Old 08-02-2011, 11:29   #1
allen87
SF Candidate

Paternity Leave

QPs,

I just found out that my wife is pregnant. We have not been to the doctor yet to determine a due date, but my rough estimates place it around the end of March or beginning of April. I am an 18x and I'm scheduled tentatively to attend Airborne in March and SOPC in the beginning of April. Since I will not be in selection at the time is it likely that I will be able to take paternity leave to be home for the birth?
allen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

You are on a path.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen87 View Post
QPs,

I just found out that my wife is pregnant. We have not been to the doctor yet to determine a due date, but my rough estimates place it around the end of March or beginning of April. I am an 18x and I'm scheduled tentatively to attend Airborne in March and SOPC in the beginning of April. Since I will not be in selection at the time is it likely that I will be able to take paternity leave to be home for the birth?
You are on a path right now that goes from stop to stop. Not yet under the full control of SF types.

Put in for what you want, get what you can get but don't be surprised if you find a few more bumps and twists in your path.

30 days maybe? Going to keep up with PT?

Will you expect paternity leave for all the babies?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34   #3
allen87
SF Candidate

Pete,

Thank you for the response. I am hoping I will be able to be home for the birth and a few days after. I will take what I can get and be happy. We are newly weds, this is our first child, and I will have been gone for over half the pregnancy at that point so I am hoping to at least be there, but if I can't then I can't. I am prior service so I'm at least some what aware of what I'm getting back into.
allen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 13:07   #4
alelks
Quiet Professional

I missed the birth of both of my kids as I was deployed each time. As a mater of fact Col Harley C. Davis met me at Pope when we landed with a box of cigars as my daughter was born 2 days earlier.

I also missed most of my kids birthdays.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 14:57   #5
69stang
SF Candidate

My wife is due to pop here in roughly a month and I leave for SUT here in a little over a week. I've heard rumor that they supposedly will allot 24 hours for me to go to the birth. Does anybody know if there's any truth to this?

I'm not a real good shot, but this gun uses really big bullets
-Hellboy
69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 17:01   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69stang View Post
My wife is due to pop here in roughly a month and I leave for SUT here in a little over a week. I've heard rumor that they supposedly will allot 24 hours for me to go to the birth. Does anybody know if there's any truth to this?
Your cadre should be able to give you the current (and correct) response to that question.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote