Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 08-18-2004, 19:18   #1
Adam White
Auxiliary

Eye dominance and CQB training

A question for the training gurus here:

My younger brother shoots rifle left handed but pistol right handed. This is because when he was first taught to shoot rifle - from a competitive smallbore aspect – his coach started him with his dominant eye.

At the police academy, he was right handed, so they had him just shoot pistol right handed. He says he uses his left eye, though.

He is now training with his popo department’s SWAT team, and is having issues with transition drills (rifle interfering with holster), and also being the only lefty.

Would you recommend he train to primarily shoot rifle right handed – and ignore eye dominance. He IS naturally right handed – is the dexterity more important than the precision? After all, he isn’t training for a high power match. In terms of dexterity, he feels equally comfortable shouldering on either side – since he is used to habitually shooting lefty yet is naturally a righty. He does say, though, that he can keep both eyes open using his dominant eye, but has to close his left eye if he shoulder his rifle right handed.

What is more important – being geared equally and avoiding the headache of being different in training – or sticking with the dominant eye? With the emphasis so much on optics – is eye dominance still considered important? Has it EVER been considered more important than manual dexterity from a CQB, dynamic shooting standpoint?

Any tips and tricks for transitioning from a left handed slung carbine to a right handed holstered pistol?

I would appreciate any info, experience you can offer. Thanks.

-fixed typo-

Last edited by Adam White; 08-18-2004 at 20:14.
Adam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 19:38   #2
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Adam,

We run into this all the time in my departement (people being cross eye dominant). I personally believe and teach the person to whatever they are most comfortable doing. However I have found that it is easiest for people to use whichever side is their dominant eye side. I.E. left eye dominant. Shoot using your left hand and left shoulder or vise versa. No matter which handed they are. You can train yourself to be as effecitent with your weak side as you are with your strong side. I have seen it first hand.

Just my .02 cents
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 19:51   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I am right handed and left eye dominant.

I have always shot with my right eye, with iron sights or optics.

With todays optics there is no effect as far as eye dominance is concerned.

HTH

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 20:05   #4
Adam White
Auxiliary

Wow - thanks for the quick responses!

I guess it may come down to what he is most comfortable with - and now he is torn between the comforts of having gear configured the same way as everyone else and in the direction the trainers keep referring - and the comforts of shouldering a weapon on the side is is most used to.

TS - before the dawn of modern optics, how did you resolve your cross dominance issue? Did you just close one eye as you acquired your sights?

In the event that the kid decides to stick with the left hand - does anyone have any sugestion for handling the pistol tranistion issue? Is there a way to work a tac sling where he could drop the weapon along his left side, keeping his holster side free of obstruction?
Old 08-18-2004, 20:10   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam White

TS - before the dawn of modern optics, how did you resolve your cross dominance issue? Did you just close one eye as you acquired your sights?
It was never really an issue for me, adapt and overcome. Yes, I'd close my left eye (or almost close).

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 20:12   #6
Adam White
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Adam,

... You can train yourself to be as effecitent with your weak side as you are with your strong side. I have seen it first hand.

Just my .02 cents
That I, too, have seen first hand - and is the case with the lil' bro. I have a pretty deep and credentialed background in the competitive paper shooting world. I would not claim, however, to know a thing about how that might transfer over to the shorter ranges, group tactics, and faster shooting of you ninja types.

FWIW, he is definitely good with the rifle left handed - just nowhere near as good as his older brother.

Last edited by Adam White; 08-18-2004 at 20:15.
Adam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 21:32   #7
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam White

In the event that the kid decides to stick with the left hand - does anyone have any sugestion for handling the pistol tranistion issue? Is there a way to work a tac sling where he could drop the weapon along his left side, keeping his holster side free of obstruction?

What type of long guns are they using?
What type of slings are they using?

Possibly a sling point would work for him?

I'm left handed and left eye dominant so I shoot left handed but I can't use a 3 point sling b/c it covers the ejection port on my AR. I use a single point sling plate by Duane Dieter (GG&G also makes good ones) and a Blackhawk Ind. sling.

I have also seen guys attach there long guns at the buttstock to their web gear on their strong side. This would allow him to drop his weapon have it fall to the left side and leave his right side open for draw.

---I personally don't like this because it attaches the weapon to your strong side and it does not allow for easy transition of your long gun to your weak side.

Just my .02 cents.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 21:39   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Had a guy like this last class. Tell him to try just letting the primary hang in front and shoot around it. It worked for the guy the class after we experimented quite a bit.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:52   #9
GackMan
Guerrilla

I'm right hand left eye too.

I shoot rifle right handed and use my right eye.

But I shoot pistol right handed and use my left eye. It is easy to put the pistol in front of me and line it up with my left eye.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

I am a right handed shooter but left eye dominant also. I have always used my left eye when shooting pistols but with both eyes fully open. With rifles, I have always done as the TS describes and used my right eye and squinted but not closed my left eye.

Team Sergeant, what are your thoughts on shooting pistols left eye dominant /right handed? What are the side effects (problems inherant in doing so)?

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 08-19-2004 at 10:21.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:34   #11
Guy
Quiet Professional

Sac:

I was the same way, to alleviate the problem. I brought a pair of cheap shooting glasses and colored-out the left lense with a black sharpee.

I wore those glasss for awhile. I'm right eye dominant now.

When transitioning from the rifle to the pistol...I would have two front-sight pics.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:59   #12
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Thanks Guy...
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 16:50   #13
flyboy1
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy
Sac:

I was the same way, to alleviate the problem. I brought a pair of cheap shooting glasses and colored-out the left lense with a black sharpee.

I wore those glasss for awhile. I'm right eye dominant now.

When transitioning from the rifle to the pistol...I would have two front-sight pics.
Yep, same here.....but I did not use Guy's scientific method of training the left eye; although it probably would have worked better than my method.
I took the "easy" route and closed mine all the time when shooting IPSC. It took a while, but you can train your right eye to "take over" the sight picture.
flyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 17:58   #14
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

My two cents

You will never be as good shooting cross dominate as you will be if you take the time to shoot with your normal dominate eye. We used to force the guys to shoot with thier dominate eye and it worked very well. After the initial "I don't want to", they found themselves to be more comfortable and relaxed shooting.

I would recommend that he stops shooting right handed with left eye and train for just a bit left handed and left eyed. I think his ability will go up after the initial shock is over with and he learns to relax shooting with his left hand. He will learn to point more naturally with the left hand and during barrier shooting he willnot have to expose half of his body on both sides of the body due to his crossing of slhooting left eye, but right handed. remember he is left eyed due to the fact that his right hemisphere is dominate, crossing it will cause some problems beyond his shooting during move and shoot time.

My thoughts and his decision. Let the fun begin!

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:54   #15
Guy
Quiet Professional

LR47:

I'm talking about a "two" carry weapon system, in which we use.

Trying to get an individual who is right hand/left eye dominate to switch to shooting left handed is damn near impossible...that's like telling a person who writes with his left hand he should write with his right hand, they just will not do it.

As far "barriers" I can counter that argument by just changing sides...what happens when a left handed shooter has to shoot around the right side of a barrier?

Distance plays a major factor in shooting with one eye -vs- both eyes being open.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote