Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 04-09-2013, 12:05   #301
SonOfLiberty
SF Candidate

My original ship date was 20130220, but I broke my toe at the gym and the date got pushed back to 20130422. I bought a bike to keep up with the cardio. Everything had been going good until I went ass over handlebars and broke my wrist last Monday. My new ship date is up in the air depending on the healing process. Recruiter is saying sometime in September. I wasn't doing anything crazy the two times that I broke something, it just happened. I very well could have broken something walking up and down the stairs. I'm currently working just my core muscles because that's the only thing that doesn't involve hands or feet. If anyone has any suggestions lemme know. I'm bummed because all I want to do is ship out and be there, but at least this will give me more time to prepare. I'm staying positive, and working through it.

04/10/2013 - Just talked to Rob at Military Athlete and they've got a program for injured guys. Can't stop me!

Last edited by SonOfLiberty; 04-10-2013 at 14:44.
SonOfLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17   #302
Agmundr
Asset

Right now, my workout is built around this:

Day 1: Pushup improvement (10 sets of 25), core, distance run (usually around 4 miles)
Day 2: Pullups (10, 8, 6, 4, 2 pullups/10, 8, 6, 4, 2 chinups), overhead press, ruck
Day 3: Light full body circuit training, recumbent bike 45 minutes
Day 4: Repeat Day 1 with Tabatas for Pushup improvement and core
Day 5: Repeat Day 2 with 5 sets of max towel pullups
Day 6: Rest

Note that I've done 10 years of active Infantry, and I've got a pretty solid "Army fitness" type of foundation already.

I'm on Recruiting duty right now, so I live in a remote desert area in SoCal, which means nowhere to swim or climb ropes. I'm incorporating towel pullups on my Day 5 Pullup workout to help with the lack of ropes.

One thing that I really like about where I live is that we're at a higher altitude (approx 3800 ft), which always helps. Additionally, we have lots of mountains to hike on which I do when time and gas money to get to said mountains permits. I've been at it for about a month now and don't have a class date until October, so I'm starting nice and easy with distances and weights on the rucks and minding my feet.

One thing I'm really curious about: Everything I've read in Get Selected! as well as on here talks about toughening your feet using alcohol baths and such. However, on the SORB website there's some videos, and the guy recommends actually softening your feet by filing down calluses and using lotion. I'm sticking with the Get Selected! book's advice, but I was just curious if anyone had followed the advice given in the video, and if so how well it worked for you.
Agmundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 16:14   #303
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agmundr View Post
One thing I'm really curious about: Everything I've read in Get Selected! as well as on here talks about toughening your feet using alcohol baths and such. However, on the SORB website there's some videos, and the guy recommends actually softening your feet by filing down calluses and using lotion. I'm sticking with the Get Selected! book's advice, but I was just curious if anyone had followed the advice given in the video, and if so how well it worked for you.
Have you done a Search for that here?

No point in having people spend their time repeating their thoughts.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 19:25   #304
Agmundr
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Have you done a Search for that here?

No point in having people spend their time repeating their thoughts.

TR
I have, but perhaps my Search-Fu isn't strong enough as I didn't really find anything relating to that specifically. I did find some absolutely fantastic advice regarding toughening the feet, which I appreciate and apply, but regarding that video and the alternate preparation techniques, not so much. Like I said, I'm sticking with the tried and true methods discussed on here as well as Get Selected!, but am just curious if anyone has anything to share regarding experiences with the other method from the video.
Old 05-29-2013, 20:52   #305
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agmundr View Post
I have, but perhaps my Search-Fu isn't strong enough as I didn't really find anything relating to that specifically. I did find some absolutely fantastic advice regarding toughening the feet, which I appreciate and apply, but regarding that video and the alternate preparation techniques, not so much. Like I said, I'm sticking with the tried and true methods discussed on here as well as Get Selected!, but am just curious if anyone has anything to share regarding experiences with the other method from the video.
Really?

I searched "feet lotion" and got several good threads which discussed this topic.

Try it and let me know what you find.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 21:03   #306
Agmundr
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Really?

I searched "feet lotion" and got several good threads which discussed this topic.

Try it and let me know what you find.

TR
Hey awesome, thanks! You found the weakness of my Search-Fu: I didn't the right keyword of "lotion".
Old 06-01-2013, 16:06   #307
Jersey Dirtbag
SF Candidate

Location: Spring Lake, NC. Returning to the NYC area after this odyssey.
When I started training for SFRE/SFAS about a year ago, I had soft girly feet. I spent a few months just going out and training under a ruck until I'd get a couple of hot spots, and then either take the light rail or gently walk back to my apartment (I live in an urban area). Once I could handle 6-10 mile ruck events without hot spots, I maintained my feet by just going for one 8-12 mile hike in the mountains every weekend with my ruck (at a leisurely pace -- your feet will benefit from this activity regardless of your speed).

My point is that all this voodoo foot care that's designed to keep you from getting hot spots during your initial train-up is counterproductive. You won't develop the toughness you need to carry you through the endless miles under heavy loads at SFAS. During training, you should be pushing yourself to, but not beyond, your physical limit every time. That's how you expand your threshold of suck.

That said, I would suggest you take all the foot care advice you get (mine included) with a handful of salt because it's going to be very individual-specific. Get a general feel for what people are doing to train up for these events and then just keep training until you're able to meet the standards that are already out in the public domain. Developed a blister at mile 10? No need for any soul (or internet) searching; it just means you're not ready yet. Train more. Duh.
Jersey Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 20:15   #308
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

On the feet issue

For feet I chose the hard way of training:

Get to a beach, spend the day with your shirt off, drinking, and trying to impress women while playing football, frisbee, or soccer in the sand barefoot.

The alcohol and women take your mind off how much damage your actually doing to your feet. The next day is all recuperation or if your really made for SF do a hair of the dog day and get back on that horse.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't recommend this to be your ONLY training but it does help for those days you want to have some fun but still get some training in.
Old 06-26-2013, 23:09   #309
Dcox09
Asset

Training while deployed

Back on the training issue. I am currently following the "GET SELECTED!" workout. It seemed like a challenge and Id like to get up in the double digits of rucking.
When I first tried out at the NG SF unit near me, I DID NOT prepare like I should have. To "train up" I ran 2 miles once a week, id run a mile with my ruck maybe once every two weeks, and I weighed 145lbs. I did not know what I was getting into. After the first night of being on the training team, I started thinking why in the world am I doing this, do I really want it that bad; it was a huge gut check. I got over the mental part and just did it untill I either made it or got injured. Guess which one got me first . That didnt stop me though. While recovering, I researched, read a ton of info on the history of SF, learned how to work out, then made plans to go back. After a year and a half of training I weigh 178 lbs and score 290+ on my PT tests
Honestly, I dont ruck as much as I should... Thats why I decided to nut up or shut up by using my free time on this deployment by following the workout and annotating my gains. I am already able to ruck further with 50lbs and my feet are gettin more tough as I go. I am anxious to see where I am after these 30 days and make my own SFAS plan... which will most likley include those God awful burpees . Anyways, Ill keep you posted on my progression and maybe I'll be able to help some of you out with my experiences. Happy rucking
Dcox09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 22:35   #310
wethewilling
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcox09 View Post
Back on the training issue. I am currently following the "GET SELECTED!" workout. It seemed like a challenge and Id like to get up in the double digits of rucking.
When I first tried out at the NG SF unit near me, I DID NOT prepare like I should have. To "train up" I ran 2 miles once a week, id run a mile with my ruck maybe once every two weeks, and I weighed 145lbs. I did not know what I was getting into. After the first night of being on the training team, I started thinking why in the world am I doing this, do I really want it that bad; it was a huge gut check. I got over the mental part and just did it untill I either made it or got injured. Guess which one got me first . That didnt stop me though. While recovering, I researched, read a ton of info on the history of SF, learned how to work out, then made plans to go back. After a year and a half of training I weigh 178 lbs and score 290+ on my PT tests
Honestly, I dont ruck as much as I should... Thats why I decided to nut up or shut up by using my free time on this deployment by following the workout and annotating my gains. I am already able to ruck further with 50lbs and my feet are gettin more tough as I go. I am anxious to see where I am after these 30 days and make my own SFAS plan... which will most likley include those God awful burpees . Anyways, Ill keep you posted on my progression and maybe I'll be able to help some of you out with my experiences. Happy rucking
I'm incredibly new here, so take what I offer with a grain of salt. Not selected, no SFAS, just experience with Army selection programs.

Rob Shaul of Mountain Athlete/Warrior Athlete has a good gasp of how to train a body for selection. Dig into his stuff if you can.

Build your core, and your back. Those muscles aren't there to look nice, they're there to re-enforce your spine when shit goes back. A strong gut and a strong back means your tender spinal column doesn't have to take much of any load.

Work with a shitty alice pack, and if they drop the MOLLE plastic garbage on you, you'll be ready.

Go into a selection as fat as you can handle. I use 5-10 lbs overweight, but whatever your APFT score can take, use. You'll lose it in a week or two.

Focus more on the runs. The most critical portion of making a runner want to quit is giving him no idea how long his run will last: train at 5 miles, be psychologically ready for 7+, and make 2 or less trivial. For the rucks, going on a stationary bike will work the same muscles as a ruck, albeit without the weight. Gradually increase your ruck to 60 lbs, and be sure to taper off before your actual selection date. Make a habit of recovering after efforts, meaning elevating feet while you sleep, and stretching after every event.

There's my BS advice. From what I hear, SFAS is 90% dealing with people who don't belong there, 5% gut, and 5% personal ability. Ensure you only worry about that 90%.
wethewilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 22:38   #311
wethewilling
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcox09 View Post
Oh. And a method of training I use is "Single Movement Mind Fuck/Single Movement Mind Conditoning", which is doing a single horrible workout over, and over, and over again until your mind is driving your body to work harder.

Examples:
Burpee-Broadjumps (Burpee, then leap) around a track for 1200m.
Tire Flips.
Burpee-pullups.

My training philosophy is to bring hell home to the point where it's trivialized, and to torture yourself physically/mentally to the point where few cadre would be able to do worse to you than you do to yourself.
wethewilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 15:13   #312
Bortz
SF Candidate

Foot care

deleted

Last edited by Bortz; 08-17-2013 at 13:18.
Bortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 19:55   #313
Agmundr
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bortz View Post
Agmundr,...
I was just selected (class 9-13) I saw a similar article about shaving and decided to try it. Some of the guys at selection def used the get selected method and it worked for some, but I also saw some feet that were so tore up I didn't think they would make the trek. I used a combination of the pedi-egg (looks like a cheese grater) a normal pumas stone after Epsom salt soaks and just some basic foot lotion twice a day. Also at SFAS I lathered my feet with Vaseline at night and slept in socks, didn't have one blister.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

As an update to my training, as of Monday I'm changing over to using the Military Athlete Operator Sessions and 8 weeks out will begin their Ruck Based Selection program. I've read an abundance of great things about both training methods and am looking forward to thoroughly having my rear handed to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 22:20   #314
Cass
Asset

Some reading I've done, includes:
Five Years to Freedom - James "Nick" Rowe
Training for Endurance - Philip Maffetone
From OSS to Green Berets - Col. Aaron Bank
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44   #315
sterinn
Asset

Running/Rucking-
I'm currently in the SORB Selected program with their scheduled distances/times and am out 5 days each week.
http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/Text/SELECTED_EBOOK.pdf

Running endurance building short format:
3 miles(increasing one mile every 3 weeks w/ 6 mile max) @ up to 7.5mph paces
once per week.

400m x 4 sprints w/200-400m light run between
once per week.

2 miles at best speed/effort (Average 14:10)
once per week

Utilizing the SORB program my short term goal is 13:30 average on my best effort 2 mile runs.

I've been running the SORB 2 mile prescription @ my best speed weekly. Averaging 14:10.
Each week I'm shooting to beat my 13:45 best and I haven't yet done that- I'm looking closely at my running data, diet, time of day/temp, etc- but I am putting out my best every time and I haven't quite found the formula..

Rucking each week-

Ruck 1 hour (I've been averaging 4min miles)

Ruck a prescribed distance @ 4min miles or less.
(6 miles progressing to 15 over the course of the program)

Strength-3 Days a week I do the suggested Strength workout. If the program suggest 3-4 sets I do 4, I stick to the rest times, and I substitute the sandbag for a kettle ball or weighted bar because I don't have a sandbag right now. At first, looking at the strength workout on paper it looked like it was a lighter duty program and I didn't believe I would get much out of it. I was wrong, it's a lot tougher especially because I have never been disciplined enough to stick to 30 or 60 second rest periods between sets.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Also included in the SORB program is information on Hydration Management which I'm measuring and applying.

Also I've been caring for my feet using their suggested method of foot file/lotion. I've had one sizeable blister on one foot which I had to take care of by cutting it open so that I could walk. Since that time (2 weeks ago) the blister spot of dead skin is gone and it's mostly healed around the edges. I haven't let the blister stop my speed/distances which probably has kept it from healing faster but I've since been very mindful of the socks I wear and am very conscious to take care of my feet 2x a day. Although it has been noticeable and sometimes uncomfortable especially when it was fresh, it's getting better and I think this foot program works for me.

For reading material I'm currently on "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.
I've read Get SELECTED and continually read everything online I can find on the same subject and I also read the ever loving crap out of these forums.

Any advice is welcome and will be very appreciated but that's what I'm currently doing as I'm waiting to hear back from MEPS for my REP63.

Last edited by sterinn; 09-02-2013 at 12:33. Reason: Updating, simplifying, and including new data/info.
sterinn is offline   Reply With Quote