Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 10-27-2013, 10:45   #46
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Please take the time to watch this video before you jeopardize your money and your guns in a cheap Chinese made safe you bought from a big box store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Same guy, shorter, less detailed video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qasqZXdQKpg

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:22   #47
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Thats a good video, he covers a lot of good points but its still obvious he has an agenda and is pushing his preferred brands as he doesn't carry some of the other manufacturers products that have similar characteristics. None the less, it is good information in what has to be one of the most convoluted markets when it comes to doing research and comparison of the products out there.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 14:18   #48
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
Thats a good video, he covers a lot of good points but its still obvious he has an agenda and is pushing his preferred brands as he doesn't carry some of the other manufacturers products that have similar characteristics. None the less, it is good information in what has to be one of the most convoluted markets when it comes to doing research and comparison of the products out there.
He carries more brands and models than any other dealer I have seen bar one who is also a wholesaler in SC.

The facts he gives are correct and accurate. The door thickness claims and failure to have the body armored in relation to the door are good examples.

I have never bought from the guy in the video or visited him. I did work in a gun shop that also sold a lot of brands, and through SHOT attendance, got to meet the manufacturers and hear some of their advice.

You do not have to spend $5,000 to get a good safe. OTOH, a safe that can be popped by a kid with hand tools in less than ten minutes is really not much security either.

I have personally owned four safes and a vault from four different manufacturers. At work, I have worked with as many as 20 safes in a TS SCIF before. I have helped locksmiths open safes at home and at work.

Here are my tips:

1. Buy more safe than you think you need. One that will hold twice as many guns as you have is not bad advice, especially if they are scoped. You will run out of space before you think you will.

2. Get the thickest door steel that you can afford (not composite thickness, steel plate thickness).

3. Get a body half the thickness of the door or more, with continuous welds.

4. Get at least the double fire liner.

5. You want as many bolts and the largest diameter you can get.

6. You need a rated combination lock. Get at least an S&G or a comparable one, with the glass relockers. If you are not concerned about EMP, get an electronic lock.

7. Bolt the safe securely to the floor, and with the least outside access to the body (sides, back, top, floor) you can manage.

8. Add additional storage features, good lighting, and a dehumidifier as you can, but run the power into the safe before you bolt it down.

9. Avoid any safe made in China and look for a US made safe. Makes with a UL rating are better. If you think all you need is a steel storage cabinet, don't store anything in it you cannot afford to replace.

10. Do not store prybars, sledgehammers, cut off saws, pinch bars, or torch sets near the safe.

11. Use your alarm and security cameras, etc. to help protect your safe's contents.

12. Better to pay more for the best than to lose your guns or have to sell one to upgrade to another larger or better model.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25   #49
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys... T.R., nice summary.

I've come to the realization that this is a more complex effort than initially thought. I believe the concept of this being an "investment" vice a "purchase" warrants due diligence. I find it annoying that many of the write-ups and specs appear almost intentionally misleading.

The video was a help, especially having visual on the various characteristics. U.S.-made goes without saying, but even then I have found that there is that "Assembled in the USA" and "Made in the USA" nuance.

More reading and some phone calls are in the queue.

Looking forward to any others who would weigh in. Also interested in anyone who has experience with any of the lesser-known U.S. manufacturers.

I've seen a lot from Fort Knox, Rhino (certain models), AMSEC, Superior. Liberty, Patriot...acknowledging that they represent a variety of quality and features.

R10

James Madison

Last edited by Ret10Echo; 10-28-2013 at 05:34. Reason: final thought added
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56   #50
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

I own a safe by "Sturdy"...love it.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 18:59   #51
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
I own a safe by "Sturdy"...love it.
Impressive line...

From a customer service perspective, I'm getting a lot of love from Patriot Safe right now.... Still pulling in research and crunching numbers. A slow process.

James Madison
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02   #52
rsdengler
Area Commander

Small Handgun/Personal Papers Safe

OK, I know that this thread has A LOT of suggestions, it’s kind of mind boggling. I do have a question; I need a small handgun safe, for 1 handgun & some important paperwork. All the information I read on this tread tends to be for "larger" safes, and "cough, cough" are a bit too expensive for me. I just moved and I took my handgun w/me (someone wouldn't keep it for me in the old safe until I bought one) so I need one kind of quickly. I can't spend an arm and a leg; heck I can only spend a "hand" at this point. I looked at a Liberty Hand Gun Vault HD 300, which looks big enough for the gun & some paperwork. The small AMSEC’s are nice, but I am sure they are kind of too pricey.

So, any thoughts or opinions on smaller safes that are good quality and won’t drain my bank account? I don't want to act like a "girly-girl" but there is so much out there, and I'm not sure what would be the best for me. Oh and thanks, I’ve always valued every ones help and suggestions, as always it is very much appreciated.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34   #53
Box
Quiet Professional

Asking about a "small" gun safe quickly skews the conversation in a different direction.

A "small" safe doesn't exactly keep your gun "safe" if someone can pickup the safe and walk out with it. If you only have one or two pistols and one is a carry gun, then you can absolutely meet your needs with a small bedside safe. I have a variety but a Sentry or other small fire safe would serve someone well if they only had a few handguns, a will, and a pirates treasure map to lock up.

I agree with others - always buy ore than you need - but there are times when all you need is "xxx" - a huge 64 long-gun sized gun safe for a subcompact 9mm pistol MIGHT just be a bit overkill.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45   #54
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Asking about a "small" gun safe quickly skews the conversation in a different direction.
Agreed, If I needed a small safe, I put serious energy into the type the fits between the wall studs or embedded in the floor.

Here is one retailer's list (I have no relation to this business)

https://www.globalindustrial.com/g/s...SAAEgKg-fD_BwE

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:51   #55
rsdengler
Area Commander

I can still bolt a small safe to the floor. I think I just need an XXX as long as it can be bolted, fire safe, have room for my "pirate map" a bottle of Grand Marnier Cuvee 1880, and one I can afford now. Buying a house kind of takes away additional funds...LOL.....

Thanks....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 04-16-2019, 19:28   #56
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
OK, I know that this thread has A LOT of suggestions, it’s kind of mind boggling. I do have a question; I need a small handgun safe, for 1 handgun & some important paperwork. All the information I read on this tread tends to be for "larger" safes, and "cough, cough" are a bit too expensive for me. I just moved and I took my handgun w/me (someone wouldn't keep it for me in the old safe until I bought one) so I need one kind of quickly. I can't spend an arm and a leg; heck I can only spend a "hand" at this point. I looked at a Liberty Hand Gun Vault HD 300, which looks big enough for the gun & some paperwork. The small AMSEC’s are nice, but I am sure they are kind of too pricey.

So, any thoughts or opinions on smaller safes that are good quality and won’t drain my bank account? I don't want to act like a "girly-girl" but there is so much out there, and I'm not sure what would be the best for me. Oh and thanks, I’ve always valued every ones help and suggestions, as always it is very much appreciated.

If you look back in this thread there are a couple of spots where "Buy more safe than you think you'll need" is brought up.

It is a truism..

Also, purchasing something that safeguards your valuables as opposed to simply providing a "to go bag" for a would-be thief is important.

R10

James Madison
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08   #57
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
I can still bolt a small safe to the floor. I think I just need an XXX as long as it can be bolted, fire safe, have room for my "pirate map" a bottle of Grand Marnier Cuvee 1880, and one I can afford now. Buying a house kind of takes away additional funds...LOL.....

Thanks....
I can make room in my safe for that Grand Marnier....

We have a "small" SentrySafe S0500 (discontinued), thing weighs quite a bit for its size. You may want to check the SentrySafe line to see if there is a product that fits your needs and budget.
https://www.sentrysafe.com/safe-selector
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 16:30   #58
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
I can make room in my safe for that Grand Marnier....

We have a "small" SentrySafe S0500 (discontinued), thing weighs quite a bit for its size. You may want to check the SentrySafe line to see if there is a product that fits your needs and budget.
https://www.sentrysafe.com/safe-selector

Thanks for the suggestion on the Sentry Safes. There is a lot to consider before I make a rational decision. I will take a look at a few and do some comparisons. Much appreciated.....

LOL, and the Grand Marnier is for a special remembrance. My father would always have an Aperitif of Grand Marnier after the evening meal. I will have one tonight in his honor; it's 20 years to the day that he passed away; here's to you dad....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 04-17-2019, 17:02   #59
Joker
Quiet Professional

Salud!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 23:54   #60
G2squared
Auxiliary

IMHO,
Keep in mind, Locks Keep Honest People Honest.
Small and affordable = easier to just take home to pry open while watching how to videos and drinking cheap beer.
- Is keeping documents and pistol locked up more to get a "check in the box" for security? anything with a lock that makes you happy will do this.
- Or are you looking to prevent smash and grab? Get something that is big enough for your needs and make it more difficult to find and haul away. Bolt or cable to a secure object. Hide in plain sight might also help. Most criminals want to be out quickly so won't dig too deep past the obvious places. And if they can't grab and go will probably leave it.
- Fire and water protection? file folder style document safe with key lock. bolt it to the floor in an inconvenient place to access to reduce the ease of prying to remove. Knowing that bolts through the chassis may(operative word) reduce the effectiveness of fire and water ratings. These types of safes are available at big box stores and can be had for under $100.
- Easy/"quick" access for handgun needed/wanted? Generally not fire or water rated and you need them to be conveniently located typically will be easier to find. Security varies as does price.
- With all of these the location, out of sight, out of mind, can contribute greatly to security.
- I like the between wall studs safes, but they require some skills or a friend with skills to install. Then cover with a picture/hanging rug/fake treasure map(real one is in safe).

I have several smallish pistol safes with electric and key backup. I like the Hornady RFID systems for quick easy access and they come with hardware to cable connect them.
I use a file storage fire and water rated safe with a key lock for business documents. But it's large enough for several pistols, a bunch of paperwork and the Grand Marnier Cuvee 1880.

If you do a search for safe cracking you'll find a couple locking systems that you might want to steer away from. Sentry Electronic locks get a lot of bad reviews, but they may have "fixed the glitch" since that flaw was discovered and plastered all over the web. Keep in mind though, a little bit of research and a few tools and criminals will be criminals.
Good Luck!

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote