Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 11-27-2013, 13:47   #1
PSM
Area Commander

The Liberty Amendments, Restoring the American Republic by Mark R. Levin

The Liberty Amendments, Restoring the American Republic by Mark R. Levin

“I undertook this project not because I believe the Constitution, as originally structured, is outdated and outmoded, thereby requiring modernization through amendments, but because of the opposite—that is, the necessity and urgency of restoring constitutional republicanism and preserving the civil society from the growing authoritarianism of a federal Leviathan.”

(The following is my summary of Mark's proposed amendments and, thus, subject to misinterpretation. )

1. An amendment to limit members of congress to a total of 12 years whether spent solely in the House or the Senate or in combination of the two.

2. An amendment to repeal the 17th amendment and return election of senators to the state legislators. (Levin notes that the Constitution would not have been ratified if direct elections of senators had been included originally. The people were to be represented by the House and the states by the Senate.)

3. An amendment to establish a twelve-year term limit for justices of the Supreme Court and the ability for the Congress to overturn a Supreme Court majority decision by a three-fifths vote of the House and Senate or by a three-fifths vote of the states legislatures.

4. An amendment to require a budget to be submitted to Congress no later than May 1 preceding the next fiscal year. If the budget is not passed and signed by the first day of the new fiscal year, October 1, an automatic across-the-board 5 percent cut from the previous FY budget will go into effect. Total Government spending shall not exceed the total receipts for the fiscal year, nor exceed 17.5 percent of the GDP of the previous FY.

5. An amendment to limit taxes on personal income, however earned, to 15 percent and the final day to file will be the day preceding federal elections. Congress would also be banned from instituting a VAT, national sales tax or any other tax on the people.

6. An amendment to limit the federal bureaucracy by requiring departments and agencies to be reauthorized every three years. Any Executive regulations exceeding an economic burden of $100 million or more shall be submitted to a congressional oversight committee for review.

7. An amendment to limit Congress’s power to regulate Commerce to the original intent of the Commerce Clause.

8. An amendment to protect private property by a strict interpretation of Eminate Domain laws.

9. An amendment to directly amend the Constitution. (This allows the states to call their own convention and not go through Congress admenistrativly. Seems to be meant to circumvent Federal mischif in the process.)

10. An amendment allowing the states, by three-fifths vote of the legislatures, to overturn a federal statute and Executive regulations exceeding $100 million.

11. An amendment to require photographic documentation proving that a voter is a legal citizen before being allowed to vote in any Federal election, including primaries.

Quote:
From Levin’s website:

Mark Levin is one of America's preeminent conservative commentators and constitutional lawyers. He's in great demand as a political and legal commentator, and has appeared on hundreds of television and radio programs. Levin is also a contributing editor for National Review Online, and writes frequently for other publications. Levin has served as a top advisor to several members of President Ronald Reagan's Cabinet - including as Chief of Staff to the Attorney General of the United States. In 2001, the American Conservative Union named Levin the recipient of the prestigious Ronald Reagan Award. He currently practices law in the private sector, heading up the prestigious Landmark Legal Foundation in Washington DC.
Levin doesn’t suggest that these are the only amendments needed, his intent is to let the people and state legislators know that they have power inshrined in the Constitution and that they need to exercise those powers before the Republic is lost forever.

Along the lines of his amendment to repeal the 17 th amendment, I’d like to see a return to smaller congressional districts, too. Early districts covered 20 to30 thousand citizens, they now cover about 600,000. By reducing the districts, over time, it will reduce the power of the Representatives thus reducing their “star power”. Also, smaller districts would be harder to gerrymander. It would also place the represenitive closer to the people. Wyoming now has one Congressman; at 30,000 per district, they would have 19.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 16:43   #2
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
3. An amendment to establish a twelve-year term limit for justices of the Supreme Court and the ability for the Congress to overturn a Supreme Court majority decision by a three-fifths vote of the House and Senate or by a three-fifths vote of the states legislatures.
This needs to be revisited.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 06-26-2015 at 23:55.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:11   #3
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

This is the only way out of the leviathan.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 15:57   #4
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

I disagree with the Income tax and banning a VAT.

I think a VAT at 15% and an constitutional amendment to increase it. Captures more lost revenue like those paid under the table, drug deal revenue.

Plus no more convoluted tax laws, neutering the terrorist organization that strikes fear into the hardest pipe hitters, the IRS.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 21:42   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Still relevant

The kids had actually asked me to do one of those new-fangled "wish lists" so they could get me a tangible "thing" for Christmas rather than the gift cards (that I actually think are rather cool). So I've been adding some books, and this is one worth having on the shelf, especially since I know whichever kid it is will get nose problems and give it a good perusing. Secondary motive, me?

(I've decided also to put my own copy of Jim Morris' War Story on the personal shelf as well but may have to settle for 'used' - uff-da, boy are people proud of that one.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:02   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
This needs to be revisited.

Pat
I agree, Pat

Term limits and repeal of the 17th A are most important.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:19   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Neat premise for a book - my only question is, "who" is going to vote these measures into law?

If we ran off everyone in congress with over 12 years of cumulative service it would be just about laid bare. The average length of service for Representatives at the beginning of the 116thCongress was 8.6years and for for Senators, it is 10.1 years
...that's the average - which means there is a metric shit ton of serving congress critters pushing the 12 year limit (hell there are 14 of them with over 36 years cumulative congress time).

Now here is some additional math to do that will give an approximation of how many members of our government are ready to legislate away the one thing that empowers their corrupt lavish lifestyles:
-divide the total number of congre$$ional hucksters with over 12 years of service into the amount that will reach 12 years of total service before they are able to use their positions in government to at least double their current Net-Worth
-subtract that number from the estimated number of congre$$ional reps that are standing by to willingly vote away their jobs as elected representatives
-multiply that by the number of $enator$ that would agree to let an opposition party state government decide their fate - multiply that number by Sommerfeld's Constant and you end up with a number that may or may not even matter

Once you have that answer - use the same equation to find the number of states that would ratify that same legislation. Keep in mind - we are asking shitty state legislators to take on more responsibility by having them carefully select $enate representation for the state.
Nobody in government wants to do "more" unless there is a payoff of some sort and you can bet your sweet ass that any $enator that isn't already in bed with the state electors will do their best to kill legislation that would put their fate in the hands of the opposition party.

12 year max for the supremes?
We have a semi-"conservative" slant right now - the current crop of "conservative" politicians aren't going to risk voting away "their" edge in the judiciary.
The left will be all over getting rid of lifetime appointments since the current lean is to the right - then once they regain control, they'll all clamor to make it a lifetime appointment again.
...or they'll try to add a few more slots that can be stacked with liberal activists like Darth Bader and Lord Solomaker

Picture ID to vote?
The republicans would need to regain full control of the House, Senate, and White House as well as a solid right leaning tilt in the Courts to force voter ID because someone will "sue" and a liberal court will judge again' it
...voter ID is race-iss
...if you even suggest voter ID - you are race-iss

These are all wonderful ideas - but the problems is not our government. The problem is our citizens.
Nancy Pelosi isnt rioting.
Citizens are rioting. It's good to blame her for instigating - but decent people cant be instigated to violence through flase narratives. Only shitty self serving degenerates can be so influenced.
People like Dingle, Thurmond, Kennedy, Rangle, Leahy, Grassley, and Byrd didn't spend 45 plus years fleecing the taxpayers by voting themselves into office over and over again.
...lazy selfish ignorant citizens kep these people in office for decades upon decades

Does anyone think the people of San Fransisco really want nancy Pelosi removed from office?
No
Her voters fucking LOVE her

The problem in America is NOT our government. It's the voters that keep hiring incompetent employees.
In November - watch how many of these ignorant blue states re-elect the idiots that have left their cities if cinders.
...and watch how they blame it on President Trump

Put another way -
Lets pretend our government is like a luxury automobile - if I buy you a brand new 2020 F-Type Jaguar and you drive it around with cheap gas, never service it, never check the oil, never wash it, never change the windshield wipers, let the back seat fill up with taco wrappers and soda cans, and then take it off road after you are done throwing back a six pack of Natty Light and a big ole' fatty...
...the condition of your car is not because Jaguar quality is lacking. Its because you suck at maintaining your automobile.

Lets treat congress like its our fucking car and the USA will start to look better the day after our next election cycle.
Congress needs maintenance but nobody wants to be the mechanic.
Congress needs a mother fucking oil change - and we cant figure out what to do with this chamber that is overflowing with contaminated oil.
Congress needs new tires but we have let the DMV pass laws that wont even let us kick the tires anymore.

We loose our fucking minds if our cars starts to make a strange noise - or the kids let a nerfball hit the bumper...
...but we cant be bothered with holding our elected officials accountable

...just my two cents - I could be wrong
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 09-08-2020 at 11:27.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:46   #8
bubba
Quiet Professional

Box as usual is Spot the Fuck on. Until this train leaves the tracks, until the driver puts this bitch in a ditch, and until the people feel that pain of not getting to go to the store, nothing will happen. It almost makes me want biden to win, so the drunk teenagers kamala and AOC can wrap this government around the telephone pole. Better now while I’m young and can still mix it up than to sit on the sidelines and watch my kids or grandkids have to deal with the inevitable.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:57   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Neat premise for a book - my only question is, "who" is going to vote these measures into law?

This is a call for a Convention of State Legislatures, Congress would have no say in the matter. The Constitution would be amended as has been done 17 times since the Bill of Rights, by ratification of three-quarters of the states. (The BoR were actually an addendum to the Constitution rather than actual amendments.)

But, while there is movement in the direction of calling for a convention, you will notice that I posted that nearly seven years ago.

Old 09-08-2020, 14:32   #10
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
This is a call for a Convention of State Legislatures, Congress would have no say in the matter.
I understand and I agree with the premise - but the reality we are forced with limits rational action.
The New York governor DOES NOT WANT TO BE THE GOVERNOR when it is time to do governor shit - he put that shit on global display earlier this year. The same goes for Mayors in Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Baltimore, Minneapolis, New York, DC, St Louis - the list goes on and on - everybody wants to be Mayor 'tll its time to do Mayor shit !!!
...they defer to the federal gubmint.

The states have to WANT such a convention.
The states have to WANT to govern themselves.
The states have to WANT to a assume a "broken windows" system of governance.
(and I dont mean 'let the looters, rioter, criminals, thugs, and mainstream democrats break windows as a system of governance)

States have to WANT to start fixing problems by addressing the small things.
...broke a window? FIX THAT FUCKING WINDOW - otherwise the neighborhood goes to shit because nobody lives "happily ever after" in a neighborhood full of broken windows.

The problem is there are just too damn many cities in this country are populated by people that think the broken windows theory is racist. Far too many activists and MOST of the media go out of their way to exploit the charge that broken windows is racist and authoritarian.

I agree that the states need to throw the bullshit flag at the federal gubmint - if only we could find Governors and Mayors that really wanted to walk the walk.

They have my vote - regardless of party - if they can just convince me that they are sincere.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote