Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 06-17-2008, 06:01   #1
weeman
SF Candidate

No reclassifications to another MOS

Thought I would share the newest policy from Gen. Parker. There will be no reclassification to another MOS if you fail out. This is to include 18D no matter how far you have made it in the medical course to include all the way to SARR and pass your second rotation.

Obviousley, since I am writing this thread I don't agree with the new policy. I am in SFMS have watched all the guys I started with graduate and head off to teams. I'm not complaining about doing a year long MOS the only thing I don't understand is how I couldn't be an asset to a team if I have made it so far in the medical portion fail out academically and then sent to 82nd or civil affairs after completing SFAS, SUT, SERE, 1st block of language, and SOCM. Maybe someone can help me explain the reasoning behind this new policy and help me grow as an SF candidate.
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:29   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

That has been the policy several times before, and has changed.

In three days, that will no longer be MG Parker's decision.

Who knows what else MG Csrnko will change?

Are you planning to fail?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 17:12   #3
weeman
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
That has been the policy several times before, and has changed.

Are you planning to fail?

TR
Absolutely not, I have invested too much time to go back and be a babysitter for some 18 year old kid who doesn't know how to keep his room clean or wash his clothes.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:44   #4
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Parker was a tool as a Maj and LTC. I have no expectations he would change as a GO...... Drive on in your training and as TR said all can change in a day or two. The new CG of the school is a good commander. Good Luck.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeman View Post
Absolutely not, I have invested too much time to go back and be a babysitter for some 18 year old kid who doesn't know how to keep his room clean or wash his clothes.
What if you're put in charge of a platoon of Iraqis or Afghans that don't keep their rooms clean or wash their clothes? Have you invested too much time and effort to be "stuck" with them?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41   #6
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
What if you're put in charge of a platoon of Iraqis or Afghans that don't keep their rooms clean or wash their clothes? Have you invested too much time and effort to be "stuck" with them?
DOH!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 19:35   #7
weeman
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I guess this is what I'll get....the worlds smallest violin while I teach them about personal hygiene and preventive medicine measures.

Last edited by weeman; 06-18-2008 at 19:53.
Old 06-18-2008, 21:41   #8
Razor
Quiet Professional

Nothing personal; that was just a small azimuth check for all of you great Americans stepping up to become SF. Past all the cool training and inevitable feelings of invincibility, don't forget your bread and butter job of being a force multiplier--By, With, Through.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 21:49   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Brother, you are a genius...nice mentoring.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 13:24   #10
TFtim
SF Candidate

Quote:
The new CG of the school is a good commander. Good Luck.
That's good to hear. Everybody here at school seems stoked about the change.
TFtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 23:20   #11
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Parker will be missed like a cold sore.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35   #12
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thought I would share the newest policy from Gen. Parker. There will be no reclassification to another MOS if you fail out.
As far as I am concerned this is the only GOOD thing I have heard of him implementing. Personally, I am tired of the three and four time mouth breathing re-treads that get recycled through till they finally find a MOS that they are mediocre at. A SFQC Grad should be more than a warm body with a MOS attached to it.

If your looking for someone to rub your belly and tell you it will be o.k., you need to quit now and join the Peace Corp.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 06-23-2008 at 08:49.
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 13:44   #13
uboat509
Quiet Professional

As I understand it, this policy was implemented because guys who had involuntarily been changed from another MOS (typically B or C) to D were intentionally failing in order to go back to their original MOS. The problem is that I am not sure that the problem was as widespread as the command believed and in any case, just because a guy does not have the aptitude to be a D does not mean he would not be a good B or C. This is a problem is SWCS. I had a guy in my class, for instance, who was selected as a C, attended CLT and SUT as a C and then three days prior to the start of the D course was told that he would now be a C. He is still in the course but he is struggling. I think that he would be a good B or C but they needed bodies to fill D slots and he (and many others) got pulled at the last minute to fill those slots. That's not good business to begin with but to then tell these kids that if they don't have the aptitude to be a D then they can't be SF is just wrong.

In any case where was this involuntary 18D thing when I went through the course? Instead of being an 18C re-classing to 18D now I could already be an 18D, dangit.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 16:06   #14
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

So, I guess back when it was just phase 2 (MOS) and then phase 1&3, all the guys that failed out due to the inability to pass land nav, were cheated out of their right to be in SF also? Where does this sense of entitlement come from, and where does it end?

I guess I'm tired of hearing the mantra "since I passed selection, I'm as good as graduated and deserve to" and somehow view the Q course as obstacle to their "entitlement", not as a requirement for being in SF.

Life isn't always fair and when one reports in to the Q course, I do not believe you sign a contract saying you will only train for this MOS. Believe it or not SWCS has to provide Soldiers trained in the MOS needed by the force, not one's personal desire, (you know, one that they feel they can pass). Does SWCS always get it right, of course not, does anyone always get it right, of course not (why else would prior medics get slotted into the Bravo course).

You know how many guys I have heard say that they would have been a great asset to SF; well if they could have just done that one little thing called pass the course they were given.

Maybe Gen. Csrnko will re-establish some of the pre-requisite standards (GT for one) and support the NCOs at the course by allowing them to kick out the garbage early that slipped through, instead of giving them every opportunity to have a Green Beret handed to them.

It seemed that Parkers mantra of "your Tm Sgt will teach you", also meant reteach their MOS after arriving at Grp.

I guess I'm not sensitive enough to the needs of these "kids"; but then again I have had a few of these special "kids" (that someone was sensitive to their need to be in SF) and it made my life as a Tm Sgt and for the rest of the team hell. Yes, the ones that started as D, then when to E then to B.

Hence this statement;
"Personally, I am tired of the three and four time mouth breathing re-treads that get recycled through till they finally find a MOS that they are mediocre at. A SFQC Grad should be more than a warm body with a MOS attached to it."

Last edited by rudelsg2; 06-24-2008 at 16:54. Reason: damn smiley faces would not work
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 16:12   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I guess this is what I'll get....the worlds smallest violin while I teach them about personal hygiene and preventive medicine measures.
It's all about "Hearts and minds", next you'll be teaching the same sorts of individuals to follow you through the gates of hell.