Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > Special Forces Assessment & Selection

Old 10-11-2014, 22:50   #1
conco303
Asset

A Quick Training Question

My training is quite diversified- Running, weights, swimming, plyometrics, 15-40 mile ruck marches, some Krav Maga/MMA when I have time, and OF COURSE push ups, sit ups and chin ups. My question is:

On the days when I focus on PFT reqs only, would a split like this one appear sufficient:

Superset: 10x 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 10 (4 count) flutter kicks, 8 chin ups
Superset: 5x paralell bar dips burnouts, reverse rows burnouts, 20 Supermans
MAX in 2min: push ups, sit ups, chin ups, flutters, burpees, chin ups, push ups
-2x30 sit ups, 2x15 push ups, 2x5 chin ups

-Run 3 miles in 18-19 minutes
-100 frog squats, 50 star jumps, 4x90 second Wall Sits

Or, does that seem like way too little for a day of PFT at SFAS?
conco303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 23:01   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by conco303 View Post
My training is quite diversified- Running, weights, swimming, plyometrics, 15-40 mile ruck marches, some Krav Maga/MMA when I have time, and OF COURSE push ups, sit ups and chin ups. My question is:

On the days when I focus on PFT reqs only, would a split like this one appear sufficient:

Superset: 10x 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, 10 (4 count) flutter kicks, 8 chin ups
Superset: 5x paralell bar dips burnouts, reverse rows burnouts, 20 Supermans
MAX in 2min: push ups, sit ups, chin ups, flutters, burpees, chin ups, push ups
-2x30 sit ups, 2x15 push ups, 2x5 chin ups

-Run 3 miles in 18-19 minutes
-100 frog squats, 50 star jumps, 4x90 second Wall Sits

Or, does that seem like way too little for a day of PFT at SFAS?
Have you read the SWCS PT Guide?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 19:12   #3
S2theM
Asset

15-40 mile rucks that seems a little much for SFAS, don't get me wrong if you train like that you won't have any problem completing the ruck requirements. When I train for PFT. I don't do sets, during the test you don't get breaks so why take breaks when training for it. I do as many push ups and sit ups as I can then take a break and then do some more. And when it comes to running and rucking get off the roads , the only time you'll be running on the road is for the pt test . And practice climbing ropes a lot of my buddies didn't and had to use the ladder.
S2theM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41   #4
EMase
Asset

I went to SFAS in Feb. I was unfortunatley med dropped. There is no secret equation on how to become prepared for SFAS. Do what works for you, and show up ready to destroy every event the Cadre give you.
EMase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:40   #5
Hacksaw
Quiet Professional

There's a shit load of info on training for SFAS, there is NO mystery to the requirements. There are a lot of dudes in the 82nd that can tell you about over training.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 23:10   #6
NF_NYC
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
There's a shit load of info on training for SFAS, there is NO mystery to the requirements. There are a lot of dudes in the 82nd that can tell you about over training.
ouch.
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 23:24   #7
conco303
Asset

Thanks for the helpful replies, even the one insinuating my injudiciousness. I think I like the idea of doing supersets of maxed out reps on pushups, situps and chin ups. And yes, above poster, you are correct that there are many, MANY different guides on how to prepare. That's the problem.
conco303 is offline   Reply With Quote