Old 04-23-2014, 11:32   #1
Chili_Wango
SF Candidate

Red/Green Colorblind

Hello all,

I just went through the MEPS processing, I passed everything with flying colors, except when it came to the colors . It turns out that I am red/green colorblind. I can see the colors, but I require a good 30 seconds to distinguish what the numbers are on the color tests, so I failed. I've put in a waiver for SF Command and am waiting to hear back.

I was informed that SF allows a certain number of colorblind individuals in; does anyone have or know of, any experiences with red/green colorblindness and selection?

Is anyone red/green colorblind and found any serious issues in performance when compared to "normal" individuals? I will be the best I can, and I hope this intrinasic quality won't dampen my ablilities in the military...

Thank you,

CW
Chili_Wango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38   #2
Chili_Wango
SF Candidate

All,

I have found the answers to my questions in another post.

Aplogies for the useless thread,

CW

Last edited by Chili_Wango; 04-23-2014 at 11:45. Reason: clarification
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

I was about to say

I was about to say the search button was not green or red.

Good PLF into the correct action.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55   #4
Chili_Wango
SF Candidate

Just in case any folks were interested, or in a similar position, I received my medical waiver form.

Heading to SFAS January 4th 2015. Time for some more PT.

CW
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35   #5
Stras
Quiet Professional

should you make it through all the hoops, learn the placement of the jump lights and which is red/green. some of the new ones are easy to recognize (regardless of color). This will not only help you as a Parachutist, but also as a future Jumpmaster candidate....

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:39   #6
JimP
Quiet Professional

not like it's important in a maritime environment. Oh....wait....
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 17:38   #7
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
not like it's important in a maritime environment. Oh....wait....
I am not sure if it is still the case, but at one time every new arrival at the USNA had a final colorvision exam before being matriculated. There was an athletic ticket, football IIRC, cadet who was colorblind, but was wavered in. The waiver was pretty specific, and the cadet had agreed to not seek any position aboard ship that required colorvision. That excluded him from any an all command positions. Upon graduation, the newly minted ensign brought suit against the Navy for descrimination. From that day onward, no waivers were granted for color vision failures. I learned this as I was working with a USNA hopeful. He was my daughter's boyfriend all through highschool. The lad had trouble with red/ green, and was able to get it right about 50% of the time, he was guessing. As a result he became USMA '92, and is a USMC JAG officer today.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07   #8
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
There are different degrees of color blind. Some people it is only certain shades ie dark green and maroon look the same but can tell red from green from orange from yellow from light green etc etc.

As an aside people that are red green color blind can see through camouflage where normal color vision people can not. I knew a guy from WWII that was sever color blind in Italy with a bomber group as a weather man. They went through the medical records and had all color blind people fly over German areas to spot where stuff was camouflaged. When coming into LA at the end of the war he looked down and asked someone what all the buildings were painted funny. Everyone asked what buildings he was talking about, they did not see them.
The different stages thing is completely true, the only time I have an issue is on those damn tests or when my wife asks me what weird shade of paint will pair with another (shades of green or red that don't occur naturally anywhere other than the paint section). Most people think that I only see gray, which does come in handy sometimes.
Old 05-05-2014, 16:35   #9
Chili_Wango
SF Candidate

I have had more than a few PMs regarding my case so I'm posting a response to cover all my bases. Here are the quick details: I failed the FALANT test ( if you want to know what that is just google it or try an online test like this one: http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm ) however, I passed the red/green vivid test.

I did not know I was red/green color deficient until I went to MEPS -- I can actually read the color cards but i require at least 30 seconds of careful studying to figure out what the hidden number is; however, you are only allowed 5 seconds to view each card.

I do not know what the deciding factors are for SOCOM to accept your waiver. Aside from my red/green color deficiency, I am in PERFECT health. I have a college degree, and I scored a 128 GT. I did not submit the waiver myself, the gentlemen at MEPS did that for me. It took 2 days to hear back from SOCOM. In my case I had everything leaning in my favor.

CW