Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Qualification Course

Old 06-29-2007, 12:50   #1
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Are Prior Service Personnel eligible for 18x/REP 63?

When I contacted a Recruiter thru GoArmy.com they said this wouldn’t be a problem getting into this MOS as prior service but this completely contradicts what the QP’s have posted in all the threads.

I have been searching thru the threads and keep seeing that 18x/REP 63 is only offered to initial entry soldiers. Do you know of any sort of waiver or exception to policy for someone that has ETS and is looking to joining the active army under the 18x pipeline?

Can anyone please guide me to a black and white answer so I know what my 25 meter target is?
Old 06-29-2007, 13:09   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

18X contracts have been given to PS candidates before. In fact, there is at least one member on this board who was a PS 18X candidate. There were (2) 18D students in the class behind me who were PS as well; they were 18X's.

Find a recruiter where you live and ask him to show you the regulation stating PS are ineligible... If he cant then you have your answer...

HTH some,

Crip sends...

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 13:25   #3
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Thank you for that info. My current duty station has a bunch of folks that just shrug shoulders and keep referring me to another recruiter. 25m target is finishing my deployment and ETS. Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2007, 13:31   #4
Dirt Gallo
Asset

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=11561

I know this is from a couple of years ago, but, to the best of my knowledge, this hasn't changed. Ask them to search through their USAREC memos in for 18x info and show them this.

Educate them. Show them that it's beneficial to be literate and determined

" Thank God for my bunny. He was a good friend for a while. We kept each other warm. Then I killed him and ate him. " ~ magician
Dirt Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 13:44   #5
Fiercely Loyal
Guerrilla

Thank you very much. This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. You have helped me immensely. Thank you again.
Fiercely Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 23:39   #6
Basschild
Asset

Just got done with signing a new contact and I was going to get a 18x but I didn't have a enough collage credits to qualify (I have a HSED, because I was very stupid and dropped out as a teenager and so I needed collage). But yes PS are able to get 18x contracts.
Basschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44   #7
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Ton of p/s 18X guys here in the Q. Almost all the NG guys here are p/s of one branch or another.

x/S
exsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:04   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid
Ton of p/s 18X guys here in the Q. Almost all the NG guys here are p/s of one branch or another.

x/S
For clarification, prior service NG soldiers coming to the SFQC are not REP-63's. REP-63's are NPS enlistees (there are exceptions to this) who have the same training track as the AD 18X's (OSUT, BAC, SOPC, etc..etc...). There have been prior service soldiers, who after having had a break in service for a substantial amount of time, receive a REP-63 contract sending them back to BCT, AIT, etc...

Hope this clarifies it some...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 19:17   #9
drifter15s
Asset

Necropost, sorry but I would rather not start a new thread.

I am an 11B in the MN NG, Sergeant and am ETS'ing in 10 months. I want to sign an AD 18X contract. I talked to the recruiters today here in Fargo and was told that 18X is not an option for PS candidates. He gave me the option of 21 series, 63 series and 13F. I told him, respectfully, that 18X is the only option that I will take. Is there a more current recruiting message out there for 18X? Thanks.
drifter15s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 19:25   #10
Anevolution
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter15s View Post

I am an 11B in the MN NG, Sergeant and am ETS'ing in 10 months. I want to sign an AD 18X contract. I talked to the recruiters today here in Fargo and was told that 18X is not an option for PS candidates. He gave me the option of 21 series, 63 series and 13F. I told him, respectfully, that 18X is the only option that I will take. Is there a more current recruiting message out there for 18X? Thanks.
Drifter:

I got one as have many other. I would go to another recruiter.

V/r
Anevolution
Anevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 23:18   #11
Grey1
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter15s View Post

Find a recruiter that will work with you as a PS guy (as stated above), but whether or not the 18x position is available is determined at MEPS.. not the recruiter. The list of jobs available to prior service changes daily (literally), and is mandated strictly by the needs of the Army. If your recruiter is on board with getting you an 18x contract and understands that it might take several trips to MEPS, then good on you. It could be a very long wait, but it is possible.
Grey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 14:20   #12
Inceptor
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey1 View Post
Find a recruiter that will work with you as a PS guy (as stated above), but whether or not the 18x position is available is determined at MEPS.. not the recruiter. The list of jobs available to prior service changes daily (literally), and is mandated strictly by the needs of the Army. If your recruiter is on board with getting you an 18x contract and understands that it might take several trips to MEPS, then good on you. It could be a very long wait, but it is possible.
+1

It took me 5 trips to MEPS to get a prior-service 18X contract signed. You have to make it happen though, my recruiter wasn't aware of any of the 18X requirements/policies.

Respectfully,

A.W.