Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 02-17-2005, 21:18   #1
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Bent Aircrew!

Pete got me on this subject. In Thailand we got the only recompression chamber between Korea and Okinawa.I'm not sure why except they had the $$$ and it was ultimately turned over to the Thai SF.

In my time we actually got to fire it up for something other than pre-testing students once. The Flight surgeon at U-Tapao sent over a B-52 crew. Our Team Sergeant, Ed Foshee was a school trained diving medic. A diving medic is the boss in diving accidents, over and above doctors. He performed another neurological exam and determined that the men were suffering from decompression sickness, aka the bends.

We recompressed the crew and Foshee was put into direct telephone contact with a flight surgeon in Texas. The surgeon concurred with and approved of each step Ed took.

The only people we ever treated for real weren't even divers. Theiy were a B-52 crew. Apparently their pressurization system had gone haywire and took them upto high altitude and back to below sea leval several times in a short period of time.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 21:44   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Recompression Chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30
In Thailand we got the only recompression chamber between Korea and Okinawa.
When we were working with the ACE Board in Key West we had a Recompression Chamber on the Mike Boat. It took up one of the back quarters of the well deck. It had a limited air bank but would be able to recompress and return to the dock and be slaved to the larger bank. The back half of the well deck had a plywood roof built about 4' higher than the side walls. That set up was great for diving ops.

The Fight Doc was a real strange bird and gave us a number of tests every day. He was using us as lab rats to see if all the O2 was messing us up. Juan G. came up to him one day and said "My fingernails are turning purple" and they were. The doc goes "Hmmmmm, interesting". Juan goes "Do you know what it is?" and the Doc replies "No, but we'll keep and eye on it." Juan kept a close eye on his fingers for the next week or so.

Anyway, about the Recompression Chamber. The Doc wanted to do some chamber runs down to 250' to see how we'd handle it. Five of us got in and the dive medics run us down to 250'. We all have some short pieces of rope and the doc comes on the intercom and starts asking us to tie knots. Now at the time I was a pretty good party animal and so were three of the others. The last guy was a stick in the mud non-drinker. We're all getting the knots until the last one. He says "Tie a slip knot". For the life of me I could not remember how to tie a slip knot. Finally I tie a quick knot. The doc asks each of us to hold up our knots and when it gets to me I hold up a hangmans knot. The other three looked at it and said that's cool. The non-drinker looked, and looked and turned his head and just busted out laughing. He didn't stop until we got back up to around 100'.

Teaching Point - Never do chamber runs with non-drinkers.

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:20   #3
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Pete got me on this subject. In Thailand we got the only recompression chamber between Korea and Okinawa.I'm not sure why except they had the $$$ and it was ultimately turned over to the Thai SF.

In my time we actually got to fire it up for something other than pre-testing students once. The Flight surgeon at U-Tapao sent over a B-52 crew. Our Team Sergeant, Ed Foshee was a school trained diving medic. A diving medic is the boss in diving accidents, over and above doctors. He performed another neurological exam and determined that the men were suffering from decompression sickness, aka the bends.

We recompressed the crew and Foshee was put into direct telephone contact with a flight surgeon in Texas. The surgeon concurred with and approved of each step Ed took.

The only people we ever treated for real weren't even divers. Theiy were a B-52 crew. Apparently their pressurization system had gone haywire and took them upto high altitude and back to below sea leval several times in a short period of time.
Wow Terry. Thanks for that story.

I've never seen people being treated but I have seen people that have needed to be treated.

I was leading an open water class at the Blue Hole in Beautiful Downtown Santa Rosa NM. About 2 hours East of Alb. NM

We were there on a weekend, which is usually full of classess doing their open water dives. Today was no different. Amongest the classess there was a couple (husband/wife) that were there just to dive the hole. I noticed them gearing up as me and my class entered the water for our first dive. We did our skills and as we were exiting the water, that couple passed us and went in.

We changed tanks and did our S.I. for about 20 minutes, then reentered the water were we did our 2nd dive, which lasted about 25 minutes. We exited the water and went back to our spot, to do our log books, when I looked over by the stairs/ramp and saw that couple come out of the water.

I noticed the woman hand her fins to her husband and told him to help her out of her BCD right there. She said rather loudly, that her back was hurting. He helped her out of her BCD, where she promply collapsed. I wasn't the only one watching this. There were several other Instructors watching this. Before her husband had time to ask her what the problem was, there were several Instructors there with O2 bottles and we got her on O2 right away.

We activaed EMS and someone else got on the phone to DAN (Divers Alert Network) to see which chamber in Alb was up and running and then to inform them that they may soon have company. We stabalized the woman and started questioning the man about how he was feeling. He kept reassuring us that he "Felt Fine", but we kept an eye on him anyway.

While the ambulance showed up, we found out that this couple was just up from Texas, and was diving the Blue Hole on their way out West for a nice dive trip. We looked at this couples computers and noticed that they hadn't set the altitude feature on them. The Blue Hole sits at 4600 feet. They were still diving sea level profiles.

We insisted to the husband that he too should be put on O2 and go with his wife into Alb. But he kept saying that he "Felt Fine" and would just follow her in with their car. After some heming and hawing we finally got him on board the ambulance.

We later found out, as they were driving into Alb. he started not "Feeling Fine" and joined his wife for a "chamber ride".

One day I'd like to get to a chamber and see how people are treated.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22   #4
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Portable coffin

In the 10th in Bad Toelz, we had a one man chamber. It was collapsable into a trunk about 4X4X4 ft. It was meant to do until the patient could be moved to a larger facility. If you have ever had an MRI or CAT Scan imagine being pushed into the chamber, only smaller, and having the hatch shut .

We also used it for pre-SCUBA testing. The committee chief, (Evil Gil Secor,RIP) decided to combine the test with a test for claustrophobia. The only way to fit into the chamber and still be able to equalize your ears was to cross your arms over your chest (body in a coffin style). Not only were quarters extremely tight and reminiscent of a coffin but they left the light off and blacked out the window -- total blackness.

There was always at least one applicant who would go completely berserk and we would remove the cover off of the view ports, and bring him out and send him back to his unit.

I'm sure that if you looked, there would be some pretty deep fingernail scrapes on the inside of that chamber.

misery is optional.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:32   #5
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I had a friend who spent a considerable amount of time in and out of a chamber, but it was for CO poisoning.

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 02-18-2005 at 08:36.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:37   #6
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
I had a friend who spent a considerable amount of time in and out of a chamber, but it was for CO poisoning. :eek
I know that CO attaches to the blood cells preventing oxygenation and the only treatment is 100% oxygen and I'm sure under pressure is even better.. Is the condition reversible?

Just a commo guy!

misery is optional.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:08   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
I know that CO attaches to the blood cells preventing oxygenation and the only treatment is 100% oxygen and I'm sure under pressure is even better.. Is the condition reversible?

Just a commo guy!
That is what I was told while he was being treated.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote