Old 11-15-2008, 07:07   #16
Dozer523
BANNED USER

"A Special Forces soldier who makes it to the final exercise, known as Robin Sage, has come a long way, said Command Sgt. Maj. Terry Peters. “He has only aged one year, but has really aged light years,” said Peters, the top enlisted soldier in the 1st Battalion of the 1st Special Warfare Training Group. “He now understands the subtle difference he can make. That is a maturity you just can’t get in any classroom.”

A year is 365 days and a light year is a distance -- how far light, cruising at 186,000 mile per SECOND, travels in a year. (whew). It might not be gramaticly correct but it is true. The Q course is about how far you go not how long it takes.

Do they still do the Civil Action Project at the end? We built a pole barn on an out of the way farm. I learned that you nail through the top ridge of corragated sheeting not the trough, that it is really hard to hold a nail steady on the curved top, that when I'm tired enough I'll hear the hammer hit my thumb rather then feel it. And, when your teammate's hammer slides off the roof he'll probably follow it because he fell asleep! After we were done the extended family of this G arrived and covered two picnic tables with a Thanksgivng feast -- then they stood back! It was so great! (In my day Robin Sage was based on a point system. It wasn't hard to keep a rough tally of your standing) All but two of us had "tabbed out" on points before the final mission so this meal was our Victory Dinner. It was the first time I ever tasted wild turkey -- the bird kind. (That last mission might have looked like an ambush but it was really about making sure those last two graduated. It became the academic equavalant of "taking a bullet" for them.) Is there a RS "NSTIW" story thread?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:39   #17
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Robin Sage

What caused so many 18E's to fail??

BMT
Old 11-15-2008, 11:00   #18
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

BMT
Granted that this was lonnnnng ago, but during Robin Sage our commo guys were having trouble communicating. It was March, and very cold. A "commo committee" guy came out, threw a coil of commo wire out on the ground as the antenna, and communicated like crazy. He told our guys they were trying to communicate halfway around the world when the base was actually "around the corner". Probably not germane to this instance.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:12   #19
hermitcrab
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMT View Post

BMT
Bottom line is that they didn't know their jobs... There was a lot of pressure put on us out there as far as commo goes. I don't know the whole story but there was a team that didn't make comms back to the base station for 3 days or something ridiculous. As far as the rest goes... they just didn't have it together. I think only like 40 or 50% of the echos out there made it through.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:45   #20
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Granted that this was lonnnnng ago, but during Robin Sage our commo guys were having trouble communicating. It was March, and very cold. A "commo committee" guy came out, threw a coil of commo wire out on the ground as the antenna, and communicated like crazy. He told our guys they were trying to communicate halfway around the world when the base was actually "around the corner". Probably not germane to this instance.
Sounds German to me! Well, maybe the base station the 18E have to reach ought to be "halfway around the world" or at least far away". Like Lewis. Since we train them to transmit a long, long way why not test them on it too? I read that in the olden days of WWII they set up huge antenna farms in England to catch the Morse sent via very directional antennas. Commo Guys? I don't know nothing about this magic stuff.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:50   #21
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitcrab View Post
Bottom line is that they didn't know their jobs... There was a lot of pressure put on us out there as far as commo goes. I don't know the whole story but there was a team that didn't make comms back to the base station for 3 days or something ridiculous. As far as the rest goes... they just didn't have it together. I think only like 40 or 50% of the echos out there made it through.
I can tell you this is nothing new. My class had the same problem and we just did not graduate that many for our class. After the Commo Cmte came out and did the same they just kept on. It was a fact of , New 05B's, stress of having to do all the task on a team not just commo, and not knowing their job as well as they thought. The Base station was on Bragg, 7th SFG BOP and as you mentioned they were shooting over them. HF is a lot easier in long distance than close.

They did a 2 week retrain and put most of them in the next Phase II class. I think most made it but they were not happy having to do all of Phase II again.
That was Life back then as now. You know that every a team goes out for training or for real it is a COMEX..... That is just the way the Command makes it.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 21:40   #22
colmurph

Jesus! I must be old. I remember when it was called Cherokee Trail and then Gobblers Woods. Samo-Samo though, and it was really FUN! The locals in Pineland were really super! We had a farmer with an air strip and a Piper Cub who took us up for recon flights. All we had to pay him for his trouble was a few cases of C's. He was extatic! Probably got cases of C-rats from all the following classes too. Wish I had a nickle for every still I found out there in Pineland.
Old 03-04-2009, 16:27   #23
Rbell33wp
Asset

G-Chief

What's up guys,

Does anyone have an idea on how I can reach the civilian G-Chiefs who work on Robin Sage.

When I took part in Robin Sage he had the best stories, but I promptly lost his contact info. Any ideas?
Rbell33wp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 16:33   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbell33wp View Post
What's up guys,

Does anyone have an idea on how I can reach the civilian G-Chiefs who work on Robin Sage.

When I took part in Robin Sage he had the best stories, but I promptly lost his contact info. Any ideas?
This is not friendfinder.com.

Please stop posting in multiple forums looking for the same thing.

We don't do that here.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 18:11   #25
DiverMedic
FTFSI

Location: Living in Fort Drum but consider Bragg more of a home than here.
Was out there as a G, though with 922. Cold it was and ate some good pig and chicken and squirrel. Great experience, learned a lot and met a group of great people. Got to watch most of them in their ceremony today. If I had to do Sage as a detail or volunteer I would definately do it again.
DiverMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 20:15   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverMedic View Post
Was out there as a G, though with 922. Cold it was and ate some good pig and chicken and squirrel. Great experience, learned a lot and met a group of great people. Got to watch most of them in their ceremony today. If I had to do Sage as a detail or volunteer I would definately do it again.
Great. Now go to your post of 12-28-08 and do what you were directed to do in the post after yours.