Old 02-18-2009, 03:43   #16
Scimitar
Area Commander

This just popped up on Facebook

Quote:
Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised.
S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03   #17
Kosta
Asset

According to the blog, the reason for the TOS change was to make explicit their legal right to retain, for example, messages that you have sent to other people. It would be pretty silly if they had to delete all messages from you if you left.

However, people (rightly) protested the Orwellian wording, so now they've reverted while they search for a less totalitarian way to phrase it.

libertas iustitiaque omnibus

Currently reading more, posting less.
Kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22   #18
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
According to the blog, the reason for the TOS change was to make explicit their legal right to retain, for example, messages that you have sent to other people. It would be pretty silly if they had to delete all messages from you if you left.

However, people (rightly) protested the Orwellian wording, so now they've reverted while they search for a less totalitarian way to phrase it.
This topic has come up on just about all IT service TOS's..

The provider has to make back-ups and archives of customer data,, all of it.. Which in turn creates bazillions of entries. This in turn makes it almost impossible to manage individual transactions..

Net Net,, It's a big CYA,, they need to keep the info so you can recover,, but the costs and activities involved are their responsibility to maintain. They just want to be able to keep the customer happy,, and not have to get everyones permission every day they do redundant data recovery back-up..

Lawyers are the ones that contrive the wording,, with-out thinking about the semantics and sentence readability..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:32   #19
Kosta
Asset

Wouldn't it be possible for these corporations to simply specify that the infinite retention of data is for internal use and not for public release? That would calm those of us who value privacy (or, at least, it would calm me).

Or would that not work for some reason? I'm a mathematician, Jim, not a lawyer.

libertas iustitiaque omnibus

Currently reading more, posting less.
Kosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:33   #20
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Facebook has apparently backed-off of the TOS modification due to the surge. of customer comments...

That being said...I still fail to see the attraction to those types of social networking sites.

Facebook 'withdraws' data changes
The founder of Facebook says the social network will return to its previous terms of service regarding user data.

In a blog post Mark Zuckerberg said the move was temporary "while we resolve the issues that people have raised".

Users had complained after new terms of service seemed to suggest Facebook would retain personal data even if someone deleted their account.

Originally defending the changes, Mr Zuckerberg had said it was to better reflect how people used the site.

He had said the changes were made to ensure that if a user deleted his or her account any comments or messages he or she had left on a friend's Facebook page would not also disappear.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7896309.stm

Blog article from the BBC Technology Editor http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...g_growing.html

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 02-18-2009 at 05:38.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I would say that this temporary reprieve represents an excellent opportunity to get your ID, face, and personal info off of an internet website which has already indicated that they have a desire to retain the rights to everything you have posted, and to use it for whatever purpose they wish.

If you are an SF soldier, or want to be one, you may not want this info on the net or archived for use by whoever they might give or sell access to in the future.

If you are the family member or significant other of a soldier, you might want to consider how an enemy might be able to use the info against you.

I understand that some people just don't care, and in that case, drive on with whatever plan you have.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50   #22
HQ6
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
If you are the family member or significant other of a soldier, you might want to consider how an enemy might be able to use the info against you.
Amen! I have talked to wives and girlfriends about this until I am blue in the face, but it seems without a directive from the COC, they don't care
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36   #23
beans
FTFSI

Peekyou.com

I recently deleted my facebook and myspace accounts. In addition, I have also been Googling my name to find other sites might have information about me. I found this site to be very disturbing. Peekyou.com. It had a picture of me at the beach and also has accounts with all my immediate family and what cities they live in. I have been looking for a way to delete this internet created account. Please inform.

Beans
beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:00   #24
funnyman
Asset

In my years contracting at the world's largest tech companies, I can tell you this: even the biggest three-letter-named companies in the world don't have their shit together. And despite what their TOS says, and despite their best intentions, data leaks out, be it by accident, intrusion, etc. So the only good policy is this: do not trust ANY entity with your personal data unless it's data you wouldn't mind seeing printed on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

WRT having already posted your info on sites: consider conducting a formal disinformation campaign. Enter a birthday, but the wrong one. List the wrong college and high school. Do that on a couple sites. Upload random pics of people from the internet. Create a homepage somewhere, link to it in your social networking profiles, and then track who goes to that web page. Examine the web logs; you may be surprised where your visitors come from. Basically, create your own personal honeypot. You get the idea.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:01   #25
Doc 1/69
SF Candidate

Additional Site Info

This looks like the best place for this post - admin please move if I'm wrong.

Reading this today got me thinking about my info on the net and after using the peekyou site mentioned above I hit peoplefinders.com. Scary how much info is available - anyone interested here's a link to the page on how to be removed from their database.

http://www.peoplefinders.com/help/ar...topic=privacy4
Old 05-11-2009, 21:59   #26
jrc
Asset

I'm in the process of removing years of content from sites like Internet Archive and let me tell y'all, it's no easy task. I'm getting to the point that all searches for my name just turn up other people and soon there will be no trace of my face. I'm glad I got on this! Also for those with Facebook accounts, make sure your privacy settings are maxed out and don't allow your profile to be indexed by search engines... or just follow the above advice and get rid of it.

Thanks for the heads up on removing all this stuff.

I am here to learn.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 13:02   #27
Pete
Quiet Professional

School Newspapers

Looks like some post-college adults are finding out "what happens at college stays at college" ain't true and are trying to change history.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/05...ollege-papers/
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24   #28
rm1249
SF Candidate

mylife.com

I recently got an email saying someone has added me as a friend on a social networking site, of which I am not a member. Apparently this site creates profiles for people by gathering info from the web. Mylife.com has a photo of me and probably more information that I cannot see. Is anyone else familiar with this site, it seems like I cannot delete my information without becoming a member, which costs $30. Anyone know a work around for mylife.com or other similar sites?
thanks,
rm1249
rm1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54   #29
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1249 View Post
I recently got an email saying someone has added me as a friend on a social networking site, of which I am not a member. Apparently this site creates profiles for people by gathering info from the web. Mylife.com has a photo of me and probably more information that I cannot see. Is anyone else familiar with this site, it seems like I cannot delete my information without becoming a member, which costs $30. Anyone know a work around for mylife.com or other similar sites?
thanks,
rm1249
Unless you are a member you "cannot" view any pictures on this website or view anyone's profile. Just sign off and try.

It ain't this website their getting their information from.....

If the info was taken from this website (like your intro) I will go after them, unless you posted an intro somewhere else. What is written on this website is "owned" by us and none other.
Old 05-26-2009, 13:28   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

By "this site" I think he meant the site that his friend listed him on, not PS.com.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote