Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 03-09-2010, 20:30   #31
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
I just swung by the S-1 at 1-10th SFG(A) on my last trip looking for more coins. They no longer sell them to the general public. so it appears that any 1-10th SFG(A) coins procurement will be problematic in the near future.
I was digging through some junk the other night and found my 1st Bn Stuttgart coin. Still can't find my BT version...

Worried I lost a couple of Soviet 10 ruble commenorative coins I had and some old Dutch Guilders... And probably some other junk.

Man, I need to settle down sometime.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 20:33   #32
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
Al
Srry for the delay, I've pawed through a bunch of my crap and found quite a few coins, but not the "wooden Indian" one pictured above. I'm pretty sure I had one, maybe I gave it away to somebody in one of my drunken episodes

I'll keep looking. If I find it, it's yours.

Dr J
Now when was there ever a drunken episode around there? I don't remember any...
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 19:14   #33
tolzerman
Quiet Professional

10th Group Coins

Sorry I'm late to this thread as I just got back home. Attached are most of the 10th Group Coins I've aquired over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th Group Coins.jpg (76.4 KB, 132 views)
" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. " George Orwell

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell
tolzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:13   #34
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Wow! Those are mint condition!
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:11   #35
tolzerman
Quiet Professional

Coins

Yeah, Most have sat in a wooden felt lined box for years. I still carry my 1st Bad Toelz coin with me everywhere though. It was gold dipped in 1991 in Turkey coming back from Provide Comfort I.
" Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me. " George Orwell

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell
tolzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 13:17   #36
Bennett
Quiet Professional

Number 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtR View Post
Here is one from the 35th Reunion in 1988.
I still carry the 35th, mine is #57, but I have an ashtray full of all the other ones. Best coining story. We were doing the Austrian winter JCET in 85, I was on 091. Austria was still neutral in the cold war so our first stop at was to get Austrian uniforms, very cool, I still have my “Gebirgs Mütze ". Anyway we took a tracked vehicle up the mountain and stayed at one of their high altitude Kasernes, CRS I don't remember the name. Tim Connif was on the team and he had been coining everyone for biers. So we made some rules, no hiding in your butt cheeks, soap box, shaving kit, shower shoes, pretty much everything we could think of to prevent Tim from taking advantage of the shower room. Third day we get back in from our ski tour, hit the showers and Tim walks in with a shit eating grin and the distinctive sound of a coin hits the floor. We immediately go into our rules and to everyone he says nope not there. Finally we gave up and told him we all would buy him a bier just show us where he hid it. He picks it up and places it on the head of his manhood and folds his foreskin over it, then swings it around like Gypsy Rose Lee. Man what a sight, he drank well that night and we added that place to the forbidden hide sites in the morning.
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]

Last edited by Bennett; 03-29-2010 at 13:44.
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:49   #37
Coaster
Asset

I am looking to try and replace my Toelz coin also. Does anyone have any of the old Beret flashes, or know where I can find a couple?
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 23:57   #38
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolzerman View Post
Sorry I'm late to this thread as I just got back home. Attached are most of the 10th Group Coins I've aquired over the years.

This question can be answered by anyone who may know, I just quoted tolzerman.

How common was it for soldiers to have coins engraved or numbered? I know that the original 10th group coins were sterling silver if I remember correctly and were all numbered.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:01   #39
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
How common was it for soldiers to have coins engraved or numbered?
We used to have a rule that if it wasn't engraved with your name/nickname/initials, it didn't count in a coin check because you could be using anybody's coin.

Numbering was rare during my time - never saw a numbered coin from the 5th or 7th coins purchased through the Adjutant - the DetEur coins weren't numbered when I was there but the original Joe Beasley designed 1-10th coins were as they were specially struck for the BN.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00   #40
Stras
Quiet Professional

Mine were engraved with my Team number and name.

Stras

Its all personal preference. though if your coin isn't engraved, then when we throw it across the room anyone can claim it as theirs.... in which case you're buying since you don't have a coin.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 16:32   #41
Bennett
Quiet Professional

COINS

It all depended on the decade. In the 80s when we were doing SITCA (SP) it was prep to go into some shit hole and watch the Carpathian army pass by and then try an unassisted long range E&E. Team Daddies told you to do everything to hide your ID even practice when at home station, low key, quite pro and all that so most coins were just numbered. No tats, team hats or t-shirts (we all wore the Junker Schule black t-shirt just to confuse everyone, til some leg complained about the Nazi history of the name???) In the 90s, the wall came down, the Balkans were kicking up and we were deployed as LNOs to former eastern bloc armies by companies and teams, couldn't hide much. More tats started to be seen. Turkey had coins cheap that had your name/Bn/Co casted with the coins. Then 2000, an enemy that we wanted to piss off so much the tats came out with crusader themes, coins were cheap enough that each team had their own. Now I can’t wait to see what the 10s bring.
De Oppresso Liber
Old 11-30-2010, 00:55   #42
cszakolczai

Thank you gentleman, great information. I've seen a big change in coins over the years. I've had a number of them given to me, and as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size. The last 5th group coin I was given from the 90's is about double the size of the original 10th group coin.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:22   #43
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size.
All of my old Group coins are the same size as a US silver dollar; wouldn't want to carry around anything larger than that.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44   #44
MVP
Quiet Professional

Quote:
as the years move on, it seems as if the coins get larger in size.
The larger size is for the FOGs.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16   #45
Bennett
Quiet Professional

coins "it's not the size, it's what you do with it"

I have a Stammtisch aschenbecher full of coins of all shapes and sizes. The larger ones are defiantly not made to be carried around. Each rotation into Iraq we had a CJSOTF and FOB coin made, I’ve got the first three and have seen some of the others, big clunkers but everyone has a cool design and a story behind it. The 10th Group 50th anniversary (1952-2002) coin was a nice one; I have it JBed to my 2002 HD.
De Oppresso Liber