Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 09-25-2014, 09:22   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

HF SIGINT: A Return from the Dead?

http://www.mpdigest.com/Military/iss...y2/default.asp

BMT
Old 09-26-2014, 05:06   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

Good read, thx. I sent it out to the HF guys on the committee. Would also be a good reading assnmt for the studs...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:16   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Nice read, 18E need to read this.

I remember teaching the ANASFQC and our 18E know HF and how to talk long range. This was one thing that the ANASOC Command found very enlighting. But one of the biggest issues for our 18Es was outstations not know HF Comms. They were having to send HF Slides Pppt to SFODAs to teach them how to do it and how to use the ANA radios.

That is one thing I saw in Pakistan, PAKMIL was still using Morse Code and HF Comm for sending radio messages. Not like they had SATCOM. All the Frontier Corps units S4 requests went out on HF. We had one 18E, old school, that know what was going on and was "listening" to the Morse Code to see what was being said. It is a lost skill for sure.

This also helped out during combat missions in Afgahnistan. When we would roll into a Compound and find wire along wals or on poles. Old School 18E's knew what else to look for and tell us other guys what to key in on. TB would raise the wire as needed or lay it out as needed. Smart countermeasures IMO.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:44   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

BMT, thanks for sharing that; good read.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:31   #5
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Nice read, 18E need to read this.

I remember teaching the ANASFQC and our 18E know HF and how to talk long range. This was one thing that the ANASOC Command found very enlighting. But one of the biggest issues for our 18Es was outstations not know HF Comms. They were having to send HF Slides Pppt to SFODAs to teach them how to do it and how to use the ANA radios.

That is one thing I saw in Pakistan, PAKMIL was still using Morse Code and HF Comm for sending radio messages. Not like they had SATCOM. All the Frontier Corps units S4 requests went out on HF. We had one 18E, old school, that know what was going on and was "listening" to the Morse Code to see what was being said. It is a lost skill for sure.

This also helped out during combat missions in Afgahnistan. When we would roll into a Compound and find wire along wals or on poles. Old School 18E's knew what else to look for and tell us other guys what to key in on. TB would raise the wire as needed or lay it out as needed. Smart countermeasures IMO.
The Africans use morse code as casual as you and I would conversate and they know HF pretty well.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20   #6
helicom6
Asset

HF SIGINT

Perhaps SOT-A's will also find a renewal for SIGINT duties!

Just a thought.
helicom6 is offline   Reply With Quote