Pete
Quiet Professional

CARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
That is why we don't do CARP.
TR
Hey Now easy there TR,

Right around 76/77 the AF was playing with AWADS (Adverse Weather Air Delivery System). Just think Blind CARP in shitty weather.

They needed experienced jumps because of the special nature of the jumps so SF was tagged. The way it worked was when the weather got real shitty the phones would ring, companies assembled and off we would go to jump.

The oddball in all this was the CCT had two sets of teams working against themselves. One to help the planes to the DZ and the other trying to jam them off.

The problem for us jumpers was, "Yes, the world is a drop zone but you would like to know which way to start walking when you hit the ground." Generally you would come out of the fog, mist, rain just as you hit pine trees. And there you are. Standing all alone and having absolutely not idea where you where. It would take until noon to get people rounded up from a midnight jump.

The CCT would give the DZ party their best guess as to where the green light came on and they would get over in the area and drive up and down roads. The jumpers would listen for the sound of vehicles and move in that direction. If you hit a road stay on it.

I pulled both the ground and jumping side of that detail and it was a coin flip as to which was better.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 17:16   #62
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I enjoyed the pleasure of jumping both CARP and AWADS.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 17:57   #63
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Done both...can't say I enjoyed them.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:25   #64
Soft Target
"SF Loggie"

The Better Way

VGMRS!!!!! Jumpmaster spotting.
Soft Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:35   #65
Pete
Quiet Professional

And an early green light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Target
VGMRS!!!!! Jumpmaster spotting.
I loved the air crews you could talk into an early green light during a jumpmaster spot. First jumper well before the tree line, second jumper got out on the tree line and third would be over the release point. I would be last out and well over the tree line when I jumped.

Short DZs are not that hard but you have to make sure the more experienced jumpers are at each end.

"They give you toggles for a reason, use them."
Old 03-18-2006, 09:41   #66
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I loved the air crews you could talk into an early green light during a jumpmaster spot. First jumper well before the tree line, second jumper got out on the tree line and third would be over the release point. I would be last out and well over the tree line when I jumped.

Short DZs are not that hard but you have to make sure the more experienced jumpers are at each end.

"They give you toggles for a reason, use them."
You actually paid attention to the lights?

Not like they can drag you back in for failure to follow instructions or have to live with the consequences of a bad spot.

I always asked for the early green as well. We were going when the JM said GO and we weren't stopping till the last man in the stick cleared the door.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:08   #67
Pete
Quiet Professional

Amber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You actually paid attention to the lights?

TR
I swear I never got out on a red light. I think there was a few times it was amber.

There was one ARTEP where the team leader JMed and jumped first. The TS was in the middle of the stick. Real small night time DZ and we were to assemble on him near the center of the DZ on the tree line. Commo guys were on either side of the TS because of the weight of their rucks.

I was to be last out and the Jr Eng was in front of me. The red light came on right as the TS exited. Everybody else kept going except him. He stopped just as he turned into the door. I didn't and he had a real poor body position as he exited. He also missed the DZ but I didn't.

He caught heck about toggle use and canopy control every jump after that.

Pete
Old 03-18-2006, 13:06   #68
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
Ref the title of this thread...

How about 12 out of 14 landing in the trees after a "Special Operations Wing" C-130 put us out?
That is exactly what I was referring to. The CARP SUCKED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master
Jumping in at midnight from a 141 and all of us in the trees. Some all night !!

Launching a Star Cluster horizontally, skipping it down the road and onto the Bridge that the 82nd was defending, where it did it's Star Cluster Thing !!!

Also sleeping up in the rafters of the tobacco drying barns.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07   #69
ODA572
Quiet Professional

Memories of Robin Sage in 1979

I remember hitching a ride in a "Tom's Candy" truck. I broke my weapon down and put it into my ruck. In those days guys were getting "mugged" for their M16's way out in the sticks. Anyway, this guy pulls over and gives me about a 20 click ride plus all the oatmeal pies I could scarf down. I knew then that the "unconventional" life was for me.

I remember falling asleep with my face on the feed tray of an M60 while waiting in ambush. The flare tripped, I woke up, fired one round and the piece of sh** jammed. So much for that.

I remember setting up an LZ for a STOL Porter from Langly. That was a special treat for an E-3 like me.

Long live Pineland.
ODA572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:55   #70
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

infil

Pain makes you remember things...

I remember standing for over 15 minutes in the plane waiting to jump into Pineland with a 100 LB plus ruck, weapon, LCE, and parachute/reserve.

Looking back on it, that was the most memorable jump I've ever done in my short army career.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 19:21   #71
Firewolf
Quiet Professional

Memories

A few auxiliary members ran a mule farm that had a litter of aussie shepherds. When we tucked tail out of our first G base, we hid in their barn, where I fell in love with a little shepherd that wouldn't leave me alone. It's been three years now and Whiskey 925, or just Whiskey, still won't leave me alone. Best dog I've ever had.