Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58   #1
doc22584
Quiet Professional

swim class in phase II

When i took the swim test in selection i didnt make it the whole 50 meters. After i got seleceted i asked the SFAS cadre about it and he said they give a swim class during phase II. I've been taking lessons here on my homestation to get ready for the test, but if they are giving a swim class id like to those also, I know you have to pass the swim test to go to the next phase so id like to take full advantage of any classes they would give.

thanks in advance.
doc22584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 13:36   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

doc22584,

You need to become a fish in the water before you attend SFAS or even think about joining Special Forces.

Those three lighting bolts on our patch stand for "Land Sea and Air". So you’ve got a one in three chance of being assigned to a Scuba or water team.

I've know a few SF soldiers that have died from drowning while on active duty. You need to be an animal in the water. If you are a weak swimmer you need to become a strong swimmer. (else john kerry might have to rescue you and I’d sure hate to have that hanging over my head for decades)

The only thing more fun than swimming across Drowning Creek in the dead of winter is first breaking the ice in order to swim it. Ever wonder why they named it "Drowning Creek"?

Become an animal in the water, you want to be the rescuer not the rescue-ee!

Go to your base pool and find a swim instructor.

Team Sergeant
Old 08-21-2006, 13:45   #3
skipjack
Auxiliary

I'm not sure about anyone else's experience but there was no swimming, besides getting artied and maybe some night crossings...lol, in phase II. Though they did make some changes to Phase II recently. We did take another swim test when arriving to Student Co. but some people asked about a swim class and no one knew what they were talking about. If you have time before you get to Student Co. then find a buddy that can swim very well and have him train you up in the water. Swimming is not hard, just technique, but it is important! Plus, I know a lot of ODA's for Sage are doing Water PT, while we wait to go to Sage. I can't speak for being on a Team yet, as I am not there (2 months left in the Q), so listen to TS on that one.

-skipjack
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 14:22   #4
doc22584
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
doc22584,

You need to become a fish in the water before you attend SFAS or even think about joining Special Forces.

Those three lighting bolts on our patch stand for "Land Sea and Air". So you’ve got a one in three chance of being assigned to a Scuba or water team.

I've know a few SF soldiers that have died from drowning while on active duty. You need to be an animal in the water. If you are a weak swimmer you need to become a strong swimmer. (else john kerry might have to rescue you and I’d sure hate to have that hanging over my head for decades)

The only thing more fun than swimming across Drowning Creek in the dead of winter is first breaking the ice in order to swim it. Ever wonder why they named it "Drowning Creek"?

Become an animal in the water, you want to be the rescuer not the rescue-ee!

Go to your base pool and find a swim instructor.

Team Sergeant
I can swim, but the cadre at SFAS told me i was a weak swimmer and that i would have to take the 2 week swim class. Im currently taking swim lessons right now.
Old 08-21-2006, 14:29   #5
doc22584
Quiet Professional

Team Sergeant,

I got my info from this website. http://www.soc.mil/swcs/Pipeline.shtml

Under the pre-req's they state that a 2 week class is offered just prior to the start of the Q. If you or anyone else knows if they still offer that class i would greatly appreciate some insight.
Old 08-21-2006, 15:48   #6
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Doc-
Listen to TS, there were more failures in my PrePhase (SFAS now) than anything else - over 40% due to swimming. ALL Teams swim, and work on water ops - train up now don't wait. Get in the pool, get in the lake, get in the ocean, get in the river - they all have their own personalities once you are in them at night dragging your ruck behind you. Tactical swimming is mostly core work - sidestroke, breaststroke, kicking with fins on your stomach and on your back- get very good, plus it is amazing exercise.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 16:16   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc22584
Team Sergeant,

I got my info from this website. http://www.soc.mil/swcs/Pipeline.shtml

Under the pre-req's they state that a 2 week class is offered just prior to the start of the Q. If you or anyone else knows if they still offer that class i would greatly appreciate some insight.
7. Pass a 50 meter swim with BDU's & boots (diagnostic given at SFAS, test upon arrival at SFQC): there is a 2-week swim course offered just prior to SFQC if one fails the diagnostic at SFAS...enlisted only (this 2-week prep course is not mandatory)

So let me get this straight, you're willing to bet/hope that this two week course will get you where you think you will need to be for the test given at SFQC? That's a mighty big wager. If the guys told you at SFAS you were a weak swimmer that was your wake up call. If you arrive again, weak, pray the same instructor is not giving the same test at SFQC.....

You need to forget that class and get to work on swimming now.

I cannot tell you if that is still being offered but the SFAS SGM might be able to..... (Someone want to give the SGM a shout? )

TS
Old 08-21-2006, 17:36   #8
doc22584
Quiet Professional

I went to a pool today and i did the 50 meter swim sucessfully. My reason for asking about the class is so i can get more pool time with a qualified instructor.
Old 08-21-2006, 22:24   #9
blustr18b
Auxiliary

Swimming

Mine used to get in the pool with his rucksack on and tread water...good old waterpolo practice!

blustr18b
blustr18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 22:42   #10
CoLawman
Area Commander

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc22584
I went to a pool today and i did the 50 meter swim sucessfully. My reason for asking about the class is so i can get more pool time with a qualified instructor.
Doc,

I am stepping a little out of my lane.......but, I do have some experience around water. The QP's have told you to swim. You do not need a swim instructor or coach. You are not working on your turns and starts. You are working on your endurance and muscle development.

How many accomplished runners waited around for a coach or instructor?

You are losing valuable time. 50 meters is not nearly enough to make you an accomplished swimmer. That is a minimum standard. Go to the pool, lake or river and swim. Nice slow pace for 30 minutes. rest as needed. When you can do a 30 minute swim without needing a rest..........you are ready.

My Credentials: My daugher was a 5 time All American and Team Captain on her College team. Her specialty was the mile. Her dad had her swimming lakes, rivers, and pools, without a stop watch or concern for technique at the formative stages.
CoLawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 16:24   #11
Prester John
Quiet Professional

I bet Mr. Harsey has a few tips on swimming.

We had very few guys fail the swim test in my track, and the ones who did went to the pool by themselves everyday (In addition to PT sessions) for the last few months to get better at swimming. They are all advnacing with us to Phase II.

I am no great swimmer (Read: not a competative swimmer) but I got out of the pool after the swim test and wasn't even breathing hard... I try to get into the pool to swim for an hour at least twice a week.

My $.02 FWIW...

Doug
Prester John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 20:37   #12
kailua99
Quiet Professional

Swim Test in Phase II

In the past, Student Company has provided swim training for weak swimmers before Phase II. I know that they give a must-pass test to all incoming Students, but I don't know if the lessons are still offered. I'll check and post the answer. I do know this - Drowning Creek is full and running strong right now. Knowing how to swim before you come to SFAS is a good thing (free advise to anyone coming to SFAS Class 8-06).
kailua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 21:27   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

You don't want to be a "weak" anything in SF.

When I was on a Strat Recon Team with Reaper, we also had small boat and scout swimming missions. If you have limitations on your infil method, you might not get to go. It would suck to be left behind because you were "weak". It would suck even more to drown or watch a Teammate drown.

If you are weak at something, it is your responsibility to get up to speed on it.

I was just wondering...How much of the earth's surface is covered by water?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27   #14
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Doc-

Another .02 to toss in the ring here. 50 m in a warm pool with lifeguards is a hell of a lot different than a 2 mi infil in freezing water, in a dry suit, dragging a ruck, and navigating. Falling out of an RB 15 in the middle of the night loaded for bear, even with a BC ain't something you want to do as a weak swimmer. Finding the one hole in waist high river and falling over 'cause your ruck is so heavy, calls for you and the 3 guys nearest you to be really good swimmers.

No lifeguards, no excuses, your life and your buddy's life depend on not only being a swimmer but a strong swimmer. Oh, at least when I was in, runs would be supplemented with "Lake Swims" for PT - run for a while, then swim across/around a lake - run some more, and swim a little more, then run back to the Team House.

Bud, swimming is in your job description, get good at it.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:38   #15
JLF
Asset

When Waterborne Operations goes bad.

Speaking of swimming,

Last night we did a RAMZ MFF with a two hour window to RV with a helo IOT FAC an underway transload and the friggin bottle was entangled with the chutes so bad that it almost took the whole two hours just to inflate the damn Zodiac.

We (5 man team) took turns keeping the package from sinking and diving down to cut the package free from its container. In the darkness of the night with a chemlight and all kinds of silk/suspension lines in the water on a breath hold it isn’t exactly a good time. You definitely need to be comfortable in the water to say the least and you won't be if you're not competent in the water (an early prerequisite is being a strong swimmer).

I’m not sure if you’ll do RAMZ in SF but I’m very sure SF does waterborne ops and being in the water at night trying to link up with a MH-53/MH-47 with all that rotor wash, and an unforgiving sea-state all the while trying to keep your teammates in close proximity (read: arms length separation) and trying to grab onto a rope ladder that’s moving away from you can be a little hairy.
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote