Old 03-23-2005, 20:10   #1
chriss25
Asset

rep 63 fine print

I'm a 33 yr old GS-11 engineer at a DOD/Navy/missile range on Kauai (w/ Navy Diver pin (SCUBA) thanks to the Navy and my job’s need to QA work when the divers come over).

Any advice in regard to the details I’ll look for when I sign the rep 63 contract (18D) this Friday. I’m going to key on “18D”, of course, along with E-4 for a degree, $6K (or maybe $10K, they’re checking) for the MOS bonus, loan payoff, MGIB/K, and BCT, AIT (91W in San Antonio – 16wks), airborne, SOPC, and SFAS start dates.

What else? Any Rep 63 guys (especially 18Ds) like to pass on “fine print” lessons they learned the hard way? E.g. How important are those class dates on the contract?

Aside from the contract, I’ve been told that candidates passing SFAS will be brought back briefly to their Group and promoted to E-5 prior to PCSing to Bragg for the rest of the course. Sound right? I was told this from the recruiter after I forwarded the post about this from the candidate working at the Guard liaison office at Bragg. Thanks QPs!

Should I be concerned that they ask for two other MOSs besides 18D (I understand it to be SOP)? I'm told that 18D is primary and that those other MOSs are ONLY if 18D doesn't work out because of.... (other than VW, I'm not sure why 18D wouldn't work out… maybe snapping a foot off or something). I've found this topic in my searches but didn't find a conclusive answer: The question's an attempt to close the loop.

I've done searches on this website and others about these topics; I’ve learned a lot, and just have these last questions to answer... for now.

Thanks in advance to those that respond and thanks to the QPs for the site.

Very respectfully,
-Chris
chriss25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 21:07   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss25

Should I be concerned that they ask for two other MOSs besides 18D (I understand it to be SOP)? I'm told that 18D is primary and that those other MOSs are ONLY if 18D doesn't work out because of.... (other than VW, I'm not sure why 18D wouldn't work out… maybe snapping a foot off or something).

Very respectfully,
-Chris
Because the Army may not think you are suited for the 18D course, the Army may need you in another MOS track, or because you may fail to accomplish your mission of becoming an 18D and you need another day job in SF (or go to a non-SF assignment).

You have done very little toward becoming an SF soldier thus far. Focus on your 25 meter target of completing your Basic, AIT, Airborne, SOPC I, SFAS, SOPC II, PLDC, and Phase II before you begin worrying about your 18D training.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 22:20   #3
chriss25
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Focus on your 25 meter target of completing your Basic, AIT, Airborne, SOPC I, SFAS, SOPC II, PLDC, and Phase II before you begin worrying about your 18D training.

TR
Wilco.

My comments aside:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss25
other than VW, I'm not sure why 18D wouldn't work out… maybe snapping a foot off or something
The question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriss25
Should I be concerned that they ask for two other MOSs besides 18D?
was seeking to clarify/confirm that the rep 63 contract's mention of other MOSs does not take away the contract's "in writing" shot at SFAS upon sucessful completion of preceding stages.

These forums are a great resource of information. Thank you for the input and please forgive my visible ignorance and lack of humor skills.
Very respectfully,
-Chris
Old 03-23-2005, 22:33   #4
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Aside from the contract, I’ve been told that candidates passing SFAS will be brought back briefly to their Group and promoted to E-5 prior to PCSing to Bragg for the rest of the course. Sound right? I was told this from the recruiter after I forwarded the post about this from the candidate working at the Guard liaison office at Bragg. Thanks QPs!

-Chris

While some REP-63s might have gone back to their unit to get promoted, I haven't seen it. The standard procedure is for REP-63s to stay on initial active duty training until they finish the pipeline. Don't expect to be able to go back to your unit to get promoted or to take a few months off. You may or may not be sent to the board for E-5 sometime in the pipeline.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 22:45   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...What else? Any Rep 63 guys (especially 18Ds) like to pass on “fine print” lessons they learned the hard way? E.g. How important are those class dates on the contract?
No "fine print lessons."

Quote:
That is for Prior Service guys who come to SFAS TDY and return. You must also meet Time-in-Service and Time-in-Grade requirements which you will not until near the end of the pipeline.

Quote:
Should I be concerned that they ask for two other MOSs besides 18D (I understand it to be SOP)? I'm told that 18D is primary and that those other MOSs are ONLY if 18D doesn't work out because of.... (other than VW, I'm not sure why 18D wouldn't work out… maybe snapping a foot off or something).
Unable to obtain/be granted a Secret Security Clearance, unable to meet physical standards, unable to complete training, or you get a Never-To-Return during one of the phases are just a few reasons that come to mind.

You are worrying about things you should not be at this point in time. Concentrate on preparing yourself for the journey, both mentally and physically.

Welcome to PS.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 23:23   #6
Para
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Aside from the contract, I’ve been told that candidates passing SFAS will be brought back briefly to their Group and promoted to E-5 prior to PCSing to Bragg for the rest of the course. Sound right?
Never saw that one. Almost all Rep-63 guys attended the Board while in the course. Promotion packets where then forwarded to their respective units for promotion.

Quote:
Should I be concerned that they ask for two other MOSs besides 18D (I understand it to be SOP)? I'm told that 18D is primary and that those other MOSs are ONLY if 18D doesn't work out because of.... (other than VW, I'm not sure why 18D wouldn't work out… maybe snapping a foot off or something). I've found this topic in my searches but didn't find a conclusive answer: The question's an attempt to close the loop.
Biggest one for 18D, academic failure resulting in recycle or reclassification.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 15:38   #7
chriss25
Asset

Thank you

Thank you, gentlemen.
All comments have been noted/filed.
Update: Honolulu MEPS has delayed my signing until later this week due to complications of HI NG signing me into CO NG. Wrinkles are being worked out presently, I'm told.
Very respectfully,
-Chris