Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 11-01-2010, 07:15   #31
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

Great posts. My only advice is a bit of experiance......

Finding myself in Africa, translating French to my ODA because our $150,000 a year translator was mis-translating what needed to happen...

That language stuff is REALLY important. It could mean the differance of clearing customs and getting your team arrested in a foreign country....yet another experiance.
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 17:40   #32
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

IMO, the DLI FSMs are pretty much the best you're going to find Open Source and they even have some lessons for your iPods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Finding myself in Africa, translating French...
Sir,

That shit they were a speakin' over yonder damn sure weren't no French I'd ever heerd!

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 00:39   #33
frostfire
Area Commander

indo tutoring/conversing

Gents, if you've been assigned indo and having a hard time (well, you suck, it's the easiest one ), wanting to learn more, preparing for OPI, looking to get your essay proofread and so on, feel free to PM me. I also got resources ie. Ranger handbook , bible in indo etc.

I'm DLPT 3+/3+ and can converse as well as a native. I've been getting language pay, and trying to volunteer at the language school to earn my pay somewhat.

I'd be honored to aid your language training in any way I can

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 13:14   #34
Koinonia
SF Candidate

Hebrew Language Training

Has Hebrew ever been taught in language training in the Q course?
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 21:33   #35
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKay View Post
Has Hebrew ever been taught in language training in the Q course?
It's hard enough getting resources to teach useful/relevant languages. We aren't fighting a war with Israel; in fact, they're allies and the educated Israelis I've met all spoke English.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50   #36
Mike792
Quiet Professional

RHB and FM7-8

Does anyone happen to have these two in Spanish? Electronic copies? Thanks

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08   #37
Masochist
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike792 View Post
Does anyone happen to have these two in Spanish? Electronic copies? Thanks
PM inbound.

If you have AKO access, SOFLO has various manuals in a plethora of languages.

Anyone interested, PM me if you'd like the direct link.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 18:12   #38
paeron24
Asset

Lightbulb Translation of training materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
PM inbound.

If you have AKO access, SOFLO has various manuals in a plethora of languages.

Anyone interested, PM me if you'd like the direct link.
Also, I currently work at the language course so if somebody needs a manual or a POI translated over to whatever language, shoot me a PM and I can probably help out.
paeron24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 13:46   #39
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

To add to this Thread..Re Arabic.

Gents, I have come across this youtube page for any one studying Arabic.

There is various programs on from various Arabic countries, from politics to music. There is no subtitles so I think you try to pick up words that you know.. I do anyway

http://www.youtube.com/user/4ShbabTV.../l/4vakUvhgZxM
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 18:23   #40
DevilSide
Guerrilla

http://www.lexilogos.com/english/arabic_dictionary.htm

Arabic dictionary, looks like its a good resource no matter what the dialect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAXVCAmfrdE

youtube is also a good reference for learning, not limited to music and watching people fail

http://www.spanishdict.com

for spanish i use this ^^, trying to perfect my language skill.
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 16:42   #41
czs21
Asset

All,

Among the many other resources listed in this thread and on this site for language learning, the following may be useful.

http://hs2.lingnet.org/

The link above takes the web surfer to a program from the DLIFLC(Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center). The program comes in 17 languages and is an amazing asset in starting, refreshing, and sharpening language skills. Perhaps one of the most useful pieces of the units is the military vocabulary that is included in the training. Your average language resource or class will not teach you how to march in French or ask where the tanks are in Russian.

I hope someone finds this as useful as I did.

Have a good'un.
Old 02-29-2012, 21:03   #42
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

CORE Langauge

FYI - Heard today from HRC that whatever langauge is your core language. I.E.: Your left SWC with SERBO/CROAT or FRENCH and now your group has you learning RUSSIAN or DARI. We even if you score 2/2 on your OPI or DLPT. Big Mother Army wants her Toys back. You are not to get paid for your Groups langauge if you have a different langauge you "SHOULD NOT" get paid. If you are getting paid you may have to pay back that money.

So if your Group send you to a GCLP Language Course, get your S1 to change your CORE language to that NEW language. This will "FIX" the problem.

Your Group Language Center and Bn S1 most likely does not know this.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:15   #43
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
FYI - Heard today from HRC that whatever langauge is your core language. I.E.: Your left SWC with SERBO/CROAT or FRENCH and now your group has you learning RUSSIAN or DARI. We even if you score 2/2 on your OPI or DLPT. Big Mother Army wants her Toys back. You are not to get paid for your Groups langauge if you have a different langauge you "SHOULD NOT" get paid. If you are getting paid you may have to pay back that money.

So if your Group send you to a GCLP Language Course, get your S1 to change your CORE language to that NEW language. This will "FIX" the problem.

Sounds like it should be an easy fix, as long as everyone gets made aware of it. I don't think that anyone is trying to screw us, its probably just an unintended consequence.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 21:20   #44
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post

MG is absolutely right. Make sure your ORB/ERB reflects the language you are testing in. All of the SFG(A) S1s have FAILED to take care of their Soldiers when it comes to Language (and a lot of the other pays too). There's a new Command Language Policy coming. It looks now like it will be released just before or ICW the upcoming Commander's Conference (03-05 Apr 12). Language is a VERY hot topic right now.

Sidenote - don't waste time learning any language that is not already designated for your SFG(A). You will not be given any resources to maintain it. That will most likely include pay. E.G. - If you go to 19th SFG(A) and want to learn Spanish and French "because they're easy" be prepared for disappointment.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09   #45
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

19th group languages

FWIW- unless the Group Commander was mistaken, he recently briefed us that French is one of 5/19's target languages.

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote