Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 09-18-2009, 07:21   #16
ld08
Asset

I just read an article in the university newspaper about a new method for learning languages, with a website called livemocha.com . They have online classes, from a brief glance, which resemble the rosetta stone software pretty closely. Its free which is the best part, and there is a social networking aspect that allows you to use people who speak the language fluently as sort of a mentor. Here is the attached article, see what you think..

http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/...ners-1.1881237
Old 09-21-2009, 13:42   #17
systaltic
SF Candidate

If that doesn't help... do your homework and go to every tutoring session. If I got through Korean, anyone can pass language training.

-NousDefionsDoc (on training the mind)
systaltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 22:51   #18
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by systaltic View Post
If that doesn't help... do your homework and go to every tutoring session. If I got through KOREAN, anyone can pass language training.
systaltic,

Never reveal the language you've learn.......... See the reason below........

Detweiler is learning a language which, for security reasons, cannot be revealed. “If people knew what language Derek is learning, they might have some idea of where he will be sent,” Mrs. Detweiler explained.

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:16   #19
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

BUMP

Here is a resource to take in your ruck - it is a way of learning a language (and a bit of culture). Called the LAMP method it was developed to teach people how to learn a language on their own without a teacher while in a foreign country. Great book used by a lot of missionaries to learn unwritten languages.

L.A.M.P. Language Acquisition Made Pratical ISBN 0-916636-00-3 by Brewster.

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31   #20
SidewalkOfDoom
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defend View Post
I'm curious if any of the BTDTs can speak regarding to the efficiency of Amia vs. Fusha in an operational environment.

From my personal interactions in the Middle East, speaking Fusha is a) automatically perceived to be political (/formal) b) not conducive to relaxed conversation.

When I use Amia on the streets, even when not dialect specific (for example in the conjugations using أتكلم, لا أعرف vs ما بعرف ,بتكلم) barriers come down and the questions shift from leading questions (sometimes outright accusations) and negative political statements, moving to questions about my family and generally friendly relations.

Unfortunately the obvious downside is when you get into the dialect specific words and phrases and it turns out you're talking to somebody from another region. Why can't all ME countries just have one language again?
You should try speaking to North Africans, even native Arabic speakers (from Egypt to the Gulf) can't understand their dialects.

What I did was first learn Modern Standard Arabic with this beast of a grammar book: http://www.amazon.com/Reference-Gram...6010315&sr=8-1 and a Teach Yourself Arabic book and CDs. I wanted to speak MSA extremely well so I even learned how to use the grammatical cases and all 12 pronouns that most Arabs don't even know how to use. The grammatical cases are the -u(n), -i(n), or a(n) at the end of words.

After I became comfortable with MSA I started to learn Gulf Arabic, which I've heard is the dialect most similar to MSA. You should still be learning MSA while also learning Gulf.

Hopefully after I get comfortable with Gulf Arabic I'll start learning Egyptian Arabic which is without a doubt the most widely understood dialect.

I also have heard from people who studied abroad that speaking MSA will get you funny looks, but I've never heard of them being rude or overly suspicious of them. They also went to Amman and Cairo if that makes any difference.
SidewalkOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:32   #21
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

Anyone using commercial based programs like Rosetta Stone?

I'm considering getting this program.
Irish_Army01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Army01 View Post

How many hits do you think you get if you search for Rosetta Stone here?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:07   #23
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
How many hits do you think you get if you search for Rosetta Stone here?

TR
My Bad.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26   #24
SidewalkOfDoom
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Army01 View Post

I would only get it as a supplement to a textbook. Rosetta doesn't teach you grammar, which is a major aspect of any language.
SidewalkOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 16:47   #25
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkOfDoom View Post
I would only get it as a supplement to a textbook. Rosetta doesn't teach you grammar, which is a major aspect of any language.
Roger that.. Thank you.
Old 06-10-2010, 20:06   #26
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkOfDoom View Post
There's a difference between language and language arts. Grammar is language arts. Being able to point to a direct object or knowing the difference between the subjunctive, accusative, genitive, and dative cases have little to do with communication, IMO.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ

Last edited by Green Light; 06-12-2010 at 11:35.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:10   #27
dividebyzero
Asset

For Arabic language learners, I'd recommend these two resources:

http://arabic.desert-sky.net
Lots of grammar, vocabulary, idioms, and other helpful resources for learers of Fusha and ECA (Egyptian Colloquial Arabic.) I've been using this site to make up flashcards, and it's been extremely helpful.

http://al3arabiya.blogspot.com/
This site also contains a lot of resources, including pdf copies of many of the textbooks listed earlier in this thread. This also contains a variety of dialects, including Fusha, ECA, Levantine, and Maghrebi Arabic.

I hope others find this useful. It's certainly been helpful for me.
dividebyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 20:32   #28
brokenvan
Quiet Professional

One of the best ways I have found to learn new vocabulary and terminology is to read the news. I use the BBC site. They have the news in 32 different languages, and at the same time gives news from that region or country. Definitely one of the better ways I've found to see how the language is actually used.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/languages/index.shtml

Last edited by brokenvan; 06-12-2010 at 20:35.
brokenvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 19:07   #29
Nightfall
Guerrilla

If I may be so bold as to offer yet another resource...

In my experiences in Central America, I tried books, crappy tapes and so on. I finally found this set of tapes which helped me recall better than any of the others I had come across:

http://www.pimsleurdirect.com/

It essentailly trains you on typical conversations that may be had so that in the end you think in the language instead of trying to recall specific words. It helped me build a vocabulary quickly and more of an understanding than my basic textbooks or other programs. It will not prepare you for the various dialects or accents you will encounter, but it will definately help you build a foundation by listening to native speakers and being able to break down what they are saying. Kind of pricey, but well worth it and they have a myriad of languages to choose from. It was really quite helpful to me, so I thought I would share.
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:24   #30
kawika
Auxiliary

If your already around at least a 1+ reading level installing the google toolbar helps. Any webpage you go to in a foreign language it can instantly translate back and forth. Even more helpful is that a simple mouseover over and non english word and you get a tooltip that gives you all the dictonary definitions for the world you are looking for. Just using this and BBC will get you over the 2 hump and for easier languages such as Spanish much farther.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote