Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18C

Old 08-31-2011, 01:25   #46
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Aghans with watches

Why would a Afghan have a watch??

Well if your in a Bigger city - Kandahar, Kabul, Herat, ETC. To tell time of course silly. Well, what about in Uruzgan, Hellmand, Paktika, Khost, ETC?

IMHO if that person has a watch on. Look at the time on it. See what it is set for. If it isn't the current time. Yeap - Gotcha bitch!!

But do keep in mind that many people trade in neighboring country. But you just never know.. never.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 18:00   #47
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Why would a Afghan have a watch??

Your working through a Terp and that is a big factor. If the terp does understand Time then how can he translate the points or question to the local??
To attempt to get your POL.

"I always feel like someone's watchin' me."

Regarding the second issue (terps), this is an issue that still freakin' pisses me off to no end; especially as we approach the 10th anniversary. Why if F do we (intel community) still not have enough Pashto or Dari speakers? In addition to that geek stuff we do, SOT-As should also be able to provide translation support.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor

Last edited by lindy; 08-31-2011 at 18:07.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59   #48
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
This is no joke... We have more than enough people that have been deployed to Afghanistan that should be able to answer this question.

Most Afghan's don't own a watch or have power in their homes. So if your talking to a Afghan and you ask him what time did XYZ happan. How can he tell you?

Most Afghans can't read or write their own langauge. Most can't speak it properly; like us American's. Me included in this!! Most Afghans don't know the days of the week, months within a year.

So if you ask a Afghan when did this happen? Better, when were you born? How can he answer you?

BTW - I really hate people putting January as that enter date for DOB, ETC.

BLUF - How does a Afghan tell time?

Why is this important with VSO? Why is it important period for that matter?
DOB,January 26 1937...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:55   #49
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Elevated tank water filtration system

Here is a great VSP site idea.

We all need water, trucking it in cost big time Dollars and FORCPRO issues.

The new Special Forces Tactical Facilities: FM 3-05.23 doesn't have these any more. Unlike the old Pappy Green Base Camp Book or Special Forces Base Camp Operations FM 3-05.230.

If you have water anywhere around your VSP site. You get a gas powered water pump. Build you a two tank (250L) elevated water filtration system. This filtered water (a 1000L (250G) tank) is pumped into say a kitchen or bathroom by a electrical water pump. You set up both black water lines and grey water lines from your "bathroom". The Black water (toilets and urinals) lines go to a 1800L (500G) tank that is buried underground as a spetic tank with leech field lines. The best way is to have locals build you a spetic tank out of bricks and not use a plastic water tank.

Now your Grey water lines (your hand wash sinks and showers) you have them lead into a 250L tank that is a two stage filter. This will filter out the soap and BS from the sinks. This grey water filter tank will have a leech line leading to a farm field to provide filtered water for crops for your VSP site. If this Grey water tank is getting full fast you can add a line to lead over to a animal "keep" area. Water for chickens, rabbits, turkeys, goats, sheep, etc.

Just something to think about.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 04-17-2012, 18:27   #50
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Power Supply

Power supply needs.

For anyone that had been on a Fire base will know that power is key with all the crap we are doing now. No all the Power Point shows we have to send up.

I know generators are hard to come by, but with the whole contracting thing. But outside of having to wait on that contractor to get on that ring flight. What have you done our been doing.

I'm looking at making our living areas out of the 20ft SEALAND containers with independent break panels so if the containers ever have to be moved you just disconnect the SEALAND break from the generator main breaker panel.
Heck has anyone (FOO) been able to buy a large generator 35KWa to 50KWa in Afghanistan lately?

Looking to see what others had done OIF or OEF or elsewhere as far as power.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 04-17-2012 at 18:29.
Old 04-17-2012, 18:58   #51
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Why not just steal shit from the Air Force.

All joking aside. I have some banjo picking hillbilly relatives that live in the mountains so these types of problems are not new to me. What about getting a generator off of a vehicle, power up some deep cycle batteries with it using either a gas motor or wind power then use a power converter to make the power you need? Most if not all the stuff you need could be cannibalized off of vehicles.
Heck is I was am electrical engineer maybe I could cannibalized off of vehicles to make a generator. Not happening, to much work. Batteries only work for short periods IMO. Thanks tho.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 04-18-2012, 20:26   #52
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Agribusiness Development Teams

Has anyone worked with any National Guard's Agribusiness Development Teams?

Looking to see if anyone would know how to contract the Agribusiness Development Team HQ within the National Guard Bureau. Looking to see about get data for a providence.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 05-10-2012, 16:02   #53
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

cookbooks

Ok.. I figured I'd put this here because of the reason. I'm looking fire a good overall cookbook. Maybe it could be the old fashion betty crocker ones. Maybe I'm will need to get 2 or 3 books.

I'm looking for something that would cover cooking basics to cooking from scratch.

Hey we look at it add.. You can kill it you can grill it. Its everything in between.

Any suggestions?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 05-10-2012 at 16:08.
Old 01-23-2014, 18:38   #54
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Thought of putting this in Redneck Engineering. But thought this needed a bump
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (132.1 KB, 54 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-23-2014, 20:09   #55
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Here is one for you.

Think this couldn't make a difference?

The business model is to sell someone in the community one of these water purifiers for a small fee ($80-$100), and then let them provide safe water to the community, for a smaller fee.

It produces enough chlorine per six minute run to treat 55 gallons of water.

All you need is the device, salt, a 12v. battery, and a few drops of water.

Every ODA should have several of these to take on any deployment.

TR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electrochlorinator SE200 fact sheet.pdf (1.45 MB, 66 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:40   #56
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thought of putting this in Redneck Engineering. But thought this needed a bump
Nice. Certainly looks like a great field shower............Or a great addition to a fish cleaning/field dressing station without running water.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 20:42   #57
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Here is one for you.

Think this couldn't make a difference?

The business model is to sell someone in the community one of these water purifiers for a small fee ($80-$100), and then let them provide safe water to the community, for a smaller fee.

It produces enough chlorine per six minute run to treat 55 gallons of water.

All you need is the device, salt, a 12v. battery, and a few drops of water.

Every ODA should have several of these to take on any deployment.

TR
Kool Little set up this thing has. I agree every ODA should have this if not in the medical kit or as an additional item was like a FORCEMOD or G8 action needed here.

Nice post TR!

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 02-07-2014, 21:34   #58
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Kool Little set up this thing has. I agree every ODA should have this if not in the medical kit or as an additional item was like a FORCEMOD or G8 action needed here.

Nice post TR!
No worries, hermano.

The vendor said they were asked to upsize the MSR MIOX water purifier. He also said that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation paid for the design and initial production.

It will make chlorine for purifying as long as you have salt, a battery, and water, for very little investment.

Can you imagine providing villagers with a simple and inexpensive way to kill the bacteria in their water in less than an hour? Zero to hero, brother.

Glad you liked it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote