Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Deactivated SF Units

Old 12-01-2011, 11:22   #1
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

12th SFG info on a former Battalion Commander.....

Do any of you out there remember serving under him? I have and he was an excellent officer.......

LTC Richard Hourigan (Ret)

I had commanded three Special Forces units while serving for fourteen years with the 12th Special Forces Group (ABN). This Battalion (3-340/5/85 & 1-383/5/75) was my fourth and final command. I served for a total of four years as Battalion Commander under both the 85th Division (Exercise) and the 75th Division (Exercise).

He has an online store you maybe interested in.......

http://www.richardhouriganinc.com/army-page.html

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:32   #2
Slackman33
Asset

A "Calling"..? Right..!

I'm guessing, but the original question concerned a battalion commander.., and that may have been LTC James Beard..? Don't know for sure which battalion was referred to.
As to the comment per SF being a "calling"..(chuckle).., in my case it was join the Hell's Angels.., or have some real fun do'n the right thing for God and country..!
So in "them days" it was the JFKIMA and JFKSWC, I think (No Acadenic Center then, just Smoke Boom Hill, and Camp McCall). Thirty-one years later.., I still had the choice to join the Angles..(smile)..!!
God bless all you sorry bastards, and love and honor to you during the "last Days." We lost three more of the bro's last year, and there's fewer, and fewer as time goes by..!! Mike "Slackman" Harding, San Berdo, California..!
Slackman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 15:12   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

"Take up the rope, slackman!"

A kindly word to the wise, please follow the instructions you received long ago and post an introduction, as well as filling out a profile so we know with whom we are communicating.

Your first post doesn't go here.

Thanks...
Old 01-23-2012, 14:08   #4
Badger52
Area Commander

Thanks for that link, which led to his old pic of the Badger DZ here (looking west). Unseen are the massive upgrades in fiberoptic cabling that support a boatload of modern training infrastructure now and (off-camera to the south) the Young Air Assault Strip - but the real-estate (and trail network) will look the same today as it did for him snapping that pic. (Other than it's very much covered with white stuff at the moment.)

Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote