF Cdr and everyone he interacts with has a Star.

just my opinion...

Mike
18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 13:46   #41
Dozer523
BANNED USER

The fourth battalion sure messed up team numbers.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 00:57   #42
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:

I actually had a former USASFC and SWCS CG tell me that he never thought we could fill the 4th battlions with SF, the extra positions were actually there to allow for SF to expand with non-18 CMF support personnel without having to ask DA for additional authorizations.

TR
I was told the exact same thing by an SF senior officer currently in an active group.
Old 06-22-2010, 17:39   #43
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

The GRP CDR being an 07, as a inciting point, makes sense. I have been speculating the same thing over the last 3 years. I mean the Deputy CDR is the same rank as the CDR?? Tell me that doesn't smell of future planning.

Sorry gents...I am still stuck on the fact that SF leadership is pushing to make the regiment look more like the regular army. Soon you will have someone with the bright idea of standing up the 2nd SF Regiment or calling BNs Brigades and so on.

I normally defer to Green Salsa on this stuff because the man is a genius BUT in the L-O-N-G R-U-N that thing called future planning that all commanders think means next week this is going to bit us in the ASS. We should have reactivated a new groups and dug in. 6 AD groups would have no problem getting regional areas of expertise. The world is a bloody big place with LOTS of turds that need flushed.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 17:43   #44
Richard
Quiet Professional

I figured it was because the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd numerical designations were already taken and the number 4 was next in line...anything else makes less sense to me.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 18:21   #45
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye. The best anyone can say is relax, stop speculating (especially since the available info is woefully incomplete), and go along for the ride. If everything comes to fruition, the SFG(A)s will be stronger/better than they are now, certainly better than if they had reactivated some of the old SFG(A) #s and kept the previous force structure.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote