Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 01-03-2013, 18:25   #1
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

State, local and jurisdictional-level actions related to gun-control (Post-Newtown)

There are multiple threads that have already started related to reactions to the recent shootings. National-level politics tends to take the lead, but what is occurring locally can sometimes be overshadowed.

The idea of starting this thread is to provide discussion on what is occurring within our individual States and localities. Information that would be of good use to responsible gun-owners and those who are engaged with the established processes (executive, legislative, judicial or law-enforcement)

Currently residing in an occupied bastion of liberalism... I watch closely.

From the Peoples Republic of Maryland (PRM)...

Quote:
Jan 3, 2013 2:26 p.m.

Research conducted by a state-appointed task force on the relationship between mental illness and regulated firearms reveals that those on the task force believe additional research is needed.

It also reveals that those conducting the study, a team made up of lawmakers, mental health experts and law enforcement officials, believe keeping guns out of the hands of all considered "mentally ill" may be too broad.
Link HERE

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 01-03-2013 at 18:27.
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:36   #2
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
There does need to be more places to put people that are mentally ill and need supervision. Not everyone with a mental illness needs to be put away but there are several that do and the system waits until the do something and put them in prison instead.
Maybe a court ordered mental health probation where those that need it can check-in/stay at a halfway house or check-in at a community probation site where they can receive/take meds and be on their way. Those who have trouble staying on meds will get the halfway house.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:36   #3
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
There are multiple threads that have already started related to reactions to the recent shootings. National-level politics tends to take the lead, but what is occurring locally can sometimes be overshadowed.

The idea of starting this thread is to provide discussion on what is occurring within our individual States and localities. Information that would be of good use to responsible gun-owners and those who are engaged with the established processes (executive, legislative, judicial or law-enforcement)

Currently residing in an occupied bastion of liberalism... I watch closely.

From the Peoples Republic of Maryland (PRM)...

Link HERE
Ahh a fellow Marylander. My father, a NRA instructor, called up to ask about a concealed carry permit and the lady actually laughed at him. Wonderful state.
On topic, I'm not worried about this gun ban bill passing. With a Republican controlled house it just won't happen and not even Obama would dare sign an executive order for that, as much as he does love those handy maneuvers. America will remain a bastion of freedom for the next decade or so at least.
Dekadenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 22:42   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadenz View Post
Ahh a fellow Marylander. My father, a NRA instructor, called up to ask about a concealed carry permit and the lady actually laughed at him. Wonderful state.
On topic, I'm not worried about this gun ban bill passing. With a Republican controlled house it just won't happen and not even Obama would dare sign an executive order for that, as much as he does love those handy maneuvers. America will remain a bastion of freedom for the next decade or so at least.
Yeah, I thought that about the Republican House up till they sold out on the fiscal cliff bill.

I don't think so anymore. Anything is possible with these traitors.

Obama will sign anything he wants to now.

Talk about an imperial presidency.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 23:07   #5
Destrier
Quiet Professional

The latest from New York, voting next week.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S1422-2013

And where pray tell would they put all the new felons that said, 'I will not comply'.

Looks like I may need to sell the property and head West.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 19:01   #6
Dekadenz
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Yeah, I thought that about the Republican House up till they sold out on the fiscal cliff bill.

I don't think so anymore. Anything is possible with these traitors.

TR
While you're probably correct I choose to disagree based on necessity. My sanity and temperament would not hold up well if I believed that.

The only thing Boehner has done in the past couple years I agreed with was telling Harry Reid to go fuck himself, twice. Please no mo' executive orders Massa Obama.
Dekadenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01   #7
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

TR
With plenty of accomplices in both houses.
One of many little daggers that were waiting upon swearing in; there are more, their text just isn't back from the Gov Printing Office yet.
Quote:
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `NRA Members' Gun Safety Act of 2013'.
TITLE I--REQUIRING A BACKGROUND CHECK FOR EVERY FIREARM SALE
SEC. 101. PURPOSE.
The purpose of this title is to extend the Brady Law background check procedures to all sales and transfers of firearms.
Note the way it's worded to brand the NRA as endorsing it.
The 'soft' fight is moot and would take a generation or better. The other kind is about to be 'on'.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51   #8
Ghost_Team
Quiet Professional

I think Obama WILL sign it, whether it is a law or an executive order. If the majority of Americans were stupid enough to put him in for another 4 years, then he is definitely dumb enough to sign it. After all, he has nothing to lose, and one thing I have learned is to never ever underestimate someone who has nothing to lose.
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken"
Ghost_Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32   #9
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

DPRM

But I guess it's OK to go home and play "Grand Theft Auto"

Quote:
Bang! You're suspended: Maryland children punished for making gun gestures

"Kaine says most 6-year-olds’ minds aren’t developed enough to understand why their idea of fun play might make adults upset"
Story here

There were also a couple of arrests recently at a gun show for vendors selling "high capacity" magazines (more than 20 rounds) which violates MD law.

Story here

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 01-17-2013 at 08:41.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49   #10
tonyz
Area Commander

Massachusetts following NY.

http://www.mass.gov/governor/legisla...arms-laws.html

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

Gun Control for Dummies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Control for Dummies.jpg (233.5 KB, 124 views)

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59   #12
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Shocker...well...NOT

I recall having to obtain my FID to purchase ammunition while stationed there.

James Madison
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13   #13
tonyz
Area Commander

Looks like MA is going the route of the 7 round limit and a requirement to sell your noncompliant mags.

NH storage facilities will be packed.

"SECTION 24. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in line 3, the word “1994.” and inserting in place thereof the following words:- 1994; or (ii) a large capacity feeding device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; or (iii) a large capacity feeding device that such person lawfully possessed before the effective date of this act that has a capacity of, or that can readily be restored or converted to accept, more than seven but no more than ten rounds of ammunition, where such device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition.”

"SECTION 25. Said section 131M of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by adding the following paragraph:-

Any large capacity feeding device that has or can readily be restored or converted to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition that was legally possessed by an individual prior to the enactment of this act must be sold or otherwise lawfully disposed of within one year of the act’s effective date. Such large capacity feeding devices may only be sold or disposed of to a purchaser authorized to possess such weapon."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
NH storage facilities will be packed.
Unless people are gonna use air-travel to get in/out of their locker they need to be locking in the opposite compass direction.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21   #15
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Unless people are gonna use air-travel to get in/out of their locker they need to be locking in the opposite compass direction.
Live Free or Die - the good folks of NH have yet to be entirely corrupted by liberal Massholes (apologies for the redundancy).

But, your advice is well taken.

Marcus Tullius Cicero