Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39   #1
Marvin Blank
Quiet Professional

SEAL O's in SAGE?

A buddy of mine who is finishing up the SEAL Q (post Buds, pre SUT) just informed me that his officers (SEAL officers typically finish a class behind the guys they went to BUDS with, due to a slightly longer training pipeline) are going to SAGE? He seemed prtty sure about it.....any of you guys dialed into SWC know anything about it? If it is true, will it be a shortened version, a la the foreign officers currently doing it? Or will it be a complete Robin Sage, from start to finish? Thanks.
"If any pale student glued to his desk here seek an apology for a way of life whose natural fruit is that pallid and emasculate scholarship, of which New England has had too many examples, it will be far better that this sketch had not been written. For the student there is, in its season, no better place than the saddle, and no better companion than the rifle or the oar." - Francis Parkman
Marvin Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:36   #2
Amato
Quiet Professional

I can only speak for when I went but we had SEAL O's observing when we attending meetings with the local leaders, during sage. They just stayed in the back round in civis.
Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:21   #3
peepee1
BANNED USER

I am currently in Delta company, starting SUT in 9 Feb. Myself along with aout 30 others were assigned to Sage detail as "Gs" and OPFOR. In my group, the two SEAL Os were attached with us (They were Gs along with us). Navy Spec Warfare Center is dabbling in different things with their Os to push their ground training along... In my opinion, being Gs wasnt the place for that but they did get a chance to see how things go. They were good dudes and played the game but more than likely they wont be coming back.... at least in the role as a G. They were integrated into some mission planning roles and also led several raids with the assistance of SWC students/ AKA Americans. Their Lt Commander hung out nearby in a SAFE House and checked in periodically to observe and gain some insight as well. These two individuals were strictly an experimentation. HTH. PP

Oh yeah... NSWC is also contemplating sending some enlisted dudes in their pipeline to SUT/CST.

Last edited by peepee1; 01-24-2009 at 02:24.
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:12   #4
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Just got word that SEAL O's are going to attend the SUT phase; don't know when they will begin. But, I would imagine that the Ranger Course is the best venue for what they are trying to accomplish (more time available to learn the ground warfare skills that they need).
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54   #5
peepee1
BANNED USER

They did say that they realize they are light years behind SF in that realm and NSWC is trying to remedy this. Makes sense.
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:53   #6
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Update on Seals in SFQC

Several Seal O's finished their stint at SUT and did not do well. Well, one did pretty good. The rest did not care about the training, did not listen to instructions from the cadre and essentially acted as if this training didn't really matter to them. It's a shame. I expected better from them. In fact, I expected to see the normal range of performance that you see in any group of trainees - some do well and some don't do as well. But, sadly, as a group, they really sucked. And, I guarantee that it was not because they are incapable. I'm sure that if they had really cared about the training here, they would have done great. But, they simply showed that they didn't care. I've seen international students do better. It really made me shake my head when I got the instructors' feed back yesterday.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:35   #7
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
Several Seal O's finished their stint at SUT and did not do well. Well, one did pretty good. The rest did not care about the training, did not listen to instructions from the cadre and essentially acted as if this training didn't really matter to them. It's a shame. I expected better from them. In fact, I expected to see the normal range of performance that you see in any group of trainees - some do well and some don't do as well. But, sadly, as a group, they really sucked. And, I guarantee that it was not because they are incapable. I'm sure that if they had really cared about the training here, they would have done great. But, they simply showed that they didn't care. I've seen international students do better. It really made me shake my head when I got the instructors' feed back yesterday.
Sounds like great feedback for their CoC.

If this is an indicator the training is not of any use to then then why waste everybody's time going forward.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:48   #8
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Sounds like great feedback for their CoC.

If this is an indicator the training is not of any use to then then why waste everybody's time going forward.
You are right. But, you know, I at least expected them to display some pride in their branch of service, or their chosen profession and act like the best students out here. Honestly, their attitude was more like "this is a waste of my time ... we are better than this". Then again, they had issues carrying a heavy rucksack and operating without sleep for too long (which I found odd, considering the training they do back at their school house). Look, I felt that they all had the ability to do really great. They simply didn't care and did not show any regard for this course. Some displayed a certain air of superiority. I am hard pressed to imagine any of our guys ever doing something like that in another service course. If they ever did, and it became known to us, you know what would happen.
Old 03-06-2009, 15:33   #9
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You are right. But, you know, I at least expected them to display some pride in their branch of service, or their chosen profession and act like the best students out here.
Absolutely. I guess those particular tasks were too hard. I'm sure they display similar attitudes back where they came from.

I would not want to make a habit of having those types of individuals around our students, unless of coure, they could serve as an object lesson for the rest as to how NOT to be.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33   #10
The Old Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Just got word that SEAL O's are going to attend the SUT phase; don't know when they will begin. But, I would imagine that the Ranger Course is the best venue for what they are trying to accomplish (more time available to learn the ground warfare skills that they need).
Ranger school is saved for mid-grade NCOs having problems (mostly discipline) on the teams. It is kind of a gut check thing for them, how bad do you wish to be here.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity - even under the most difficult circumstances - to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Victor E. Frankl
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01   #11
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Not to berate them...much, but that sounds oh so typical of them. Every time I've had the "pleasure" of being around them, I was not overly impressed. To give them credit, I'm sure they're good at what they do, but IMHO, keep them off land.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59   #12
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

My personal experience is "keep them in the water!" Higher cognitive functions are immediately compromised whenever their gills get dry. Fortunately, they are easily entertained with weight sets and copious quantities of suntan oil. Taken one or two at a time, most are decent enough guys. Unfortunately whenever they have critical mass (three or more) a negative feedback cycle ensues and somebody is going to have to get them out of country and placate the Country Team. Then some ODA has to go in afterwards and rebuild years worth of rapport. Some of the AARs do make bestselling fiction though. Yes, I’m bashing our “sister service”. It comes from years of SF MAROPS and having “the powers that be” deliberately confusing matters by doing direct comparison of apples and oranges. They ain’t us and I don’t want their mission. Nor do I want to clean up the mess they leave whenever they try to do our FID/UW mission. I agree with Basenshukai, send them to Ranger School. Allowing them to attend our courses just encourages further inappropriate comparisons.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 13:13   #13
kwu
SF Candidate

i was in that SUT class and had a SEAL on my squad. he was open-minded and willing to learn, probably the best of the whole bunch. ironically they did not attend land nav week, which would have really benefited them. as ATL during squad evals, i asked my SEAL to be my backup pace count man. he declined based on the fact that they never did pace count in the woods, only having done it in the mountains!
and they also didn't like patrol bases much. my ensign always fell asleep on security
kwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 21:02   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Sounds like to me they are prepping to set up their own UW training.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 21:54   #15
180A
Quiet Professional

UW

All I can say is if the Seal command wants thier seamen in the fight and conducting UW, then they need to act accordingly. Everyone wants a piece of the SF pie now because it is the best thing going in the two wars. The Seals going to Sage need to learn UW, as well as all of our own guys.
180A is offline   Reply With Quote