Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 07-03-2004, 22:03   #1
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

History Help Needed, McNamara!

I graduated high school in 1973. This means I knew very little about what was happening in Vietnam because my only source of information was broadcast television. I just finished reading two great books by Major John Plaster about SOG that gave me a better background about the war, in the opening pages, than 10 years of television. You guys also know I have the world of respect for those who served in that country. This evening I watched a kind of documentary called "Fog of War" featuring Robert McNamara. I can't reconcile what he says compared to Major John Plaster. When in doubt I go with the man on the ground. Can anyone help me with Mr. McNamaras role in Vietnam? Thanks, Bill

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 07-03-2004 at 22:15.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 22:37   #2
Bill Harsey

Any information would be both respected and appreciated, especially from the FOGs who served there. I'll take it off the record if that's easier.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:33   #3
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

History Help Needed, McNamara!

Bill, Does the EDSEL atomobile ring a bell?? Mac believed everything could be done with numbers.
If you made 10 blades and none passed the test XXXX,if you made 10 blades and all passed the test XXXX.The man was hung up on percentages.

BMT
Jr. FOG
Old 07-04-2004, 07:18   #4
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

IMO one of the dreaded micro-managers. He cuffed Westmoreland and the JCS. He would not allow them to operate as they knew how. A big factor in screwing up our polocy in RVN.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:31   #5
Bill Harsey

Re: History Help Needed, McNamara!

Quote:
Originally posted by BMT
Bill, Does the EDSEL atomobile ring a bell?? Mac believed everything could be done with numbers.
If you made 10 blades and none passed the test XXXX,if you made 10 blades and all passed the test XXXX.The man was hung up on percentages.

BMT
Jr. FOG
In "Fog of War" McNamara was very proud of his use of statistical analysis. That raised serious red flags with me because I see that used badly all the time by industry to make terrible choices.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:40   #6
Bill Harsey

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
IMO one of the dreaded micro-managers. He cuffed Westmoreland and the JCS. He would not allow them to operate as they knew how. A big factor in screwing up our polocy in RVN.
Very interesting, he dwelled on many details about Vietnam but never once spoke of how much effort and material North Vietnam and China used against South Vietnam. I know some of the original SEALs who worked in the south, they say the same about not being allowed to operate as they knew.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:57   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Scientist trying to work in an art.

Its called the "Art of War" not the "Science of War" for a reason.

Of course i'm much too young to remember first hand.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:51   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Scientist trying to work in an art.

Its called the "Art of War" not the "Science of War" for a reason.

Of course i'm much too young to remember first hand.
I thought you were a Clausewitz fan, not Jomini?

McNamara was a self-serving tool and an arrogant ass, BTW.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:00   #9
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

Bill,

You may know of the F-111 fighter-bomber. McNamara's intent was to build a dual missions a/c for both the Navy and AF. The thought being that if you made 3 zillion copies of airframe x and applied some minor changes for both missions you could pass on the savings to the taxpayers, right?

The things was a boondoggel from the beginning in that AF and Navy needs are vastly different. landing gear, airframe, wiring, and a bunch of stuff I don't know about are all different.

So the F-111 was given to the AF who promptly rushed it into combat to prove it's worth. The terrain following/ avoidance radar sucked and IIRC 6 of 8 a/c in theatre crashed with the loss of the two crewmen on each a/c.

Just one example for you from a historical perspective.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 19:30   #10
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Bill:

A good book to read re the Vietnam war is "WE WERE SOLDIERS ONCE AND YOUNG" Hal Moore Jr LTG Ret, and Joe Galloway.

Macnamara was a pompous ass, who directly affected the outcome of the war.

His middle name is Strange, aptly named he was!

Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 19:42   #11
Bill Harsey

Thanks Terry,
Will do as advised. I just re-read my opening statement/question for this thread and still stand by it.

Just a footnote Terry, I got my first helo ride from a buddy who drove Cobras in Vietnam and then for some outfit who's initials are AA. He flies for a big timber comapny here now. I've spoken to him about checking out PS.com here. Maybe I need to twist his arm HARDER.

This same friend landed (unnamed large timber companies) helicopter in the lower pasture here one day to pick up some work I'd completed for him. Some dirtbag just down the road flushed all his stuff down the toilet because he thought it was a bust. I got that info from the sheriffs dept. a couple weeks later.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 01-25-2005 at 19:44. Reason: spellan'
Old 01-25-2005, 19:44   #12
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Bill:

You should read The Pentagon Papers.

RL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 19:50   #13
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
Thanks Terry,
Will do as advised. I just re-read my opening statement/question for this thread and still stand by it.

Just a footnote Terry, I got my first helo ride from a buddy who drove Cobras in Vietnam and then for some outfit who's initials are AA. He flies for a big timber comapny here now. I've spoken to him about checking out PS.com here. Maybe I need to twist his arm HARDER.

This same friend landed (unnamed large timber companies) helicopter in the lower pasture here on day to pick up some work I'd completed for him. Some dirtbag just down the road flushed all his stuff down the toilet because he thought it was a bust. I got that info from the sheriffs dept. a couple weeks later.
Bill:

Understand the AA!

That's funny as hell re the dirtbag down the road.

HELL IN A VERY SMALL PLACE, and STREET WITHOUT JOY, are two other books I would recommend re Vietnam, both were written by Bernard Fall, and relate a very good story of why the Phrench were driven out of Vietnam.

Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 20:05   #14
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Speaking of McNamara, does anyone remember Mcnamara's 100,000??

He proposed dropping the minimum standards (IQ wise), way down for approx 100,000 troops, which were to be assimililated into regular Army units. A piece of social engineering which was an abysmal failure!

Terry
Old 01-25-2005, 21:01   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET
Speaking of McNamara, does anyone remember Mcnamara's 100,000??

He proposed dropping the minimum standards (IQ wise), way down for approx 100,000 troops, which were to be assimililated into regular Army units. A piece of social engineering which was an abysmal failure!

Terry
I do. I had a Platoon Sergeant that was one of them. He was an E7 and couldn't read or write. I did his resume for him to work in the Forestry Service when he retired. Good guy though.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote