Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 02-07-2011, 07:15   #16
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I picked up a copy of 4 months to a 4 hour Marathon by David Kuehls.
His focus is developing endurance followed by stamina and finally speed.
Phil Maffetone's The Big Book of Endurance Training & Racing has the same premise. He does advocate lower profile heels, but actually supports the premise with experiental evidence (he was the trainer for Mark Allen among others).
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30   #17
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
I'll never call anyone out here, bc it's not my place.
That's about the only thing you got right in your post. You might want to check the attitude at the door. It helps to check the dates on the previous posts before making blanket statements. It also helps to place the previous discussions into their correct context. Nobody cares what you wear/use on your own time (toe shoes are gaining traction with segments of the SF community); bringing/wearing toe shoes to a military selection course that has a packing list and a mandate to weed out people too stupid to follow simple instructions is completely different.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47   #18
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...bringing/wearing toe shoes to a military selection course that has a packing list and a mandate to weed out people too stupid to follow simple instructions is completely different.
Good way to 'get the boot' if you ask me.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 18:54   #19
theblackknight
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Nobody cares what you wear/use on your own time (toe shoes are gaining traction with segments of the SF community); bringing/wearing toe shoes to a military selection course that has a packing list and a mandate to weed out people too stupid to follow simple instructions is completely different.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything on topic in this thread about selection? I wouldn't bring them to any kind of pipeline training either.
theblackknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 19:19   #20
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything on topic in this thread about selection? I wouldn't bring them to any kind of pipeline training either.
Everything here is about selection.
Natural selection
Pre-selection
Selection
Post selection (tabbed)
Teamroom selection (actually, that's survival)

So yeah, you DID miss something . . . a few times. Be quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
So is Dozer... and his pulse-taking methods! (Neener, neener, neener - yourself! )
I JUST noticed this.

Last edited by Dozer523; 02-07-2011 at 19:36.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 19:04   #21
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
olhamada, your pretty brave for that post.

There is a lot of unfounded,downright hate for 5 fingers shoes and the minimalist movement in this forum. A lot of them, training for their last fight has come and gone, and they don't want to know what they don't know.

A lot have and do cast 5 fingers as nothing but a fad offshoot of crossfit(you know,another fad), something for hippy rock climbers to wear with their hemp jewelry. A few have questioned the function of the shoe, but most get stuck on the aesthetics, and never move past that. I would hate to think the company here treat PT as a function of fashion.

I'll never call anyone out here, bc it's not my place, but it's their training, not mine. Have fun with those marshmellow shoes.

Bottom line is, I've not found one article written by anybody, professional or joe, that argues against barefoot. On the contrary, many people with B.A.'s and M.D.'s are saying this is how it should have been all along.
The whole barefoot thing isn't an either/or question.

My old man has been running competitively for over 50 years and coached for several decades as well.
He's used many different training methods/equipment for many different distances.

In his experience, modern running shoes have been of great benefit.
That being said, he acknowledges that their is some benefit to be derived from limited barefoot running as a supplemental exercise.

Don't get captured by "magical" techniques, equipment, or nutrition.
Your body will not condition faster than a certain rate which is only minorly affected by quirky techniques/equipment/nutrition.

Just plan ahead, allowing more than enough time to get in shape, and put in the miles.
"The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare".
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 02-08-2011 at 20:16. Reason: can't spell
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23   #22
dualforces
Asset

Some info which may be of help...

I am working on a project right now with NIKE for their FREE technology. It is a sole that sits at the middle of the flexibility scale with 0.0 equating to running
bare foot and a 10.0 equal to a standard running shoe.

The take down is similar to barefoot running benefits. They state and I am summarizing..
"..This is the driving principle of Nike Free 5.0 V2 with Natural Motion Engineering technology. By allowing your feet to flex and grip, the Nike Free puts your foot muscles in charge of the balance and stability of your body while you run. The result is stronger muscles from your toes to your hips."

Aside from the marketing propaganda, this makes sense. I have run in the shoes. Kills my feet. I can only do it a couple times a week. At the same time, strengthening & conditioning always seems to include some discomfort.

What interests me is the combination of feet/hips/core strengthening benefits. Not only for running/rucking, but for jiu jitsu.

Best, R.
dualforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:53   #23
theblackknight
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
The whole barefoot thing isn't an either/or question.

My old man has been running competitively for over 50 years and coached for several decades as well.
He's used many different training methods/equipment for many different distances.

In his experience, modern running shoes have been of great benefit.
That being said, he acknowledges that their is some benefit to be derived from limited barefoot running as a supplemental exercise.

Don't get captured by "magical" techniques, equipment, or nutrition.
Your body will not condition faster than a certain rate which is only minorly affected by quirky techniques/equipment/nutrition.

Just plan ahead, allowing more than enough time to get in shape, and put in the miles.
"The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare".
Awesome post thanks.
theblackknight is offline   Reply With Quote