Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-18-2006, 09:30   #1
Kyobanim

Skeet Shooting

Is this how you do it AM?

http://www.glumbert.com/media/carshoot

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 20:35   #2
Penn
Area Commander

In preparation for duck and upland field hunting, I very recently started shooting clays. If you haven't, you should. It's a great time, good company, and humbling.

If anyone living within an hour of Salem, NJ is interested, shoot me an email, looking to establish a team for competition events. Currently shooting at M&M Hunting Preserve in Salem County, NJ

Easy drive all major Hwys 295S out of Philly, NYC, NNJ.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:37   #3
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
In preparation for duck and upland field hunting, I very recently started shooting clays. If you haven't, you should. It's a great time, good company, and humbling.

If anyone living within an hour of Salem, NJ is interested, shoot me an email, looking to establish a team for competition events. Currently shooting at M&M Hunting Preserve in Salem County, NJ

Easy drive all major Hwys 295S out of Philly, NYC, NNJ.
Humbling is an understatement.

I learned that trap is one thing, but skeet is quite a whole different game!
At the 50 stations clays, my best ever performance was 24

Once one is second-nature conditioned to that steady precision rifle/pistol trigger squeeze, then that shotgun trigger slap while keeping the barrel moving is like teaching oneself to flap the arms and start flying! Feels like heresy too

How's 12ga and 20ga shells price/availability up there?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:35   #4
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Did shoot competitively in the late '70s to the mid '80s. I have also shot several "Riot-Gun" rounds where the max barrel length was 19", a few with a .44 Mag/w Shot Loads and quite a few with a Browning Hi-Power!
Old 09-29-2020, 16:13   #5
Penn
Area Commander

AM, crazy funny, but totally understandable for a SOG guy!
Old 09-29-2020, 16:16   #6
Penn
Area Commander

Frosrfire, $84 case 250 rounds/6/7.5 shot.
Gravity plays a major roll in accuracy.
Old 09-29-2020, 20:26   #7
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I had YEARS worth of points from my Cabela's card and went to buy something insignificant with the wife and she convinced me to buy a shotgun and not go cheap (I normally buy guns that work but nothing fancy). I got a Beretta A400 Xplor for points plus $100. Wow. What a enjoyable gun to shoot. Started shooting clays. I suck, but have a good time.
Old 09-29-2020, 22:16   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

When I got into Skeet Shooting in the mid '70s, I literally started with an 870 "Police Model" that I bought a Stock & Barrel for. I REALLY pissed them off when I'd "Dust" a B1rd and then Eject the Shell, Catch it, & put it in the "Empty Pouch" on my Vest!!!I saw an AD for a Browning Citori, that was WAY too cheap!! I called the store & asked if the Brownings that were on Sale included the Skeet/Skeet Citoris & they came back and said YES!! I grabbed my Checkbook and I headed for the door, told my Boss that I'd be back in a couple of hours. I got that Gun @ less than HALF of what they were selling for!!! Since then, I've worn the Gold Plating off of the trigger! I used to "Re-Load" close to 1K Rounds a WEEK. We bought Shot by the Pallet-Full!!! As a side note, we flew a HELL of a lot of RC Aircraft off of our Private (Company) Runway so much that we bought Model A/C Fuel by the 55 gal DRUM!!
Old 09-29-2020, 22:47   #9
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Penn, great resurrection of a dead thread!

AM, that’s as far as I ever got. Shooting tactical guns (18” barrels - semi or pump) on a trap or skeet range or just out in an open pit with a single launcher. One of our team members rented the whole Fort Lewis range for party once. Many humbling moment for sure.

Always great fun, and a challenge! Need a really good front sight!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:31   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

My unit once rented the Bragg MWR clay facility for a birthday or something. It was humbling when the 1SG who I consistently outshot at every matches and EIC and All Army Small Arms left me in the dust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Need a really good front sight!
aaaah, there's another bad memory

There I was one Saturday when I showed up with truglo green fiber optic in front of my 870 bead after installing the 28" trap barrel with full choke.

I suppose the Bragg MWR lady took pity of me after I spent $25 after $25 and still hitting 7 to 15 out of 25. She walked out of the office, and told me "you don't aim you point! Look at the target, don't look at the bead!"
Again, with my whole precision long range/pistol conditioning, that was heretical.

I gave her a certain look as if a certain reproductive organ grew out of her forehead. Sensing my skepticism, she took a club shotgun with the bead removed (!!!) and proceeded to hammer away....

Then I tried her advice with that beadless shotgun but thats story for another day

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:53   #11
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
AM, crazy funny, but totally understandable for a SOG guy!
My Dad gave me a BHP for my 21st Birthday while I was Home on Leave, enroute to RVN. I was @ a Shooting Range in La Marque, Tx with a case of Clays on the tailgate of my Pickup and a Hand Trap Stick in my hand. A Galveston County Sheriff Car pulls up and 2 Deputies get out. They come over, ask me how's it go'in (I'm in Fatigues/w my Beret on). We chat for a while & they eventually asked what I was shooting at since there weren't any Targets Downrange. I picked up a Clay & launched it, pulled the BHP from my Shoulder Holster & Busted it! They almost crapped their pants!!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:56   #12
PSM
Area Commander

We've got a Wheelybird clay launcher and I'm hit and miss with it.

In Basic at Ft. Polk, we were taught Quick Kill shooting starting with BB guns. I think that when I do well with the clays, it's when I stop thinking and some of that training takes over. One afternoon, shooting with my son, I hit about a dozen in a row. On my next turn, I didn't hit any. Also, I do better when I don't call "pull" and just let it be a surprise.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:14   #13
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

I went through the same no sights Daisy BB Gun "Quick Kill" training in One-Zero School @ Long Tan (CLT). It was NATURAL to me, luckily, because that was the way I grew up shooting. Hell, I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast in the swamps!!
Old 09-30-2020, 21:53   #14
PSM
Area Commander

Absolutely the most fun I had in Basic! It seems that one of my favorite DSs got shot in the butt during this training. "I know nothing!"

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:46   #15
Penn
Area Commander

AM, amazing stories, you should consider documenting all those experiences, including your RT NY SOG time, they would be great reads for sure!

ABC 123, That A-400 Beretta a great gun, at auction I was fortunate enough to come across a Beretta S57 EL For $1200. I had always wanted a shotgun with great engraving, this was a gun good shape, but not great, at the right price. So, I sent it to Cole Gunsmith in Maine to be restored as an investment, it what I am using now. Below is the gun, but not mine, for some reason I can not upload pictures to the site, therefore this example is the best representation of that gun. Restoration cost were $985, new fancy wood, checkering, and mechanical tune up. Bluing on the gun was 99% and did not need to be addressed.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101518214

Last edited by Penn; 10-02-2020 at 06:54.