Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 01-07-2005, 12:16   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Thrillng Rides.

Reading Bru's latest reminds me of several interesting rides I have had. I would bet we could make this into an interesting thread. Has anyone out there been snatched up by a Sky Hook, aka Fulton Recovery System? I always wanted to but was never chosen. My ream set up a few extractions but "VIPs" seemed to get the ride.

Once we extracted a downed chopper pilot by hooking his seat up to the ropes. He donated the seat to us and you may spot it omongst the "patio furniture" in some of my web site pictures.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/

Last edited by QRQ 30; 01-07-2005 at 12:18.
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:21   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Excellent topic!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 15:35   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Never rode one but almost got myself court-martialed over one. Never really understood why anyone had to practice something that you had to do right the first time and over which you had no control. When they removed your only chance to recover from an USAF screw up by taking away the reserve attached to the harness they really left you "dangling". We lost a good man during a Flintlock exercise just because of that.

Jack Moroney
Old 01-07-2005, 16:34   #4
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

My one and only McGuire Rig ride.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the McGuire Rig, it was the precursor of the STABO rig. It was named for the man who developed it and I think he was in the Delta Project (CRS). It simply consisted of a loop of 2 inch webbing at the end of a rope and a wrist loop for "safety".To penetrate jungle it was attached to a ruck full of rocks or a sand bag.

We were at the top of a hill and surrounded by some PO'ed folks we had screwed over in the norning. There were no LZ's and our only option was to get out on "strings". The first slick made a serious attempt to cut his way through the canopy with his rotor blades. I never figured if some of our pilots were all balls or totally lacking in sense -- probably both. He finally had to drop the rigs. As he lifted us out I believe one leg became slightly longer than the other. I wasn't sure which was going to give first, my leg or a vine that had caught it. Luckily the vine finally snaped. To try to prevent uncontrolled spinning we were to grasp each other's harness. Being somewhat larger than my "Yards" I managed to grab a pair of legs.

I looked down and saw the bad guys all over the top of the hilll. We had gotten out just in the nick of time. We also took some fire which made the ride even more "exciting". The preferred procedure was to lift a team out and then set them down as soon as it was safe and get them into the choppers. For some reason they took us all of the way back to Kontum. After a few minutes the pain was gone. As they were setting us down I watched my feet touch the ground but felt nothing. I ended up on my backside and it was a while before I could walk unassisted.

It was a very scary and exciting ride but beat the $hit out of the alternative. We were snatched right out of the jaws of the tiger.

misery is optional.

Old 01-07-2005, 18:28   #5
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

The Ride !!

While at One-Zero School at Camp Long Thanh, there was a leg S4 Captain who had been bugging the Instructors for months to let him go for a Stabo Ride. The day our Class got to go on a few rides, to learn how to safely use the rigs, our Instructors spied said Capt. with a rig and talking with the Helicopter Pilots. After we were through, and headed back to the classroom, the Instructors stopped us and said to wait a minute. After we heard the Choppers take off, we were called back to the heli-pad and there went the Captain straight up a few hundred feet. The chopper, with him in tow, then pitched over and sort of dove a little to gain translational lift. The Capt. was screaming his head off. He was then flown around the camp a few times and then the Instructors, laughing their asses off, said WATCH THIS !!! The chopper took him almost out of sight, to where the 25th ID "Waste Treatment Pond" was located, descended, then proceeded to DRAG THE CAPT THROUGH IT !!!! They brought him back, set him down to the side of the pad and cut the rope then left. !!! His Jungle Fatigue Pockets were BULGING !!! He was totally covered with extremely smelly waste.

Back in the classrooms we found out that the instructors had made a deal with the Pilot to give him the extra special ride. Before we graduated, said Captain had requested and was granted a transfer to a leg line unit.
Old 01-07-2005, 18:33   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master
While at One-Zero School at Camp Long Thanh, there was a leg S4 Captain who had been bugging the Instructors for months to let him go for a Stabo Ride. The day our Class got to go on a few rides, to learn how to safely use the rigs, our Instructors spied said Capt. with a rig and talking with the Helicopter Pilots. After we were through, and headed back to the classroom, the Instructors stopped us and said to wait a minute. After we heard the Choppers take off, we were called back to the heli-pad and there went the Captain straight up a few hundred feet. The chopper, with him in tow, then pitched over and sort of dove a little to gain translational lift. The Capt. was screaming his head off. He was then flown around the camp a few times and then the Instructors, laughing their asses off, said WATCH THIS !!! The chopper took him almost out of sight, to where the 25th ID "Waste Treatment Pond" was located, descended, then proceeded to DRAG THE CAPT THROUGH IT !!!! They brought him back, set him down to the side of the pad and cut the rope then left. !!! His Jungle Fatigue Pockets were BULGING !!! He was totally covered with extremely smelly waste.

Back in the classrooms we found out that the instructors had made a deal with the Pilot to give him the extra special ride. Before we graduated, said Captain had requested and was granted a transfer to a leg line unit.
LMAOROTF!!! Great story, AM!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 19:24   #7
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
LMAOROTF!!! Great story, AM!
Me too!!!

misery is optional.

Old 01-07-2005, 19:37   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

But was he a good S-4?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 19:58   #9
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
But was he a good S-4?

TR
Negative !!! As I stated, he was a leg and he really threw his weight around with all of the NCO instructors. He was totally anti SF. I really could not believe that he had been there as long as he had, except for the fact that he was their "Chew Toy" and was the perpetual recipient of their collective mischievious attention !!!!
Old 01-07-2005, 20:39   #10
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

BWAAAHHHAA! Priceless!
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 23:03   #11
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master

We used to do the same thing at Mott Lake during Helicopter Ops. We'd take students up 100 ft to rapell out of the chopper, then they'd hook up into STABO rigs for a ride around the lake area. If the weather was ok, the pilots'd take the students for a dip in the lake.

Good times!!!!!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 21:23   #12
Pete
Quiet Professional

130 Night Jump

We were jumping into Montana during the winter of I think 1986. Due to the altitude and all the winter warfare equipment we were required to bundle our rucks and just jump LBE and weapons.

The plan was for the 130 to fly nap of the earth and about one minute out come up to jump altitude and then we were to jump.

The jump commands were given and the team was ready to go. The team leader was first to chase the bundle and I was last to make sure the light stayed at least "amber" until everybody got out. There was no second pass and anybody who failed to get out would be dropped on the alternate without their ruck. Nobody was going to carry two rucks off the Primary, I was going to make sure.

Anyway, we were all standing and the air crew opened the ramp. Cold as it was with the wind blowing around it was a grand sight to behold. It's something hard to describe. The darkened interior of the aircraft with the red glow of the jump lights. The line of jumpers holding their static lines up near the cable and swaying with the movement of the aircraft. The view out the back of the ranp was like sitting in a movie theatre watching the big screen as the landscape disappeared into the darkness behind the plane.

Just like people at a bus stop we were waiting for the green light.

All of a sudden the plane pulls sharply up. The aircrew are hanging onto the sides of the plane to keep their feet. It felt like 4 or 5 Gs and the whole team tumbled to the floor in a heap. We just started to untangle ourselves when the plane pushed the nose forward and we all came up off the floor with no help at all. I swear my toes were barely touching the deck. That only lasted a second or two and we quickly untangled ourselves and the safties started a re-check as we got the "One Minute".

The green light came on and we all jumped. One nice thing about being last is you get to see where everybody else is going. And everybody was headed for the bundle until the last 100 feet or so. We quickly assembled, ditched the air items and moved out.

After the mission we were told that the crew had been flying on goggles. They noticed a set of high power lines that were not on the map and pulled up to avoid them. Now do I believe them? I don't know. I was in the back. If they were screwing with us somebody or the bundle could have slipped out the back during the pull up. Oh, well.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 21:47   #13
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Another bundle jump

Like Pete we were to bundle the rucks and jump with weapons only. Of course there was a hitch. At that time, 1966, Group was short radios on account of the Vietnam bui;ld-up. As a result it was required to jump the commo. Being the biggest and youngest on the team (not necessarily in that order) I "volunteered" to jump the commo gear in.

We packed two complete 109's w/ g43 into a PA&E container. I don't even care to guess the weight. To make it more interesting we jumped from a C-47. As I stood, the container rested on my feet. Somehow, they got me to the door and pushed me out right after the other bundles.

When I attempted to pull the safety pin to release the container, it was stuck. I tugged, twisted and pulled all of the way down. At the last minute (luckily) I realized I was trying to pull the reserve safety pin. I found the pin for the container and released it just as my feet hit the ground. The bundle landed on my feet then fell one way and I went the other. I don't even want to imagine the result if I hadn't released that container. I made a minor crater in the ground and my shoulder hurt for the entire problem. Someone had to throw the antenna into a tree for me.

The commo man or whoever carried the pads also carried a .45 with live ammo in Germany. The next morning I attempted to clear the pistol and couldn't. I took it to Eldon Cross the Wpns Ldr and after fiddling with it he said: "I'll be damned. You bent the damned thing!" I had hit hard enough to bend the slide of the ,45 on my hip.

Being young and resilient I laughed about it but a couple of the old timers said that a time would come when I feel each bad PLF I ever made. They were right.

misery is optional.

Old 03-27-2005, 20:17   #14
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
We lost a good man during a Flintlock exercise just because of that.
Cliff Strickland, FL 1982...3rd Bn 10th SFGA...i was one of the guys that lost the lottery to get picked up...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 16:18   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I would have ridden the Fulton if asked, with a square as back up. I bet it's a helluva ride.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote