Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-29-2010, 12:08   #1
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Your favorite general purpose combat boot...

I did the search. Found nothing recent.

You QPs, I'm curious to know what boot you're wearing currently. What do you like about it, and what would you improve.

I'm looking for something that's truly general purpose with lots of traction. Good for urban and rural environments with ankle support. Would like something good down to about 32 degrees F, but that's not absolutely critical. Water resistance would be a plus.

I have a pair of the Rocky Tac Team that I've been very pleased with, but they've become hard to find. If I have to spend $200 for an outstanding pair of combat boots, I will, but I'd rather not get that spendy.

Much appreciated.
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 00:05   #2
Bushranger
Asset

Garmont option

Hi guys,
I wear two types of boots, one insulated with goretex for cold climate, and one light fast-drying for the rest. I prefer lightweight and precisely fitting stuff, so I have to buy boots by myself, as our military issues heavy and wide boots. Currently I use Garmont SitkaGTX for winter, and Garmont T8 jungle boots for every other occasion. T8 is simple and durable boot with vibram, not too much padding which makes me sweat and so far it´s the best one I ever had. I used to wear my old Ranger school hot weather boots, and they have proven great for the jungle training, but have too thin sole for rocks in A-stan, so T8 is my solution and I really like them.
Bushranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 00:04   #3
MasterOfMyFate
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
Hi guys,
I wear two types of boots, one insulated with goretex for cold climate, and one light fast-drying for the rest. I prefer lightweight and precisely fitting stuff, so I have to buy boots by myself, as our military issues heavy and wide boots. Currently I use Garmont SitkaGTX for winter, and Garmont T8 jungle boots for every other occasion. T8 is simple and durable boot with vibram, not too much padding which makes me sweat and so far it´s the best one I ever had. I used to wear my old Ranger school hot weather boots, and they have proven great for the jungle training, but have too thin sole for rocks in A-stan, so T8 is my solution and I really like them.
I have a pair of T8's, and they are SUPER light-weight, VERY durable, ultra comfortable and they are ready to go, right out of the box (Aside from switching the tennis shoe-like laces with ACTUAL boot laces....)... But, my only complaint is the lack of traction on hard, wet surfaces, i.e. rocks after a good rain, or ANYTHING hard and wet for that matter.

"If you are not hungry, YOU WILL NEVER EAT"
MasterOfMyFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10   #4
MK262
Auxiliary

Not a QP, but I really like my Asolo Moran GTXs. I had a QP recommend them to me and they have been great.
Old 07-22-2010, 15:07   #5
ONEofFOUR14
SF Candidate

combat boots

Belleville 390's for warm weather, Belleville 795's for cold weather. I think these are the best boots you can get for your money. I do all of my rucking in 390's, and they are great both on the road and over terrain. I sent a pair in for resoling with a ripple sole at militarybootrepair.com, and bought a new pair to break in for selection in November. I will swear by these boots until I am proven otherwise.

I am also a big fan of Rocky S2V's. I bought these about a year and a half ago, and have worn them for patrols in Iraq and field problems at Ft. Lewis. They have a great insole (feels like a sneaker), good outsole (still can walk on rocks and hard surfaces without hurting your feet), and fantastice ankle support. They also have a neoprine construction with monotongue for the upper. It pulls the sweat away from your feet very well. They run aroun $160, but are worth it.

Pulling a page out of Warrior-Mentor's book, buy boots made in America. They are likely to be more expensive but made better and more durable. Thanks.

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think that they will collapse. But the VERY BEST men know that the mind tires before the body and push themselves beyond all limits. Only when all of these limits have been shattered can the unattainable be reached." - Dan Gable
ONEofFOUR14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 15:41   #6
Maui
SF Candidate

Location: Stationed in Ft Lewis, deployed to Baghdad currently
I agree with OneofFour, Belleville 390s are excellent boots. They require little break-in time, dry quickly, provide great traction, and are well-made and durable. Belleville 795s are fantastically made as well, but should only be worn in cold environments. They trap a lot of heat, but provide all the same benefits as the 390s. There's nothing like finishing a day in Mountain Phase when its been freezing rain all day and still have dry, warm feet.

Mentioned earlier, Garmont T8 Tacticals are fine boots, they require a bit more break-in time than 390s and have abismal traction on wet surfaces. They look cool though, so that's a benefit for some. After a few Army schools, and a deployment, the leather started to fail on them where the toe bends and I now all they are good for is to weigh down my ruck.

HTH

-Maui
Old 07-22-2010, 23:33   #7
Bushranger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I agree with OneofFour, Belleville 390s are excellent boots. They require little break-in time, dry quickly, provide great traction, and are well-made and durable. Belleville 795s are fantastically made as well, but should only be worn in cold environments. They trap a lot of heat, but provide all the same benefits as the 390s. There's nothing like finishing a day in Mountain Phase when its been freezing rain all day and still have dry, warm feet.

Mentioned earlier, Garmont T8 Tacticals are fine boots, they require a bit more break-in time than 390s and have abismal traction on wet surfaces. They look cool though, so that's a benefit for some. After a few Army schools, and a deployment, the leather started to fail on them where the toe bends and I now all they are good for is to weigh down my ruck.

HTH

-Maui
Belleville are OK

Last edited by Bushranger; 06-01-2014 at 03:09.
Bushranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:15   #8
wet dog

I've worn Drews and White's packers in desert, mountain and water. I wore them in SA and the Far East.

Follow the link....

http://www.drewsboots.com/firelogg.htm

It's the boot to wear. Pick one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Urbanovsky View Post
I did the search. Found nothing recent.

You QPs, I'm curious to know what boot you're wearing currently. What do you like about it, and what would you improve.

I'm looking for something that's truly general purpose with lots of traction. Good for urban and rural environments with ankle support. Would like something good down to about 32 degrees F, but that's not absolutely critical. Water resistance would be a plus.

I have a pair of the Rocky Tac Team that I've been very pleased with, but they've become hard to find. If I have to spend $200 for an outstanding pair of combat boots, I will, but I'd rather not get that spendy.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by wet dog; 07-23-2010 at 01:18.
Old 07-26-2010, 19:06   #9
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I pulled the trigger in April, and decided to go in the direction of a sneaker-type boot - took a chance on a pair of the Belleville TR1 Kiowas to try. I find that I'm really liking them a lot, despite an initial hot spot in the right heel cup. Other than that, they seemed pretty well broken in after a few days of wear. Nice and sneaky, and the insole seems very good too.

Wed Dog: Was not familiar with the Drews. Will definitely investigate those. Some of their offerings seem to resemble the pair of Redwing logging boots that I own and like very much.

Seems like a lot of you guys dig the Wellcos as well. Any of you wearing their Military Hiker boots?
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08   #10
BearW
Asset

Not a QP but

I'm not a "QP" but i've had black tips of toes before lol does that count?

Personally i'm a LOWA man, they're by far the best quality boot i've worn ever and they stand behind their product 100%. For a boot that will go down to 0 C they've got a boot in their TaskForce line called "Lowa GTX MoutainBoot" or the "Tibet" and it's really good. It's a bit stiff(but not 'crampon' stiff) in the sole and takes some time to break in but it's a great all around boot, cleans up nice and easy, as well.

If you're not into Goretex, or need something a bit more breathable they make a one called the "SuperCamp" and they're an amazing all around boot too.

These boots are a bit heavy by comparison to the Rocky Spec ops boots and those types of fast action boots, but they're durable and will last you years. Lastly, they're the kind of boot you can get replacement parts(eyelets, soles, laces etc) for easy, through your local cobbler.

I have 4 pairs of different types of LOWA's (Tibets, MountainBoots, desert Elite and Zephyr deserts) and they'll last me years, even through the worst of it.

Professionally Yours
Bear
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57   #11
peepee1
BANNED USER

Boots

Nike SFB=Lightweight boot to run around in. If you want ANY ankle support, go with something else.

Rocky S2V=I wore these for two years and absolutely LOVED them. The only thing that broke(after two years) were the shoe strings. EXCELLENT ankle support and great all around boot.

Lowa Zephyr=Just got a pair, but so far so good. When you put them on, they feel like civilian hiking boots(super soft and comfy), which is what they are actually. The most confortable desert boots Ive worn. We'll see how they last here soon.
Deuces

PS: The Injinji version hiking sock is great by the way. I wore them during Robin Sage and they really kick butt. Ive run a few 50 mile runs with them as well, and swear by them for long events. Never a blister... though they did peal some of my skin off when I removed them. That was my fault though. I didnt change my socks at mile 7 of a 50 mile run when they got super wet...bad idea. Anyway, Im a Smartwool PHD guy day in and out... but for epic movements, Injinjis.
peepee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 19:15   #12
the squid
BANNED USER

At the Benning School for Boys right now.

I've become partial to a pair of Rocky S2V's and fox river socks. Like walking on clouds.

the squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31   #13
-Jas-
Asset

Lowa Mountain GTX (but in the non tagged GB issued version)
Crispi Swat
Adidas GSG9.2

The Lowa is my main boot, the other two are for the whole Boarding extravaganza and lazyness on Base sometimes. Comfy but well their veeery lightweight with little ankle support.
-Jas- is offline   Reply With Quote