Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 02-03-2010, 09:19   #31
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
A few minutes later, we're sitting there waiting for the boarding call and a guy sits down next to me.
It's the pilot. "Are you the police officer?", he asks quietly. I told him I was and I wasn't trying to make a stink.
"No problem", he says. Then quietly, and a litlte hopefully he asks. "Are you armed?".

"I have a sharp tongue", I told him. "Glad to have you aboard anyway", he said, somewhat disappointedly I thought.

The shrimp in First Class was excellent.
Most commercial pilots I know get it. It's the companies they work for, the FAA and their lawyers that don't.
Old 02-03-2010, 13:37   #32
PRB
Quiet Professional

I use a galco ankle job with the Ruger LPC .380 and it works very well. However, the LPC is very lightweight/small so have no idea how that would work with a heavier/larger frame.
I can run with this on no problems and I sometimes forget it's there (the sign of a great/comfortable holster).
I usually wear wrangler jeans regular cut and it's not noticeable.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 16:10   #33
TexasAg2004
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I use a galco ankle job with the Ruger LPC .380 and it works very well. However, the LPC is very lightweight/small so have no idea how that would work with a heavier/larger frame.
I can run with this on no problems and I sometimes forget it's there (the sign of a great/comfortable holster).
I usually wear wrangler jeans regular cut and it's not noticeable.
Does it have the brown suede like backing behind the pistol? I find this to make a huge difference over other ankle holsters.
TexasAg2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:50   #34
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I'd agree with you if I thought speed was necessary. Speed is not the issue when I wear an ankle holster.

I will look into this smart carry, it just doesn't look comfortable...... and while I don't mind having guns pointed at me, I do not like the idea of one pointed at the family jewels, especially cocked and locked......
I know this is an ankle holster thread but...

TS-

FWIW I recently bought a smart carry for my 3.25" bbl Taurus .45. Took a little fooling with it to figure out exactly how to position it but then it was GTG. To me it's surprisingly comfortable (yes you know you have a .45 in your pants, but it's not bad) and I can carry a pistol with 20rds of .45acp while wearing gym shorts. No shirt/shoes required. Wore it all day (8-10hrs) standing and sitting the day I got it to test it out and once adjusted right it works fine. Seems like it might get warm if sitting for long periods in the summer, but I don't know that for a fact.

I have a ruger LCP .380 with a pocket holster, that I bought for concealment unde light clothes or when I was too lazy to wear something with a belt. Now that I have that Smart Carry I have been taking the .45 every time.

The pistol rides in front of the family like a jock barrel pointed down, and works as long as you don't wear nut-hugging pants. The weight is distributed evenly on both hips which is a plus in my book also.

Naturally if your belt/pants are too tight in the waist one might have issues with the draw, and with a seatbelt on, it wouldn't exactly be the fastest draw when sitting in a car...but I'm sure like with anything, with practice it could be done.

$5.00 mil/retired mil discount on my order.

YMMV.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39   #35
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
FWIW I recently bought a smart carry for my 3.25" bbl Taurus .45. Took a little fooling with it to figure out exactly how to position it but then it was GTG. To me it's surprisingly comfortable (yes you know you have a .45 in your pants, but it's not bad) and I can carry a pistol with 20rds of .45acp while wearing gym shorts. No shirt/shoes required. Wore it all day (8-10hrs) standing and sitting the day I got it to test it out and once adjusted right it works fine. Seems like it might get warm if sitting for long periods in the summer, but I don't know that for a fact.

I have a ruger LCP .380 with a pocket holster, that I bought for concealment unde light clothes or when I was too lazy to wear something with a belt. Now that I have that Smart Carry I have been taking the .45 every time.

The pistol rides in front of the family like a jock barrel pointed down, and works as long as you don't wear nut-hugging pants. The weight is distributed evenly on both hips which is a plus in my book also.

Naturally if your belt/pants are too tight in the waist one might have issues with the draw, and with a seatbelt on, it wouldn't exactly be the fastest draw when sitting in a car...but I'm sure like with anything, with practice it could be done.

$5.00 mil/retired mil discount on my order.

YMMV.
I've been using the SmartCarry for over a year nearly every day. Here are some things I've learned that may be helpful to you.
  • My EDC is an M&P 45fs with a Crimson Trace LaserGrip. Using the SmartCarry permits me to easily have the XTI Procyon weapon light always installed.
  • Where the muzzle rests becomes a wear point on the outside of the SmartCarry. Mine was completely worn through the blue denim in around 6 months. I ironed on a denim patch and it gives me another 6 months of wear before I remove it and add another.
  • Since the size of the grip is the key driver for concealment in this (and most other) configurations, I carry the 45 with 11 rounds (10 round magazine and one in the chamber). The neat thing about the SmartCarry is that it easily accommodates the 14-round extended magazine as a spare. 25 rounds of 45 is a good thing.
  • I carry an LCP for a BUG in my front pants pocket with a 6-round magazine and one in the chamber. Although I bought the SmartCarry with the optional "security" pouch for other reasons, I now use it to carry a spare LCP magazine that accommodates 15 rounds. Again, grip size is not a critical factor for the second magazine. Now I've got 25 rounds of 45 and 22 rounds of 380. Works for me.
  • "While driving" ideas.
    • I added a ClipDraw so that I could holster at 10 o'clock while driving.
    • This cross-draw configuration has some additional good attributes. It keeps it out of the way of your passenger whether family member or stranger, adult or child.
    • It eliminates the necessity to "sweep" the steering wheel to engage a BG at the most likely point of engagement, i.e. the driver's side window.
    • As I've described elsewhere, I am now experimenting with using a messenger bat as a go-bag for both first responder supplies and survival supplies. I carry it on my left side, so I am now experimenting with "holstering" the M&P 45fs in one of the messenger bag outside pockets. Fits nicely and is easier to draw than with the ClipDraw. If I commit to the "Jack Bag," I'll likely remove the ClipDraw.

I'll add pictures of any of this if that would help clarify what I've described above.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56   #36
PRB
Quiet Professional

I've tried the abdomen style of holsters and find them very uncomfortable for everyday wear, especially driving.
Tried it gave it away.
The other issue is size...I'm 5'9" 165lbs. with a 31 in waist...anything in my pants looks like I'm way to happy to see you. Major consideration for any hide out rig not often discussed...easier on big guys with bulk.
If you wear loose cotton pants they may be ok but with jeans (my everyday wear) just too binding.
In a vehicle with seat belt on they are buried.
An ankle holster for driving is actually easily available.
I use an ankle job, pocket job or in the pants belt job depending upon clothing as one holster doesn't fir every dress code.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 16:22   #37
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
So, you looking to sell that .380 paperweight?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 20:09   #38
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Nice try.
Old 02-04-2010, 20:18   #39
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Even though I carry my 45 in a SmartCarry, I still carry the LCP as a BUG.

However, my eye has begun to wonder. I saw the S&W Bodyguard 380 on the S&W web site (didn't make 2010 Shot Show), and it's got my attention. Ask me again after I've played with the Bodyguard.
Old 02-04-2010, 20:35   #40
wet dog

Can we go back to when an armed man was more recognizable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Pancho_Villa_bandolier.jpg (68.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06   #41
Ryanr
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
The other issue is size...I'm 5'9" 165lbs. with a 31 in waist...anything in my pants looks like I'm way to happy to see you.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm 6'4" and 180lbs soaking wet, so I kinda doubt that I'd have better results. Guess that'd be a try before I buy kind of purchase; I was hoping that'd work for an EDC solution when I need very good concealment.
Ryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:20   #42
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanr View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm 6'4" and 180lbs soaking wet, so I kinda doubt that I'd have better results. Guess that'd be a try before I buy kind of purchase; I was hoping that'd work for an EDC solution when I need very good concealment.
I took me nearly 3 weeks before I figured out how to be comfortable with all modes (sitting, standing, stooping, wrestling with the grandchildren, etc.) and transitioning between modes.

I was highly motivated because my family circle and social circle are big on using hugging as a greeting behavior and nearly all of them would freak if they knew I was armed. Deep carry is my only practical option. I've never regretted my investment in time or money in making the SmartCarry work for me.

Here are some frequently asked questions about SmartCarry® concealed carry holsters

Concealed Protection 3, Inc. holster return policy

Military Discount
Old 07-16-2010, 08:08   #43
BrainStorm
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
Even though I carry my 45 in a SmartCarry, I still carry the LCP as a BUG.

However, my eye has begun to wonder. I saw the S&W Bodyguard 380 on the S&W web site (didn't make 2010 Shot Show), and it's got my attention. Ask me again after I've played with the Bodyguard.
The Bodyguard 38 and the Bodyguard 380 have begun arriving at retailers. The Bodyguard 380 was on sale at Buds for less than a day before it was listed as out of stock. As of this note Top Notch Tactical has them in stock for $439.
BrainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:06   #44
Praetorian
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8SHTR View Post
I purchased and wore the holster linked below which is a Galco Ankle Glove. I wore it and carried a fully loaded Glock 27 in it everyday to work regardless of my assignment for the day. I wore it on the inside of the weak side ankle. It took about a week to get used to it then after that I never gave it a second thought. I only carried it on the ankle while in uniform as a BUG so I have no experience wearing it out of uniform.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp...29&CatalogID=6

HTH's
I can second this.... Ive carried a glock 27 in the Galco Ankle Glove for years with no problems.... Like anything else, it takes a little while to get used to/ get confident with and once you do, its second nature. A little practice and the presentation becomes smooth and quick as well.

My Brother In Law is a police detective and carries the same as his primary.

One reservation. Ive never had to RUN with it... It would definitely take a step or two off a regular pace, so if chasing people down with it on was a concern, I would go another route...

Last edited by Praetorian; 08-28-2010 at 16:35.
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 22:09   #45
XUSMICO
Asset

ankle holster

Galco with a calf support strap. Ken Null or Rusty Sherrick custom, hand made. I carry a baby glock in the galco on duty in uniform and a j frame in my back pocket.