Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 03-05-2004, 16:01   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

HALO-HAHO-HAMO Train Up

HALO adventures for our favorite 18D.

So The Team, in its never ending quest for perfection, decides to go out West, where there's room, and practice infiltration.

Our favorite medic hates jumping (quits on every jump) but loves to look over the Jumpmaster's soldier and tell him what he's doing wrong and how he's about to get the whole Team killed because he's an idiot and no sane man would say "Go!". I'm sure Billy-L can testify.

So there they are. Over some Godforsaken desert in Mexico (going to fly back in under canopy don't you know). "Can't be responsible for where the spot happens to end up."

About 0300, 25k AGL, O2, ALWAYS combat equipment. Checks are done! We're on final!

Jumpmaster is leaning down, looking through the little space between the bright shiney thing and the dull blue thing that ALL Jumpmasters look through when doing whatever it is they're doing.

Our favorite medic, who knows it's all phoney and they can't really see shit and are just faking, is leaning over the JM's should telling him just that.

"Get ready!"

"I quit mother fooker!"

"Yeah, you told me already. Get ready!"

"No drop! We're going around!"

"Get ready!"

"I quit and you suck!"

"No drop!"

This goes on like 5 passes. Our medic is now firmly convinced that the TS/JM is retarded, blind and lost.

"What's the matter with you?"

"I can't see the spot!"

"What did you tell them to mark it with?"

"A railroad flare."

Now see, RR flares are red. And so are the brake lights on automobiles. And the DZ was right next to a major highway. There were at least, at least, 17 trillion red lights blinking in the field of view.

TS/JM, "So what do you think?"

Our hero, "Well, you know what they say."

"What?"

"Whole world's a drop zone when you're jumping squares."

"Right, GO!"

LOL

Spent the rest of the night walking. The one we picked wasn't it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 19:18   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: HALO-HAHO-HAMO Train Up

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
"Whole world's a drop zone when you're putting out jumpers."
No, that is the motto of the U.S. Air Force.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01   #3
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Reaper........quit messin' with my AF, man.......that ain't funny!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 16:38   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelsSix
Reaper........quit messin' with my AF, man.......that ain't funny!!
Especially unfunny if you have been the victim of that.

Fortunately, SF is allowed to GMRS spot and release their jumpers themselves.

Aircrews get pissed when you tell them you are not going to go on their spot, I started telling them when they got out of the aircraft on their CARP spots as well, I'd let them call the release point.

No takers thus far.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 16:44   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

When I was in the 82nd Airplane Gang, the Air Force came out with a recruiting poster that said
"Air Force! We put the 'Air' in Airborne"

The guys went around all over post with markers and changed them:

"Air Force! We put the Airborne in the trees!"

I never will forget that. The Pope CDR complained to the installation CDR.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 15:21   #6
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Write me up for a thread ressurection, violation!

But I just saw this thread, and it's funny!
Old 10-19-2006, 20:42   #7
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET
Write me up for a thread ressurection, violation!

But I just saw this thread, and it's funny!
I'll second that!!!

"Air Force! We put the Airborne in the trees!" I have to remember that.

I told some CCT guys I don't jump out of perfectly good aircraft. They said that there's no such thing!
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 21:57   #8
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon65
I'll second that!!!

"Air Force! We put the Airborne in the trees!" I have to remember that.

I told some CCT guys I don't jump out of perfectly good aircraft. They said that there's no such thing!
CONCUR completely!

I've never flown in a perfectly good A/C...I have in fact signed off a few Red X's cause we needed to respond to Americans in distress!
Old 10-19-2006, 22:40   #9
optactical
Quiet Professional

Funny shit.... I have been on an A/C where the pilots forgot we were doing CARP and turned the green light on early thinking it was GMRS (second SL jump of the day, mind you, somehow they forgot after the first?). Problem was it was a ramp jump, the safety was done spotting and clearing the airspace, and we all knew we would be looking at the ocean as we exitted, so it felt right, until we looked down.

No one realized the problem till we were in the air over the jungle to the north of Andersen Air Base (Guam) which happens to be on a cliff that drops into the sea. Luckily all jumpers steered to the airfield, the closest landed with his chute a couple meters from the AF Base's north fence. I remember the loadmaster running at me as I was about one step from exitting yelling and giving an impromptu "no drop" signal... It was too late, I was in motion, and the stick was already out the door, stopping was not an option at that point.

There's no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft?!? Heck you'd be hard pressed to find one with a halfway decent aircrew these days, 'cept for C-17s, they are the fooking shiite!!!

Not a HALO story, but defintely a noteworthy experience.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:56   #10
incommin
Quiet Professional

We used to jump perfectly good A/C.... 46's, 47' 119's......

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 15:37   #11
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by optactical

There's no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft?!? Heck you'd be hard pressed to find one with a halfway decent aircrew these days, 'cept for C-17s, they are the fooking shiite!!!
I came back from Kuwait in 1998 on a C-141 with the comfort pallet (the pallet with two toilets on it, for those that might not know) literally slopping over the edge with shit! We were told, "Hold it" for the eight hour flight.

As long as my take offs and landings are of equal number, I'm happy. But if the plane is on fire, you'll have to fight me for the crash ax.
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 21:27   #12
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsSix
........quit messin' with my AF, man.......that ain't funny!!
maybe not...but the Benelux isn't a country....
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 19:44   #13
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Benelux, are you serious??? I haven't heard enough of that this past month, maybe someone else should bring it up, dammit!!!!!

Frakin' Joes!!

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 22:30   #14
spartanfed182
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

"Air Force! We put the Airborne in the trees!"

ha ha ha......
spartanfed182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 20:27   #15
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfed182
ha ha ha......
Obviously YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN DUMPED INTO TREES!!!!

Alex,
You need to learn how to develop your Situational Awareness by POSTING MUCH LESS and READING a lot MORE!!!

Later
Martin