Old 10-25-2019, 14:15   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
UK PT Deaths

The UK Army is also struggling with inclusive PT standards.

Quote:
Joshua Hoole: 'Very serious failings' in soldier's death, 3 hours ago

A coroner has "grave concerns" about the Army's "ability to learn from previous mistakes", an inquest heard.

Cpl Joshua Hoole, 26, from Ecclefechan, Dumfries and Galloway, died after a fitness test in Brecon, Powys, on 19 July 2016.

Senior Birmingham coroner Louise Hunt outlined "very serious" failings.

She said his death was caused by a "combination of factors" and recorded a conclusion of sudden arrhythmogenic cardiac death.

His death came three years after three Army reservists died during an SAS selection march in the Brecon Beacons.

Cpl Hoole, who had previously been deployed to Afghanistan and was described as "fit, capable and determined", died within an hour of collapsing 400 metres (1,300 ft) from the end of an annual fitness test (AFT).

The inquest heard it was the hottest day of the year and of the 41 soldiers taking part, 18 dropped out, collapsed or were withdrawn.

Thee years before Cpl Hoole's death, L/Cpl Edward Maher, 31, L/Cpl Craig Roberts, 24, and Cpl James Dunsby, 31, died after a trek during which they carried up to 27kg (4st) on their backs of on one of the hottest days of 2013.

At an inquest into their deaths, the same coroner concluded there had been a lack of awareness about key health and safety documents, including one called JSP 539.

Highlighting the Army's "continuing" failure in that field at Cpl Hoole's inquest, Ms Hunt said she would be sending a report to prevent future deaths to the defence secretary.

She added: "There was a report to prevent future deaths issued in July 2015 following inquests which specifically raised concerns about lack of awareness of JSP 539.(c attached files)

"I consider the continuing lack of awareness and failure to follow up to be a very serious failing which directly impacted on the safety of the AFT.

"The failure of the Army to learn from previous mistakes is a very concerning matter for me.

"It is a matter of grave concern for me I am raising the same concerns - I really want to give a message to the Army."

'No temperature training' since soldier's death
Soldier 'exhausted' in march before friend died

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-50179071

link: Men acquitted after fatal SAS march in Brecon Beacons, 18 September 2018

ref PDF files:

link: JSP 539 Part 1 Draft (V0.0 Nov 16)JSP 539 Part 1 V3.1 Feb19JSP 539HEAT ILLNESS AND COLD INJURY:PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENTPart 1: Directive, PDF

link: JSP 539HEAT ILLNESS ANDCOLDINJURY:PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENTPart 2: Guidance, PDF

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote