Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 01-28-2009, 10:58   #1
MILON
Guerrilla

Endocrinology Paper Ideas

I am looking for ideas for a paper assignment due in my endocrinology class. My medical knowledge as it relates to the endocrine system and hormones is very limited and I would like keep the paper medically focused. The guidance for a topic was not very specific, so anything relating to endocrinology may work. Do any of the contributors out there have any ideas or experiences that may relate? I'd be happy to post anything of interest and pass the final paper on to any who would like to read it.

MILON
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55   #2
Dozer523
BANNED USER

How about "Hormones Through the Ages." or
"Hormones: Friends of Man? Or Scourge of Species" or
"Whore Moans . . . You Pay a Prostitute More If You Want To Hear That."

Google coughed up 17,900,000 idea in 0.02 minutes.

(Yeah, I know I have no business in the Doc's office. . . Just give me the aspirin and I'll go!)
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:14   #3
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

if it worth saying, it will be quoted.

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 08:52.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22   #4
nmap
Area Commander

I, too, am badly out of my lane...

That said, prions seem like an interesting area - and I notice there are papers that discuss possible new therapies that use a prion-like shift.

Here's a link: LINK

I notice the year is 2001; so, if it were me, I would probably take the authors' names and put them into an academic database (proquest?), and look for recent publications. Perhaps one of them would provide a suitable idea.

Then, one can (quite shamelessly) peruse the bibliography and get supportive articles for your own paper.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34   #5
Patriot007
Guerrilla

The best advice I can give you is ask yourself what you'd want to read about and choose an aspect of hormones related to a topic of your interest. Interested in athletics? Research and write about hormones in athletes.

For example, I remember a study, and I think it's on this forum somewhere, that compared stress levels in Special Operations troops compared to your average person. I can't remember if they used "stress hormones" as a marker but they found Special Operations troops displayed lower stress levels in trying situations.
It's much easier to read and write along your interest lines and you start gaining knowledge in areas you will later pursue.
Patriot007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 14:40   #6
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
How about "Hormones Through the Ages." or
"Hormones: Friends of Man? Or Scourge of Species" or
"Whore Moans . . . You Pay a Prostitute More If You Want To Hear That."

Google coughed up 17,900,000 idea in 0.02 minutes.

(Yeah, I know I have no business in the Doc's office. . . Just give me the aspirin and I'll go!)
Are you on Sick Call for aspirin, or tetracycline? (Back to my lane...)
Old 01-28-2009, 15:49   #7
MILON
Guerrilla

The paper is a for a graduate level course, but is short (5 pages) and isnt meant to be very technical. More technical than EMT level though.

My original idea was researching anabolic steriods in relation to enhanced performance and hormone levels, but since I spend 12 hours a day working in a weight room and being exposed to training material I thought I'd try something different. I need to start learning more in the field of medicine anyway.

Patriot, I do like your idea about stress levels in special operations troops. I will see what I can find on that as well. Thank you.

A couple thoughts I had.

Hormones/endocrine system in relation to trauma patients, either intial or long term care. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on this? Is this a even a concern if the glands are not directly effected?

nmap, I will looking into the prion idea and the paper you sent. I just glanced over it and it looked very interesting. Thank you. And, Dozer, I'll ask the prof about "Whore Moans" and let you know how that goes.

Milon
Old 01-28-2009, 16:18   #8
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

[

Last edited by Red Flag 1; 03-17-2018 at 08:52.
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 19:56   #9
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Some of the moderators here may disagree with me but what does this have to do with anything related to this website? If you had asked about the physiologic response to stress interms of the cortisol response to combat and do soldiers ever develop a relative adrenal insufficiency....then you are asking the correct question....but to ask the generic question you did has no educational value for those here to gain insight on medical issues.
just my 2 cents...

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 21:01   #10
MILON
Guerrilla

Understood SS. I considered that during my first post and is why I stated I will post anything in future that may have educational value for the other readers on the PS. My intent is not to waste anyone"s time with generic questions, but unfortunately my knowledge is limited at this time making a specific question difficult. I have decided stress is my topic and hope to focus it on soldiers, depending on how much information I can find. The question you posted SS helped as well, so thank you for your input. This is all I need and I will post anything of educational value I find at a later date.

Thanks again to all.

Milon
Old 01-28-2009, 22:51   #11
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Correct-a-mondo.

Swatsurgeon is really right. On a parting note adrenaline. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:09   #12
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Are you on Sick Call for aspirin, or tetracycline? (Back to my lane...)
I don't know! But it really, really hurts, Doc.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote