Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 06-30-2008, 13:38   #16
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'd really be interested in seeing that Cav test administered, especially the 300lb bench press, the 10 mile run and the last two 400m "sprints".
Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping, ping: that is the sound of my BS meter going off. It might have been a test, or even a goal, but just how many were able to achieve this level of performance-especially in a military unit where your ability to develop a program and stick to it between deployments and normal training cycles would enable someone to maintain that level of performance.
Old 06-30-2008, 13:46   #17
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVS2 View Post
It's probably not too popular with a lot of soldiers - YOGA, man! While weightlifting I sustained far less injuries, muscle pulls, and increased my cardio stamina and strength by doing 15-45 minutes of yoga excercises a few times a week. It keeps you better balanced and more flexible than any other stretchig routines I'd ever done.
I will stick with the weights, pool, and short distance sprinting. Thank you for the suggestion though...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 13:59   #18
MVS2
FTFSI!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
I will stick with the weights, pool, and short distance sprinting. Thank you for the suggestion though...

Crip

You're welcome
MVS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 19:56   #19
DrVudoo
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I agree.

I know of few non-pro athletes who can bench over 300, and fewer still who can also run 10 miles in 70 minutes.

Was that a cav unit, or a pro football team?

TR
Of course not everyone in the Unit passes. The Unit standard is at least 20% pass everything. They give you a few days no PT after this. 1-40 Cav also have a 30 mile ruck march. Probably not that far for some people on this board, but it is for me.
Old 06-30-2008, 20:38   #20
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVudoo View Post
Of course not everyone in the Unit passes. The Unit standard is at least 20% pass everything...
What the hell is the purpose of a PT test that only 20% pass (which I find to be a liberal estimate). The events sound a bit ridiculous to me, but what do I know...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 22:24   #21
DrVudoo
Asset

Quote:
What the hell is the purpose of a PT test that only 20% pass (which I find to be a liberal estimate). The events sound a bit ridiculous to me, but what do I know...

Crip
lol I never came up with this cav fit test. You have to go higher up in the food chain. I'm just a little pion in an ocean full of sharks. I agree this Cav Fit test is a bit ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:25   #22
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVudoo View Post

40 yard dash 5 seconds minimum
Flat Bench 300lbs
10 mile run 70 minutes minimum
At different times in my life, I have exceeded each of these standards by a reasonable margin.

To do them all at the same time would be extremely difficult to achieve, even for an excellent athlete.
The training for the 40 yard dash and 10 mile run actually work against each other.

Someone who has long arms and short legs would be at a substantial disadvantage when trying to perform the bench and 10 mile standards.
It would not accurately reflect the fitness or ability of such a person.

To consistently maintain just these three would require a ridiculous investment of time for training, and would require substantial down-time between training sessions to avoid injury.
There would likely be better ways to spend that time.

Having done the training required to pass each of these standards one-at-a-time, I find the idea of requiring simultaneous performance to be absurd.

Something is wrong with these numbers.

<edit>
Shouldn't the 40 yd dash and 10 mile run times be maximums?
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 07-01-2008 at 11:05. Reason: new observation
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:19   #23
Razor
Quiet Professional

If the intent was to create a very difficult test that few could pass, then it seems the Cav Test hit the mark.

Of course, the designer of the test completely ignored the minimum characteristics of a good "goal": specific, attainable and realistic.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:33   #24
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Crip
It goes with the hat that flips up when you step on the spur....

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 13:45   #25
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
It goes with the hat that flips up when you step on the spur....
Perhaps the running events were mounted
Old 07-01-2008, 18:04   #26
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
Actually that comment came out of a discussion at the NCO club one evening. There were some fellows in Stetsons explaining this land-navigation course to us....we were somewhat impressed up to the time he mentioned the vehicle.

The evening went downhill from there.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 20:15   #27
stickey
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post

You may have intended it to mean mounted as in vehicles, but my first thought was a bunch of cav guys on horseback racing each other... I just made a fool out of myself laughing at this one...people are now wondering what i am doing...as i should be doing something else. Very funny , good one.
stickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19   #28
MILON
Guerrilla

I agree with all of you that the Cav test is unrealistic and actually very dangerous. Can we say "LOD"? I just finished my BS in athletic training and spent some time working as a strength coach and this test pretty much goes against everything I have learned. The only way I can see this being applied is administering it over an extended period of time.

Getting back to the new army PT, I think its LONG overdue. My experience is from the guard side, where I would say the majority of soldiers simply train for that annual APFT. Its sad, I know. Training for an APFT and training for combat are two separate things and implementing a dynamic training program that is specific to battle drills is the key.

It was mentioned earlier this new program will cause more injuries and I can see why one may think that. However, if a soldier is progressed properly, it should decrease injury rates in the long run. The Army currently has a huge problem with sports injuries. Athletes, which soldiers are, in the civilian world train sport specific to prevent injuries in their competition. Soldiers should train for combat to minimize the risk of injuries during combat and drills.

With any luck the new Army PT will teach NCOs and officers how to design basic programs and the concepts behind it. I think thats the key. The 21-20 had some good basic information in it, but methods in performance enhancement and injury prevention have improved since then. Soldiers DESERVE the best we can offer them.

It was mentioned earlier, but I never saw a reply on it. Does anyone know where to get a digital copy of the new PT manual?
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:15   #29
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.tentis View Post
With any luck the new Army PT will teach NCOs and officers how to design basic programs and the concepts behind it (sic).
They used to have the Master Fitness Trainer program, but I believe it went away a number of years ago.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:30   #30
Richard
Quiet Professional

Location: Bad Tolz, FRG, January 77; ODA outside doing morning PT in the snow wearing parkas over sweats, artic mittens, and Chippewa mountain boots; no sun in sight and colder than an endangered polar bear's testicles.

Question by young SGT to TM SGT: 'Top, why are we out here doing PT instead of using the gym or the pool?'

Answer by TM SGT (Joe Alderman): 'Because we don't get paid to fight wars in an f'in gym.'

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote