Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 02-12-2005, 16:45   #1
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

12 Feb 71...

...is an important date for me.

On this date 34 years ago, RT California, SOA, CCC, 5th SFGA, was on Day Three of a seven day mission. Our target designator was OSCAR-50. The area was in the Plei Trap Valley, close to the NE part of Cambodia.

That day, RT California consisted of 1-0 SSG Chuck Clayton, 1-1 SSG Galen L. Musselman (aka "Motorpool"), 1-3 CPT Bob Camors, and yours truly, 1-2 SGT Toby Todd. Four US Special Forces soldiers, plus 10 Montagnards, total of 14.

About 1030, we came upon an abandoned enemy camp that had recently been inhabited. We spent approximately 20-30 minutes gathering intelligence, taking intel photos, measuring depths of foxholes, etc. We then moved off a couple hundred meters to a small hilltop. Since it was close to time for lunch, we arranged ourselves in a defensive perimeter, and took turns eating our lunch. We wanted to record our recent finings on paper, as, to a man, we felt enemy contact was immenent.

I was situated so I could observe past the "tail gunner" section of RT California; i.e., over the shoulders of CPT Camors, who had an M-60 MG, and on of the 'Yard tail gunners, who had a CAR-15. They could observe down our back trail. All of a sudden, I saw the 'Yard's eyes get big as ashtrays and he opened up. I also observed Bob getting hit in the right arm. He began returning fire with his MG, yelling for us to "lay down a base of fire." I fired the B-40 rocket that was in my RPG-2 tube and tossed Bob one of my field dressings. It was on!!!!!

Everyone on RT California immediately started firing. I quickly reloaded and got off another round. "Sir Charles", which we later determined to be a heavily reinforced squad of hardcore NVA, was getting worked up as well, but I felt we were in control, until...

An enemy grenade or rocket (to this day we're still not sure) detonated in our midst. Chuck said:"Toby, you asshole was that you??" 'Tweren't me, as it got me, too. Everyone was hit, but we continued firing aggressively. The guys were throwing hand grenades, shooting, and calling S/C a bunch of sorry Mo-Fos.

I had fired four of my six rockets, and was loading the fifth into my tube when Chuck ordered a withdrawal off of the backside of the hilltop toward an extraction LZ that FAC was gonna lead us to. I think the Covey Rider was Larry "Six Pack" White, but CRS. As we were withdrawing from the battle scene, Chuck and Bob noticed an enemy soldier in a khaki uniform coming towards us, and they stitched him.

We encountered no further resistence on our march to the extract LZ, and were extracted by ladder without incident. WE RTB'd back to Kontum, where Chuck, Bob, and I were treated and then medevaced to the General Hospital in Pleiku for more definitve care.

We stayed a week, and then Chuck and Bob were further medevaced to Quin Nhon. I hooked up with a convoy heading back to Kontum. Chuck and Bob returned a couple of days later, and we once again reassembled RT California.

Chuck, Bob, and I have stayed in contact over the years. I lost track of MTP in the early 80s, about the time 1st SFGA was re-activated. Recently I have had telephone conversations with him, so I can now say that the USSF on RT California that day, are still alive and kicking.

Not so our valiant 'Yards. Our point man, Ngron, was killed on my first mission, Sep 70. And Wit (pronounced "Weet") died on 21 Dec 2001, in Kirkland, WA.

It was a great day in our lives, because in spite of our wounds, we survived because of strenuous training, and because we believed in each other, and our courageous 'Yards. I'm extremely proud to have been a part of RT California, Special Forces, and the US Army.

Toby Todd
1-2
RT California

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California

Last edited by TerribleTobyt; 02-12-2005 at 16:50.
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 16:52   #2
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Great read, Toby!

Thanks for posting.

Terry
Old 02-12-2005, 17:01   #3
Gypsy
Area Commander

Another excellent read, thank you TerribleTobyt.
Old 02-12-2005, 17:26   #4
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

GREAT thread. Thanks for posting it.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:10   #5
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Honestly, this is the type of story I like to read.

Tho' it doesn't sound like much, I'd like to say "thank you," Toby, for sharing your memories and experiences. It's a healthy thing for you to do and as for those of us who weren't there, we won't know unless the story is told. The story, I believe, needs to be told. It must be told because it cannot and should not ever be forgotten. And that's the honest to God truth.

Jennifer sends
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:31   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Outstanding AAR Toby. Thank you.

PS - No pics?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 20:30   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Thanks Toby. That was great.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 21:54   #8
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Thanx Jen and guys-

Jennifer is absolutely correct. Guys like me, Martin, the other Soggies and A-Team guys have stories to tell, and we gotta tell 'em now. Time is getting short.

It took 10 + years for all of OUR stuff to be declassified after the hostilities were over. I suspect much the same will happen with our present day WARRIORS.

Jen is right on another count, as well. It IS very therapeutic for me to come to a place like this, where even tho y'all weren't there, you unnerstan!!!

I thank YOU ALL for allowing me to tell somma my stories!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 22:37   #9
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Toby,

Great Story!
I always had a lot of respect for SGM Musselman, and now I know why. (Think someday we can talk him onto the board????)

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:42   #10
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
PS - No pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyT
"Pics, y'all want pics??

Chuck Clayton, CPT Bob Camors, Me and MTP, and yours truly!!!

Toby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 net format chuckrpg2.jpg (89.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 2 net copy cptbob.jpg (73.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 3 net copy mtp&toby.jpg (125.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 4 net copy tobyrpg2.jpg (116.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-14-2005, 07:43   #11
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby T
"RT California at SOAR.

"1st pic shows Toby, Bob Camors, Mike Vermillion and John Plaster.

2nd pic shows Ralph Rodd, RT Wyoming, Toby and Chuck."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 net copy rtcacurrent1.jpg (90.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2 net copy rtcacurrent2.jpg (87.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22   #12
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
Now that's the Musselman I knew and served with. in FOB-2 and Lop Buri.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:23   #13
Sigi
BANNED USER

Outstanding story. Thank you very much for sharing.
Sigi is offline   Reply With Quote