Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 07-02-2005, 08:53   #1
Archangel
BANNED USER

Question Crye Precision MultiCam

Any of you gentlemen know why the Army didn't pick this pattern? Cost maybe?

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/cryestrikef.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/cryestrikeback.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/mich2.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/cbp1.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/combat2.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/2/combat3.jpg

Quote:
7/20/04 (updated 11/10/04)- The small, New York-based design firm of Crye Associates was formed in 2000 and in 2001 won a contract to participate in the U.S. Army’s project ‘Scorpion’, which was the first phase of FCS (Future Combat Systems) program. Crye’s involvement in the project included a complete redesign/overhaul of the uniform and equipment worn by the combat soldier. One of the many innovative ideas/items that stemmed from that project is a new camouflage pattern. Unofficially referred to as the ‘Scorpion pattern’ until now (as it was born out of the Scorpion project), Crye is now producing it as ‘MultiCam’. Newly established Crye Precision is the manufacturing/production side of design-oriented Crye Associates, and has introduced the pattern, as well as apparel and equipment made in MultiCam. Fabrics in 1000d and 500d Cordura and 2 weights of 50/50 NYCO twill are now available.

The MultiCam pattern is a result of extensive development and testing over the past couple of years, by both Crye and the Army. It is designed to work in multiple environments (hence its name) – which include desert, woodland and urban. Although it came out on top in Army tests, the Army has decided to go with new ACU pattern which is basically a variation of the MARPAT pattern used by the USMC, with changes in colour. Why they chose grey as the overall shade, I don’t know.
Crye studied the many factors that affect camouflage, like geography, seasonal changes, varying lighting conditions, shape and form in the development of the pattern and colours.

MultiCam is comprised of six colours, (note that I'm using names that I'm most familiar with to describe the colours and that may not be entirely accurate)- a dark chocolate brown, a medium/flat earth brown, MJK khaki/green, medium green, desert pink, and a light grey (the base fabric natural colour). What makes it difficult to describe (and see) is that some of these colours are gradiated and fade into each other in some places. Another feature of MultiCam is that is does not consist of a uniformly tight pattern that repeats itself freqently. The medium shades of colour alternate in a larger pattern, so that an area will change from a predominantly green hue to a brownish one a yard down. The small blotches of grey and dark brown will sometimes cluster in one area, then be absent in another. This combination of tight pattern and larger, 'seasonal change' enables MultiCam to work both close up and from a distance away. The large changes of overall tone break up one the silhouette of the larger form while the smaller patterns blend it with the immediate environment. Crye coined the term 'macroflage' for the way the distribution of large areas of colour works. Photo (1) on the left shows 4 different swatches cut from different areas of fabric. The top left swatch is predominantly green while the bottom left one is brown. The ones on the right incorporate the smaller blotches of colour. Photos (2) and (3) show Multicam in arid (L) and woodland (R) environments

Last edited by Archangel; 07-02-2005 at 08:58.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 23:12   #3
eggroll
Guerrilla

AA

It is an effective pattern which I find more effective than that of the Universal pattern. Why Big Green opted to go this route, I cannot say.... The MC is flying out of my doors, I can never keep enough for reserve.... on thing I find interesting is the degree of color/tonal variation across a swath of material.

EGG
Old 07-05-2005, 08:48   #4
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll
AA

It is an effective pattern which I find more effective than that of the Universal pattern. Why Big Green opted to go this route, I cannot say.... The MC is flying out of my doors, I can never keep enough for reserve.... on thing I find interesting is the degree of color/tonal variation across a swath of material.

EGG
I think the bottom line was the cost issue.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:57   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
I think the bottom line was the cost issue.
More like the NIH Syndrome by Natick.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:56   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
More like the NIH Syndrome by Natick.

TR
I can't help but agree - it's the only thing that would explain why we have the ACU and not the Crye system. From a (former) soldier's perspective it doesn't make sense to deprive the troops of the best system available for what appears to be partisan politics. On top of which - supposedly Crye was doing the development at the behest of the military. FWIW, I looked at the Crye "ensemble" at the SHOT Show and was very impressed. The multi-cam is nice but it's just part of the entire concept. Crye's approach was so radically different from the BDU and Natick bureaucracy solutions that I had to stretch my prejudices a bit to slow down and really look at it. It is definitely a field/combat uniform and there is a lot more to it than just the multi-cam pattern. It looked to me as though the designers/engineers actually answered (or tried to answer) some of the bitches we've all had about our uniforms and equipment. Even the body armor and LBE were novel concepts. I found them to be interesting and worth looking into - BUT - I would have to wear it in a real world environment to have an opinion worth putting forward as a recommendation. Looking good on the showroom dummy and performing well on a "live action dummy" in the field are two wildly different things.

On the other hand we have the Army's answer. After visiting the 5th Gp CoC and seeing the new Army uniform (and talking with the guys wearing it) I was NOT impressed. I'll be getting a personal take on it as soon as they get back. I figure a year in the sandbox (probably with pithy interim reports) will give the ACU a thorough shakedown. My source is not known for reticence or tact - if he has an opinion I can guarantee he will share the whole thing, completely unvarnished, without any consideration for the sacred cows involved. I'll keep everyone informed as circumstances warrant. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:09   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Have to agree.

Don't like the ACU pattern, design, material, or the construction. Looks like s**t in garrison, and doesn't appear too comfortable or practical for patrolling either. Pattern is noticable in green jungle/woods and desert.

100% cotton ripstop, lots of pockets, no starching, BDU and DCU patterns. The old jungles (with pockets relocated and a VELCRO patch for a removeable fabric nameplate) were just about perfect, need an modern updated camo pattern like the Crye.

Maybe next time the soldiers will get some input rather than the CSM mafia.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-05-2005, 12:33   #8
Archangel
BANNED USER

I'm hoping that after reviews / complaints come back from the field that the ACU will become a fad like New Coke & they would reconsider the MultiCam.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:35   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
I'm hoping that after reviews / complaints come back from the field that the ACU will become a fad like New Coke & they would reconsider the MultiCam.
Too much institutional baggage already.

TR

Old 07-05-2005, 18:50   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

this is quite old...just in case for those who have not heard/seen it yet

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...DIA/xv/oc.html

perhaps one day it will find military/tactical application....now where did I put that Predator DVD...

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 07-05-2005 at 19:26. Reason: adding text
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 19:48   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I like the looks of the Crye stuff. The body armor looks very comfy.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 20:11   #12
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
this is quite old...just in case for those who have not heard/seen it yet

http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...DIA/xv/oc.html

perhaps one day it will find military/tactical application....now where did I put that Predator DVD...
Predator technology.

That's pretty cool. I've only seen the video of the guy in the street, but have not seen the rest.
Old 07-05-2005, 20:20   #13
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

It also has a lot more plate to it. The concept reminds me of the transitional field armor from the 14th century. (A better mix of plate and soft armors resulting from improved technology.) Overall it appears to have much better Level III (maybe Level IV) coverage than anything else out there. Not sure I would want to hump it all day, but it looks like the best stuff available for urban/motorized stuff like the sandbox. Again, I would have to wear it a while before I committed myself. Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:47   #14
37F5V
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Maybe next time the soldiers will get some input rather than the CSM mafia.

TR
That will be the day!

I peruse a few other forums dealing with NCO business and the biggest gripe I've seen are NCO's complaining about not having shiney boots and creases to inspect. That same arguement goes on here at work as well if you can believe that... Shit, thats 20 minutes extra each day that I can worry about conducting training as opposed to looking at boots and strings hanging off of crap ass BDUs. If I want to train on the conduct of an inspection I can pick something a bit more "Battle Focused"..... or Class A's....
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14   #15
optactical
Quiet Professional

Unversal Pattern: It's here to stay like the black beret, the only difference is the Universal Pattern won't get your ass kicked by a disgruntled Ranger, rather, it will get your ass shot off anywhere in the jungles of the world. It's basically useless in the Pacific AOR, to light for the J, way too light for Korea, but since when do we fight in the jungle, that's crazy talk.

Once again the USMC has trumped us by proving that even a Marine knows that the desert comes in a different color than the Woods, curse those bastards and their bottom up gear development, don't they know top down micromanagement is how you run and equip an effective fighting force.

As for Multicam, is does work well in both environs, and quite well, I know, I saw some pictures on the website of the guys who sell it.

I own a few Multicam items and it works well in the Aussie Savannah, the Korean Penninsula, the forests of Japan, the savannah and jungles of the PI and all over to tell you the truth. As for desert, I don't know, they never hold exercises there, just wars, and SOCPAC doesn't go to war, it might leave a blemish on someone's record (subject to change, I think someone found out we exist recently).

All smart assed comments and disgruntled behavior aside: Multicam GOOD, Universal Pattern NOT CONSIDERED FOR EVALUATION DUE TO SELF PRESERVATION

I'll still let the sales of it put my baby through college