Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 07-26-2009, 19:53   #16
sitfly200
Quiet Professional

SEAL O's

As of this class and the last class we haven't had any out here, But I have been told there are QP slots to teach UW in California, I am not sure as to the truth to this.
sitfly200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 23:41   #17
NiteTrain
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Sounds like to me they are prepping to set up their own UW training.
Yep and MARSOC is attempting to get in on FID/UW as well. I was talking to some of the guys on chicken road and was told that some retired SF guys, whom have been contracted by MARSOC, called trying to get info on echo course dates and various other "Q" phase dates IOT help MARSOC in their attempt to become "SF like". How do you like those apples!
"When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern...This is the first and cardinal rule of combat...Suppress all human emotion and compassion...Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself...This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat...Once it is mastered...Thou shall fear no one...Though the devil himself may bar thy way..."
Kill Bill, Vol. 1, movie

"Some respect the badge, but all respect the gun"
Righteous Kill
NiteTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52   #18
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
You are right. But, you know, I at least expected them to display some pride in their branch of service, or their chosen profession and act like the best students out here. Honestly, their attitude was more like "this is a waste of my time ... we are better than this". Then again, they had issues carrying a heavy rucksack and operating without sleep for too long (which I found odd, considering the training they do back at their school house). Look, I felt that they all had the ability to do really great. They simply didn't care and did not show any regard for this course. Some displayed a certain air of superiority. I am hard pressed to imagine any of our guys ever doing something like that in another service course. If they ever did, and it became known to us, you know what would happen.

From my experience I've noted a lack of maturity in both the O side and senior NCO corps of the NavSpecWarCom folks. Not all but more than would be healthy for the community.

A "Too cool to train unless it's our training" and an overinflated sense of self that comes from believing everything they write about themselves.

This attitude, IMHO, is a direct contributor to the amount of casualties they take from Panama thru today they overextend, do not execute to opord, and just get their ass in a crack.

They are brave, physically fit, individually skilled in mos but tact/tech deficient in collective skills i.e. SUT like events, planning executing unless very straightforward.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:05   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTrain View Post
Yep and MARSOC is attempting to get in on FID/UW as well. I was talking to some of the guys on chicken road and was told that some retired SF guys, whom have been contracted by MARSOC, called trying to get info on echo course dates and various other "Q" phase dates IOT help MARSOC in their attempt to become "SF like". How do you like those apples!
Not sure why the class dates matter, SWCS was tasked to basically give MARSOC all of their POIs.

As I understand it, MARSOC structured their course with a lot less MOS phase time, giving commo guys a week or less of training on their gear. You can't get SF like that way.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12   #20
NiteTrain
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Not sure why the class dates matter, SWCS was tasked to basically give MARSOC all of their POIs.

As I understand it, MARSOC structured their course with a lot less MOS phase time, giving commo guys a week or less of training on their gear. You can't get SF like that way.

TR
I was told that as well but I see a storm brewing. Sounds like some reverse engineering going on.
"When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern...This is the first and cardinal rule of combat...Suppress all human emotion and compassion...Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself...This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat...Once it is mastered...Thou shall fear no one...Though the devil himself may bar thy way..."
Kill Bill, Vol. 1, movie

"Some respect the badge, but all respect the gun"
Righteous Kill
NiteTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19   #21
MARSOC0211
Auxiliary

ITC

I am not at the school house (MSOS), and the current info I have is from a few Marines who just completed the first iteration of ITC and are slated for my team.

Yes, MARSOC has tried to mirror the SF pipeline from RSAS to ITC. We have utilized the POIs from SWC as the baseline to begin from. From that baseline, many modifications have occurred IOT make it more “Marine-like”. Instead of having dedicated MOSs, (18B, 18C, etc.), they are trying to incorporate all facets in much shorter durations. The HHQ believes this concept will make a MARSOF operator a jack of all trades, though they seem to forget they will be the masters of none.

Honestly, if it was not a requirement by SOCOM to have an actual selection and training pipeline, the USMC would not do it at all. The brass has levied down to us that first and foremost, we are Marines and that is what we bring to SOCOM and no Marine is “special”….

As far as the conduct of FID / UW I don’t see us doing that for a long time….way too many are too focused on DA, DA, and more DA. I have seen guys get pissed when they get assigned to the SR team (and to think the 0321 MOS is a Reconnaissance Marine).

And for the record, No I do not agree with the way this is going nor do I agree with the thinking at the levels way beyond my pay grade...

Things are never as bad as they say they're going to be, until they are, then they're way f'n worse.

Last edited by MARSOC0211; 07-30-2009 at 11:21.
MARSOC0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22   #22
Draco771
BANNED USER

Quote:
Several Seal O's finished their stint at SUT and did not do well. Well, one did pretty good. The rest did not care about the training, did not listen to instructions from the cadre and essentially acted as if this training didn't really matter to them. It's a shame. I expected better from them. In fact, I expected to see the normal range of performance that you see in any group of trainees - some do well and some don't do as well. But, sadly, as a group, they really sucked. And, I guarantee that it was not because they are incapable. I'm sure that if they had really cared about the training here, they would have done great. But, they simply showed that they didn't care. I've seen international students do better. It really made me shake my head when I got the instructors' feed back yesterday.
Please, I mean no disrespect, please do not take this the wrong way.

But SUT is Small Unit Tactics correct?

SEAL Teams work in teams of 2, to teams of 16...

And a SEAL Officer didn't care about the training? WTF?!?! You mean an Officer is going to be in COMMAND of a SMALL UNIT and doesn't care if he knows WTF he's doing? Do SEAL Officers mentally contemplate the small fact that his men might actually have to depend on him to have their backs? Did those SEAL Officers mentally contemplate the fact they may actually be in situations where things that are covered in SUT may actually come into play?

What ever happened to the "Never Quit" attitude? The whole "Push your limits and do the best you can every opportunity you can" Mentality they get in BUD/S?

I've only spoken with two SEALs one on one throughout my entire life, and those are what they always went into whenever I asked them about the SEAL Training Pipeline. Their Officers have equal, if not greater responsibility to their men in knowing their stuff as an ODA Commander/WO.

No offense, but WTF???

Going back to the shadows.
Draco771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:31   #23
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco771 View Post
Please, I mean no disrespect, please do not take this the wrong way.

But SUT is Small Unit Tactics correct?

SEAL Teams work in teams of 2, to teams of 16...

And a SEAL Officer didn't care about the training? WTF?!?! You mean an Officer is going to be in COMMAND of a SMALL UNIT and doesn't care if he knows WTF he's doing? Do SEAL Officers mentally contemplate the small fact that his men might actually have to depend on him to have their backs? Did those SEAL Officers mentally contemplate the fact they may actually be in situations where things that are covered in SUT may actually come into play?

What ever happened to the "Never Quit" attitude? The whole "Push your limits and do the best you can every opportunity you can" Mentality they get in BUD/S?

I've only spoken with two SEALs one on one throughout my entire life, and those are what they always went into whenever I asked them about the SEAL Training Pipeline. Their Officers have equal, if not greater responsibility to their men in knowing their stuff as an ODA Commander/WO.

No offense, but WTF???

Going back to the shadows.
But, I'll like to add that I have worked with SEALs in the past. SEALs are warriors. I think part of the issue is that these officers were entry level frogs just out of the Naval Academy, or other comissioning source and recently graduated from BUD/S. In a way, it's like expecting 2nd Lieutenants to have the aggregate maturity to perform at the level we expect from our SF Candidate Captains (already 5 or 6 years in service). I'm not excusing them, but, it factors into it. I still feel they could have done better, and should have. But, to encourage this, it would be useful to have a Navy O3 liaison permanently as an instructor in Camp Mackall.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51   #24
Renegade
Asset

Quote:
Just got word that SEAL O's are going to attend the SUT phase; don't know when they will begin. But, I would imagine that the Ranger Course is the best venue for what they are trying to accomplish (more time available to learn the ground warfare skills that they need).
Basenshukai

Sir I attended Ranger School with class 5-98 and we had a couple of Seal Os with us then. When asked why they were there one of them said their commander wanted all of his Os to attend Ranger prior to them receiving their Trident.

One of them got caught in the now infamous Wal-mart scandal and was dropped from the course. The other was in my squad and pretty squared away.

Respectfully
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 13:40   #25
scooter
Quiet Professional

I've never heard of the Infamous Walmart Scandal....

What happened?
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:01   #26
18C4V
Quiet Professional

My Ranger School class had SEALS in it and all of them got recycled, but I digress....what's the scandal? RS always has funny stories.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00   #27
Renegade
Asset

Walmart Scandal

I'll tell you what I know. During Mountain Phase, I don't remember exact DTG, the RIs came into the barracks around 0130 to 0200. We immediately started a shake down.

The company commander came in and announced that 5 to 6 Ranger students had been seen at the local Wal Mart in Dahlonga. Evidently they had convinced a cab driver to pick them up and take them into town. One of them was the Seal I had mentioned earlier.

The rumor later was they walked into the Wal Mart with their black watch caps and BDUs. A couple of the employees thought they were being robbed and called 911.

They had us set up a GP Medium in the middle of the track and sleep in that for a fews days.

I was very happy when we left for Florida.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote