Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-06-2004, 19:16   #1
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Question Kifaru's Universal GunBearer

Hi,
Have anybody tried the Universal GunBearer from Kifaru??
Any Feedbacks??

http://kifaru.net/MGgunber.htm

Thank you

Last edited by Desert Fox; 02-06-2004 at 19:29.
Desert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 19:20   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

You bear your "gun" in your hands in SF. You do not tie it to your rucksack.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 20:07   #3
eggroll
Guerrilla

now that you have been told so,

the gunbearer is a good piece of kit for a hunter or survivalist type.

I had two mounted on my EMR and one on my scout, for hiking and scrambling, the system was fairly secure. I would look at further investigation. Try the hunting forums at kifaru.net

EGG
Old 02-06-2004, 20:16   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'm sure its a good piece of kit, I've never heard a bad word spoken about Kifaru. But you will never use it in SF.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-06-2004, 20:28   #5
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'm sure its a good piece of kit, I've never heard a bad word spoken about Kifaru. But you will never use it in SF.

Thanks,

all noted.

Another question: what type of sling is used the most.I saw many pictures of ODAs with conventional slings.Is that the rule?
Old 02-06-2004, 20:32   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

On my Team, we took the slings off for green ops. Slings teach bad habits (like slinging your weapon). And we taped down the sling swivels.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-06-2004, 20:43   #7
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
On my Team, we took the slings off for green ops. Slings teach bad habits (like slinging your weapon). And we taped down the sling swivels.
I am very happy to hear that.I didnt know.

another question: per example, for a forward air observation mission, would YOU put a sling??

Thank you!

Last edited by Desert Fox; 02-06-2004 at 20:51.
Old 02-06-2004, 20:46   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

No.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-06-2004, 20:48   #9
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
No.

Carefully noted.
Old 02-06-2004, 20:53   #10
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Hi

Another question: what about nav without sling? How do you deal with this, asuming you are with a map and a compass? Maybe a little difficult?
But you can always still hold your weapon with one hand, and aim the compass with the other, of course!

I will train myself in that way.I have ordered a non-firing replica of the M4, used for movies.In Canada firearms laws are very restricted.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 02-06-2004 at 21:01.
Old 02-06-2004, 20:57   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

That's what we used to have Lieutenants for, but now that they're gone, you put the rifle in the crook of your arm, it leaves both hands free.

Why are you so worried about slings?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-06-2004, 21:03   #12
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
That's what we used to have Lieutenants for, but now that they're gone, you put the rifle in the crook of your arm, it leaves both hands free.

Why are you so worried about slings?
Excuse me but what you mean by crook? Maybe you know I am a French speaking soldier...
Old 02-06-2004, 21:09   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

LOL - No, I didn't. The place where your elbow bends. The other way to do it is use a drive on rag (cravat) for a sling if you need one temporarily, makes much less noise. Do a search for B52 Tips of the Trade. Everything you need to know about green ops.

Here's another one:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Sch.../JOTB/b720.htm
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-06-2004, 21:21   #14
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
LOL - No, I didn't. The place where your elbow bends. The other way to do it is use a drive on rag (cravat) for a sling if you need one temporarily, makes much less noise. Do a search for B52 Tips of the Trade. Everything you need to know about green ops.

Here's another one:

http://www.specialoperations.com/Sch.../JOTB/b720.htm
I really thank you for that link.I will read it right now.
To answer your question ( why I'm wondering about slings): just a detail in many, but I am still very interested to know about it.I always have plenty of questions.And I try to answer them by thinking, live training, and by other's experience. I dont think my unit gives me enough training.
Old 02-06-2004, 21:24   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

You're most welcome
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?