Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Insurgencies & Guerrilla Warfare

Old 02-11-2004, 16:38   #31
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Why not Col. Donovan, I understand what you are saying by "A component of the war" however weren't he and his me key in organizing training and suppling resistance groups such as the French, Dutch, and Greek resistance?

Maybe I'm mis-interperting "The Best Insurgent Leader". B/C the way I look at it all of the men on the ODA's that went to Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom, would qualify for this catagory. Some maybe better than others but the fact that they trained, equiped, supported, and lead the Afghani's aganist the Taliban could in my interpretation be considered Insurgent leaders.

Am I wrong in this intpertation?
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 17:23   #32
goat
Asset

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
What about him? Are you asking or telling? LOL
Asking, what i have read about him is limited. He appears to have been quite a successful guerrilla leader in the Phillippines.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 17:56   #33
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Smokin' the key in the Donovan OSS case IMO is:

Quote:
within the borders of their country in order to undermine or overthrow a constituted government or civil authority.
Donovan was not operating within the borders of his own country. He was conducting unconventional warfare, in all its definitions, in support of conventional warfare against a foreign enemy. Now, if the Nazis has occupied the US and did it, then yes. Other than that, I can't really explain it. You can count him if you want, but I don't.

goat
I just wanted to see if you knew your history. I would count him among the greats for what he achieved in the Philippines and one of the great counter-insurgents for his work in SEA.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 18:14   #34
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Smokin' the key in the Donovan OSS case IMO is:

Donovan was not operating within the borders of his own country. He was conducting unconventional warfare, in all its definitions, in support of conventional warfare against a foreign enemy. Now, if the Nazis has occupied the US and di it, then yes. Other than that, I can't really explain it. You can count him if you want, but I don't.

Gotcha....and thank you for the clarifiication.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 20:12   #35
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
When OBL is captured I’m fairly sure he’ll meet the same fate as Che.

TS
No kidding, since 2000 that has been what I think about as I drift off to sleep. Every night.

Best is too hard to define, so I'll go with two of my favorites:
Terence Bellew McManus
James O'Diomasaighe

Last edited by Jimbo; 02-11-2004 at 20:54.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 20:20   #36
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Why McManus and not the other eight? He didn't win. Why do you pick him. The 2nd one I think I know. LOL

See boys and girls, old Jimbo here is testing me. LOL He's going to accuse me of looking this up, but note, I was actually posting on the Che thread. Obscure assed reference that it was, it would have stumped a mere mortal. LOL
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 20:29   #37
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:

Revolutionary, rebel, Leftist guerrilla, Marxist insurgent, feedom fighter, right-wing death squads, separatists - all amateur terms as far as I'm concerned. They are all insurgents, then you define the nature of the insurgency, then the strategy they use.

Where are you going to put partisans? They used guerrilla tactics and strategy against an invading army that attempted to be a civil authority. The Soviet partisans were particulary good at guerrilla warfare.
Old 02-11-2004, 20:30   #38
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by CRad
Where are you going to put partisans? They used guerrilla tactics and strategy against an invading army that attempted to be a civil authority. The Soviet partisans were particulary good at guerrilla warfare.
Where do you put them? I generally like them on the left flank, but that's just me
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 20:56   #39
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Why McManus and not the other eight? He didn't win. Why do you pick him. The 2nd one I think I know. LOL

See boys and girls, old Jimbo here is testing me. LOL He's going to accuse me of looking this up, but note, I was actually posting on the Che thread. Obscure assed reference that it was, it would have stumped a mere mortal. LOL
I'm related to both of them.

The only two I don't know on the Che thread is who gave him the nickname and the name of the Bolivian that put him down (though I believe there may be some controversy over that).
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 20:58   #40
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Well, I didn't know that, I'm going to have to watch you.

Che - Hell even Ty Cobb didn't bat 500. LOL

I'll bet goat is looking all over the internet. LOL
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 21:21   #41
CRad
Guerrilla

I kind of like them out ahead of me as a harrassment element.

Enough questions and joking around. (at least from me for now and in this thread )

Menachem Begin for his leadership of Etzel prior to a Jewish State. Made a good transtion from insurgent to national leader and diplomat. He even was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Abebe Aregai for his leadership of the Ethiopians against the Italians. He achieved his goals and was regarded highly enough to be brought to negotiations. The place ended up a shithole but he was still a good fighter and commander.

Last edited by CRad; 02-11-2004 at 21:26.
CRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 21:26   #42
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Oh sure, NOW you think of Begin

Well, if your're going to bring the Italians into it, I'll counter with, Abd el-Krim and the Rifs
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-11-2004, 21:36   #43
CRad
Guerrilla

Talking Honest!

Quote:
Oh sure, NOW you think of Begin
No, I did a search using "best terrorist tactics & leaders"

Those search engines work really good.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:13   #44
Ockham's Razor
Guerrilla

Just to be different... Simon Bolivar.

I'd provide a summary of his accomplishments, but I think all here know them.
Ockham's Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:39   #45
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

What about Native American Leaders like Geronimo or Osceola?Could they be listed as insurgents?
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote