Old 11-28-2006, 04:22   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Robin Sage

Hey is the observer article on Robin Sage

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=248015

We have a few lads out there this time I think.

Pete

And a few at selection

Added for archival purposes:...gj Kevin
Quote:
Robin Sage tests Special Forces trainees
By Kevin Maurer
Staff writer

ASHEBORO — Cold rain and sleet pounded the top of the horse trailer last week as 13 Special Forces students from Operational Detachment Alpha 925 and their small guerrilla force waited for the order to attack.

The students — all of them cold and sleep-deprived — were supposed to grab or kill a local bad guy in this real-as-they-can-make-it war game.

It was to be their final test before the Special Forces trainees graduate and earn their signature green berets.

All of the men of ODA 925 have been training for a year since volunteering for the Special Forces and making it through a grueling selection process.

A Special Forces soldier who makes it to the final exercise, known as Robin Sage, has come a long way, said Command Sgt. Maj. Terry Peters.

“He has only aged one year, but has really aged light years,” said Peters, the top enlisted soldier in the 1st Battalion of the 1st Special Warfare Training Group. “He now understands the subtle difference he can make. That is a maturity you just can’t get in any classroom.”

The two-week exercise is intended to test all of the training the soldiers have received. A key to Special Forces is working with people in foreign countries: In Robin Sage, the student teams have to get cooperation from role-players posing as indigenous people and guerrilla fighters.

Robin Sage has been conducted for more than 50 years. The latest version incorporates lessons learned in Afghanistan and Iraq, but it also folds in scenarios based on missions in Latin America and the Philippines.

“Robin Sage is none of those, but it is all of those,” said Lt. Col. Paul Ott, commander of the 1st Battalion, 1st Special Warfare Training Group. “We’ve developed a UW (unconventional warfare) scenario that they can apply all over the world.”

Robin Sage takes place in the fictional “Pineland” — actually the backwoods of parts of more than a dozen counties in central North Carolina. ODA 925 was in Randolph County, which is the home of the N.C. Zoo.

For the first two weeks of the exercise, the 13 Special Forces students trained 19 inexperienced guerrillas in tactics, first aid, demolitions and communications at their base camp.

“We are here to create some chaos in the rear,” ODA 925’s captain said. For security reasons, he declined to give his name. Most Special Forces soldiers deploy within a year of graduation.

The base camp was built around a squat log cabin in the middle of a thicket of trees on a small farm. Soldiers grilled pork and venison in a fire pit.

The meat, butchered by the team’s medics, came from the civilian auxiliary.

More than 400 such civilians — 60 in Randolph County — volunteer during each Robin Sage exercise. They provide the team with food and transportation and test the soldiers’ ability to build rapport with locals.

In Randolph County, “Pineland Bob” Snyder supplies the team with food. Snyder is retired, but many of the auxiliary work as firefighters, deputies, doctors and business people. Some are second- or third-generation volunteers.

“I consider it a necessity for us to be here. When they go into another country, they are going to meet all kinds of people,” Snyder said. “Maybe something I will do will save somebody’s life.”

The mission
The final mission for ODA 925 was to kill or capture Jose “Killer” Cuervo, a local strongman with a reputation for torturing Pineland guerrillas. A nine-man security team was also at the house where Cuervo had been sighted, according to Bulldog, an informant.

The team planned the raid and trained the guerrillas how to execute it, including the importance of shooting pictures after the raid. The pictures were to prove Cuervo’s capture or death, a key counter-propaganda goal, the captain said.

The white two-story target house was dilapidated, surrounded by overgrown bushes. It sat on a hill at the end of a long driveway.

The soldiers, piled in their horse trailer, pulled up slowly. Because of the bad weather, the captain decided on a hasty assault. As soon as the trailer reached the front of the house, the soldiers and the guerrillas stormed out.

A burst from a blank-firing AK-47 broke the silence. The muzzle flash lit the front of the house as the soldiers rushed inside.

Gunfire crashed through the house as the assault teams rushed upstairs and into the rooms on the first floor. A few minutes into the fight, the guards were dead and the team started searching for Cuervo.

“Have you got Jose?” yelled the captain.

Negative, the soldiers responded.

“Look for false doors,” the captain ordered.

The brief search led the teams up a set of back stairs and into a room. The captain grabbed Bulldog.

“Where is Jose?” he yelled at Bulldog.

The tactical questioning was over in seconds.

“Jose is up there, and he is wearing all black,” the captain yelled to his men.

Their mission accomplished, the team headed for their first warm bed in weeks and likely a Special Forces tab.

Staff writer Kevin Maurer can be reached at maurerk@fayobserver.com or 486-3587.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (51.4 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (23.3 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.0 KB, 804 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:51   #2
Shans84
Auxiliary

Awesome...I Can't wait to go. Motivation
Old 11-28-2006, 13:24   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
More than 400 such civilians — 60 in Randolph County — volunteer during each Robin Sage exercise. They provide the team with food and transportation and test the soldiers’ ability to build rapport with locals.
In Randolph County, “Pineland Bob” Snyder supplies the team with food. Snyder is retired, but many of the auxiliary work as firefighters, deputies, doctors and business people. Some are second- or third-generation volunteers.
“I consider it a necessity for us to be here. When they go into another country, they are going to meet all kinds of people,” Snyder said. “Maybe something I will do will save somebody’s life.”
If it wasn’t for these Great American’s, Sage wouldn’t be SAGE. Thanks to all the man and woman that volunteer their free time to be the role players for this Nation’s Military.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34   #4
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Hey is the observer article on Robin Sage

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=248015

We have a few lads out there this time I think.

Pete

And a few at selection.
You beat me to it Was gonna post that too..Great read.
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 15:53   #5
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Robin Sage

Quote:
If it wasn’t for these Great American’s, Sage wouldn’t be SAGE. Thanks to all the man and woman that volunteer their free time to be the role players for this Nation’s Military.
I live near a bunch of these guys and they are really into it. I guess Blank AK Ammo is hard to find. Many of them carry their own weapons. It was limited to ak's with blank adaptors.......etc. This was about five years ago. After the shooting incident they wouldn't let them carry POW'S anymore. Some of them were pretty upset about the new rule. Did they ever start letting them carry their own op-for weapons again? I gave them two cases of blank AK Ammo, they were very great full to say the least. Also when I cleaned house after retiring I gave them all of the gear I didn't want. Anyone who ever needs to get rid of old uniforms, TA-50.....etc. donate it to them. They are always looking for stuff.
Old 11-29-2006, 19:27   #6
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

We worked with some real-life militia/role players who carried an assortment of their own weapons when I was out there Aug 05.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 18:20   #7
Amato
Quiet Professional

I was out there as guerilla. Defenantly learned what not to do, when its my turn. First time I ever played paintball was out there.
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 22:30   #8
Geo
Asset

Definitely.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07   #9
crash
Guerrilla

Who would one talk to about becoming a role player?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Who would one talk to about becoming a role player?
You don't call them, they will call you if they need you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 23:02   #11
TooTall
Asset

Nice writing... I think I'll go grab my ruck and foot kit.
TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 19:29   #12
OpForKorn
Asset

I just happen to be one of the civilians that support this exercise. I own a tract of property that I allow one team to use as a G-base, I work with one team as OpFor, and others as role player in whatever capacity needed. I'll state for the record the reason that I do any of these activities is not for fame, fortune, glory, or that I'm a Rambo wanna-be. I do this so that our guys will stand a better chance of not getting killed when they are sent into the real world.
All the role players I'm involved with were asked why we do it, and every one stated, "It's for them." We only wish were were allowed to do more, and that the higher-ups would return Robin Sage to the make or break status that it once was, instead of just the mere formality it has become today.
OpForKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 20:25   #13
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpForKorn View Post
I just happen to be one of the civilians that support this exercise. I own a tract of property that I allow one team to use as a G-base, I work with one team as OpFor, and others as role player in whatever capacity needed. I'll state for the record the reason that I do any of these activities is not for fame, fortune, glory, or that I'm a Rambo wanna-be. I do this so that our guys will stand a better chance of not getting killed when they are sent into the real world.
All the role players I'm involved with were asked why we do it, and every one stated, "It's for them." We only wish were were allowed to do more, and that the higher-ups would return Robin Sage to the make or break status that it once was, instead of just the mere formality it has become today.

OK Stop Posting and Re-Read your welcome e-mail and Post the Intro you should have done 3 Post ago.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 21:10   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Interesting article.

Richard

Last edited by Richard; 11-10-2008 at 21:14.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 23:05   #15
hermitcrab
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpForKorn View Post
...and that the higher-ups would return Robin Sage to the make or break status that it once was, instead of just the mere formality it has become today.
Having just finished the last Sage class to go through a couple weeks ago. It seems as though it is no longer a formality. I believe we had nearly 30 dudes get sent to the board for recycle or relief. The 18E's were decimated out there.