Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 01-25-2005, 18:41   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Mas please
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:18   #17
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
Mas please
Okay.

We got our yards from the local surroundings which consisted of 6 villages and for all intents and purposes had just about everyone, with the exception of the village chiefs, the very old and the very young in one of our 6 companies. We realized that we needed to start a training program for those youngsters that were coming of age and started an "F" Troop of youngsters. We trained the recon platoon to perform as trainers under our supervision and ran a 8 week program and for the graduation exercise the "F" Troop graduates would accompany us on an operation . Now remember these kids are really kids, I'm talking 12 years old to 14. On the first operation we went into an old abandoned Phrench plantation area that had an abundance of grapefruit trees, pineapples and assorted other stuff. We moved in, set up a perimeter and checked the area out, showed them how to secure the area, set up ambushes and plan a covered withdrawal. After we were satisfied that they had grasped the basics we sent them on to man a resupply LZ and brought up the rear sterilizing the area as we left. The main body was about 10 minutes ahead of us before we pulled out. As soon as we hit the surrounding jungle we noticed shreds of grapefruit rinds littering the way. They evidently felt that had earned the right to relax as no one was in the area and it was like following the yellow brick road until we closed on the end of the damn column and caught the perpetrators. Kids are kids in every culture and the yards were no exception. We did make contact shortly after that and they responded perfectly.

Jack Moroney
Old 02-17-2005, 10:57   #18
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

I don't want this thread to die a slow death.

So how bout some more stories, Terry?

Terry
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22   #19
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

On an operation which we ran in the Ben Het area we got into some real deep shit. We ended up in a clearing and in a "wagon wheel" type defensive position with me in the middle. We really had stirred up a hornet's nest. When I got back to Kontum the FAC told me there were over 200 bodies in the open and as many coming up the ridge for us. I knew where the troops had come from. There was a village just over the ridge from us. I told the Covey rider and said they needed to take out the lvillage, which they did a good job of.

I remember when we were being extracted I was grabbing the little people by the pistol belt anf collar and literally throwing them into the chopper. I'm surprised I didn't throw some in one door and out the other.

A few days later one of my little people came and said he had to go home to attend a funeral. I said to go ahead and arranged leave for him. After he had left my interpretor informed me he was from the village we had trashed. He was going home to check on his family. I figured that was the last I would see of him -- understandably. I was surprised to see him return in a few days. Nobody ever mentioned the incident and he remained a loyal troop.

This operation may have prevented a major offensive on Pleiku. We wandered into something major. I was debriefed by the 4th ID CO and G2 and upon my intel and recommendation an arc light was diverted to this target. There were still secondaries a week later and the 4th ID ran a successful sweep of the area and even recovered the body of a chinese advisor whom my men had seen. If we could have recovered him it would have been a trip to CCK for me and beaucoup "P" for the little people.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:29   #20
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Early Release.

It was written right in the contract that our little people would only be treated in U.S. facilities.

One day we got word that one of the HF troops had been mistakenly sent to a VN hospital in Pleiku and they wouldn't release him. Rather than launch a major rescue mission from the Yard Camp in Kontum, a few of us drove op to Pleiku to pick up the Yard. The Vietnamese refused. We saw him stashed in a corner and being totally neglected. We went to the "B Co" Mike Force and explained the situation. They mobilised a Company and went and got back our Yard, whom we took to the U.S. FH.

misery is optional.

Old 02-17-2005, 16:09   #21
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Credit to the " Little People".

God you had to love the "LITTLE PEOPLE!!!!

One morning at CCS one of the 10's had gate guard. The guys on the list going to Ban Me Thout had departed. The S-4 and air ops guys were at East field waiting on the morning Black Bird. The BB came and departed and everyone was back on the compound.
He said all of a sudden he had to take a dump. Explain to his man no one else was coming or going and he had to take a dump. The SCU smiled and said ok sarge I guard.
We had a one holer at the gate and he took off running. Got inside dropped his web gear and weapon. Dropped his drawers and got on the one holer. About that time he had one hanging as long as his leg. All of a sudden a jeep drove up.The SCU said you no can come. The guy driving the jeep said" I am a Cpt. in the US ARMY and I'm coming in. SCU said you come I shoot. More loud mouthing by the Cpt. Poor 10 still had that one hanging when he heard the charging handle on an M-16 and the SCU said again "you come I shoot"
By the time he got back to the gate the jeep had departed at a high rate of speed.

Later our CO had a call from the Province Sr. Advisor and wanted to know what happened at our gate. CO explained what had taken place.

To make a long story short here is what happened:

This young CPT. had been assigned to the advisory team in BMT. That morning the Col. fixed him up with a map and jeep and told him to tour the units around BMT and explained to him when he got to East field there was a LSA unit, composite Arty battery and a SF unit. He was told to not even drive up to our gate,the Col. explained our CO was a LTC and he was a Col. and he could not get on our compound unless invited.

After the incident at the gate theyoung CPT. flew back to BMT and told the Col he was almost ambushed. The Col. said"my God man show me on the map where you were shot at". Cpt. showed him the road to our front gate and said"Sir I was at that SF unit and the gate guard was going to shoot me.

PSA later told this story at a meeting.

BMT
Old 02-18-2005, 05:33   #22
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

As John Plaster preceded me on RT California, I had the distinct honor and privilege of working and going to war with those Montagnards. Their pics are posted at "TerribleTobyt and Friends" thread.

What magnificent men, WARRIORs to be sure, but gentle souls who had known nothing but war in their lifetime. Always willing to give everything they had to their USSF buddies.

It was my pleasure to have known these men, and all that I am today, I owe to these guys and the men of Special Forces.

Toby

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 21:00   #23
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Credit from the Little People.

Folks, the feelings are mutual:

Quote:
MDA Inc

Invitation

Montagnard-American and Green Beret Family Reunion
May 28, 2005
Dega Ashboro Project Site
Asheboro, North Carolina

To the Honorable Members of Special Operations Association

Dear Jake and Members

Please accept our invitation to attend the Montagnard/Dega and US Army Special Forces Memorial Day ceremony and Family Reunion on Saturday, 28 May, 2005 at Asheboro, North Carolina to honor the fallen thousands of Montagnard soldiers and their American Special Forces leaders killed side by side while fighting for freedom in the Vietnam war.

We are the very proud Americans who first came these United States as refugees. We have strived to become worthy citizens of this great land that has welcomed and adopted us. We and our children are so grateful to be Montagnard-Americans. Many of our children are proudly serving in the U.S. military services.

We humbly ask you to join us Saturday, 28 May, Memorial Day weekend so that we may honor you and America as we pay tribute at our Montagnard and U.S. Special Forces fallen warrior's memorial celebration and family reunion.

You are also invited to the "Dega Annual Cultural Heritage Day" on Sunday, 29 May,2005. Hopefully you have already received that invitation.

Respectfully yours

Y Juen Eban

President

misery is optional.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:15   #24
Sigi
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
Folks, the feelings are mutual:
Montagnard-American and Green Beret Family Reunion
May 28, 2005
Dega Ashboro Project Site
Asheboro, North Carolina
Gentlemen, thank you for writing about your experiences. Wondering if anyone made the trip to NC.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 13:35   #25
magician
Quiet Professional

the best thread that I have read here in about a million years.

1st Platoon "Bad 'Muthers," Company A, 2d Ranger Battalion, 1980-1984;
ODA 151, Company B, 2d Battalion, 1SFGA, 1984-1986.
SFQC 04-84; Ranger class 14-81.
magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 16:54   #26
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Jump School

I put my Bru through Jump Training at the Yard Camp in 1968. Here are some pictures of them doing PT. It was a real trip. A whole new meaning to "In cadebce . . . ".

Just like their american counterparts, they couldn't resist shouting "Leg" at every Leg in the camp. I have some 8mm film I am trying to get diditized, We gave them Brithsh Commando knives and I think they kept them on 24 hrs a day. You can see them in the pictures but the film shows the knives bouncing against their elbows while running in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vietnam Slides 1968 031.jpg (26.4 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Vietnam Slides 1968 032.jpg (20.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Vietnam Slides 1968 033.jpg (26.3 KB, 118 views)

misery is optional.

Old 05-29-2005, 19:04   #27
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

My history classes in school failed me.
You guys are providing the real education.

Many Thanks for this thread and others like it.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:35   #28
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

Well the thought of this thread dying woke me up.

I worked exclusively with the Bru. When I first got to CCN I was assigned to a Bru HF platoon that was scheduled for an operation the following week. I decided that I had better learn the language before leaving on the operation. (First let me expalin that we had two interpetors in the platton. A Chinese-Vietanamese that translated from English to Vientamese and then a Bru interpretor that translated from Vietnamese to Bru. A linquistic goat **** to be sure. ) So I spent every waking moment in the Bru barracks.

Soldiers the world over are the same. First they teach you the BAD words then they teach you the rest. Well I became real adept at the BAD words in a hurry. Then the next game was teach me to say the BAD words to the Vietnamese. That they really enjoyed. Then to make the game REAL fun they would translate the BAD words to the Vietnamese. (no problem I didn't really get along to good with some of them anyway.)

After a while I became alot more fluent in Bru (with some early help from "Hippy" Harve Saal. I thought I was pretty good at it until one time I had to go to the main Bru village at Mai Loc to pay the family of a SCU that had been killed on an operation. I went with our recon team interpretor. When we arrived at Mai Loc he took me aside and said, "Tonsi, you stay here you don't speak Bru. They old people they don't like Bru like you speak!" Needless I was slightly offended by that statement. OK but I tried to keep my mouth shut. TRIED but failed. Anyway I was the hit of Mai Loc because I spoke only GOOD Bru while I was there. (My interpretor was relieved).

This interpretor was a pretty famous guy in Recon. He was in the second group of Bru ever recruited in CCN. By the time I got there he had been in recon about 4 years or so. Right before coming on our team, he was on a team that got wiped out and was one of three survivors that walked back through 50 kms of enemy territoryto get home. So when I find out he was assigned to our team I went over to pay him a visit. I entered his hooch and he was asleep on the bed. So I shook the bed and said to him in Bru "Get up Get up your really lazy!". He came off the bed with his fist cocked ready to knock down the impollite Bru who woke him up and saw my smiling face. I wish I had a camera to record the look on his face. It was so funny....

I had a lot of fun with the Bru, to echo earler posts. I owe my life to these guys, they had some much savy in the jungle it was incredible. Their loyalty was something you never had to question. In fact I told them point blank one time if I was badly wounded to leave me. They looked so shocked that I would even say that. I taught them all first aid including giving IVs. I taught our interpretor to use the radio and read maps. i also taught them to Box (that is another story). For that I was rewarded with a team that I could take through the gates of hell and they would walk out smiling on the other side.

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22   #29
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I remember Saal. IIRC he was at Khe Sahn in 68 while I was there .

misery is optional.

Last edited by QRQ 30; 01-31-2006 at 20:10.
Old 01-31-2006, 20:02   #30
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

Yes he ran recon out of Khe Sahn with one of my commo instructors (can't remember his name) so I heard his name before I got there. He was still there when I got there. I was with him on trip to Danang airfield one day when a guy from Saigon handed him his extension. Said this is your last extension Harve.

Didn't see him again until late '90s spent all night at his house reading the first draft on his History of SOG (2000 pages). Did update of his drawings for the Quang Tri Launch site.

Great guy, he got me started with the Bru language and understanding the Bru culture.

He married "Mad Dog" Shriver's sister.

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote