Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 03-17-2017, 10:00   #16
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
So, is anyone here following the World Baseball Classic?

Nice to see some strong performances from countries like Italy and Israel who aren't exactly known for their baseball cultures, although eventually they bowed to the inevitable and fell to the teams with more depth. You don't normally think of baseball when you think of the Netherlands, but many of their players are from the Netherlands' Caribbean territories where baseball is an institution.

It was also nice to the USA get a large and supportive crowd in the game in San Diego yesterday. I still can't tell if the Team USA players are treating this as little more than an exhibition/All-Star game, while others such as the DomRep are playing to win.

John Smoltz is really getting on my nerves, as he cannot apparently refer to "StatCast" without immediately following it with "powered by Amazon Web Services". We get it, you are a corporate shill. Every time I hear it, all I can think of is the Secretary of State in the movie Idiocracy, who got paid every time he said "brought to you by Carl's Jr.".
I was watching the Dominican Republic playing Canada, that was only because our Orioles player Manny Machado was playing for DR, and he is such a great player for our team. I see they were doing pretty well, and of course there is "nothing" on TV to watch so we were watching a few games. And as you stated, they look like they are out to win. I hope the US plays that way But fun to watch....can't wait for baseball season, Camden Yards is such a great place to watch a game....and it is great to go outside the stadium to see the Vendors, cheap food, beer, and hats...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01   #17
Badger52
Area Commander

I caught some of the DR vs. PR game; one of the plays made a highlight film, with Cubs' 2nd baseman Javier Baez making his usual spectacular tag after taking a rocket in the X-ring from Jadier Molina behind the plate - made runner (or 1st base coach decision) look stupid. (Wish our #2 regular catcher could do that.) Molina still looks in fine form, long in the tooth that he is ('course it's early yet).

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 13:43   #18
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So, is anyone here following the World Baseball Classic?

Nice to see some strong performances from countries like Italy and Israel who aren't exactly known for their baseball cultures, although eventually they bowed to the inevitable and fell to the teams with more depth. You don't normally think of baseball when you think of the Netherlands, but many of their players are from the Netherlands' Caribbean territories where baseball is an institution.

It was also nice to the USA get a large and supportive crowd in the game in San Diego yesterday. I still can't tell if the Team USA players are treating this as little more than an exhibition/All-Star game, while others such as the DomRep are playing to win.

John Smoltz is really getting on my nerves, as he cannot apparently refer to "StatCast" without immediately following it with "powered by Amazon Web Services". We get it, you are a corporate shill. Every time I hear it, all I can think of is the Secretary of State in the movie Idiocracy, who got paid every time he said "brought to you by Carl's Jr.".

I've been mostly tracking the brackets but did watch parts of a couple of USA games. Adam Jones (Orioles) seems to be pulling the bacon out of the fire repeatedly. Big one today vs PR.

It's a great opportunity for the fans to see some good baseball and some players they aren't necessarily familiar with. Also, without baseball in the Olympics recently, it's a player's opportunity to play for their "country".

I get the MLB idea of getting the WBC put together... although it does hose up some spring training time. Hopefully everyone walks away without injury as the real season starts.

Smoltz probably hears a "Cha-ching" every time he says that.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 19:20   #19
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
I was watching the Dominican Republic playing Canada, that was only because our Orioles player Manny Machado was playing for DR, and he is such a great player for our team. I see they were doing pretty well, and of course there is "nothing" on TV to watch so we were watching a few games. And as you stated, they look like they are out to win. I hope the US plays that way But fun to watch....can't wait for baseball season, Camden Yards is such a great place to watch a game....and it is great to go outside the stadium to see the Vendors, cheap food, beer, and hats...
I see your Manny and raise you one Jones-y.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adam-jones-catch-photo.jpg (60.0 KB, 12 views)
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49   #20
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
I see your Manny and raise you one Jones-y.
Ha, good one....Jones-y is a really good player., love the bubblegum chewing and the bubble blowing.... I always have a great time watching the O's play.....I miss Cal Ripken though

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 03-20-2017, 20:39   #21
Airbornelawyer

One of my better Camden Yards memories was a two-homer game by Cal, Jr. There was an early inning rain delay, and my friends and I got in free with the tickets of some fans who didn't want to wait it out.

Back to the WBC, during the earlier rounds in Asia, I just thought the MLB announcers were being politically correct by kow-towing to Communist Chinese sensivities and always referring to Taiwan by the Olympics-approved name of "Chinese Taipei" . Apparently, they are just ignorant, as Matt Vasgersian, the game announcer at the Netherlands/Puerto Rico game, just asked why the professional league in Taiwan was called Chinese Professional Baseball, and resident World Baseball Classic expert Jon Paul Morosi couldn't answer. Apparently neither has heard of the Republic of China.

Also, Vasgersian later was discussing the inspirational speech by one of the veteran Puerto Rican team players and mentioned how important it was to that nation. I am guessing Matty V. watched those commercials in the game from the Puerto Rican tourist board and couldn't figure out why Americans don't need a passport to visit Puerto Rico.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 20:54   #22
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Back to the WBC, during the earlier rounds in Asia, I just thought the MLB announcers were being politically correct by kow-towing to Communist Chinese sensivities and always referring to Taiwan by the Olympics-approved name of "Chinese Taipei" . Apparently, they are just ignorant, as Matt Vasgersian, the game announcer at the Netherlands/Puerto Rico game, just asked why the professional league in Taiwan was called Chinese Professional Baseball, and resident World Baseball Classic expert Jon Paul Morosi couldn't answer. Apparently neither has heard of the Republic of China.

Also, Vasgersian later was discussing the inspirational speech by one of the veteran Puerto Rican team players and mentioned how important it was to that nation. I am guessing Matty V. watched those commercials in the game from the Puerto Rican tourist board and couldn't figure out why Americans don't need a passport to visit Puerto Rico.
Humorous if it wasn't such a poor testimony. Blocks as a child that make into a map, or things not taught in Jr. High... he was long gone then before heading to USC. Sad.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 03-21-2017, 04:51   #23
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
One of my better Camden Yards memories was a two-homer game by Cal, Jr. There was an early inning rain delay, and my friends and I got in free with the tickets of some fans who didn't want to wait it out.
I used to go to a lot of games when Cal was still playing, someone I worked with had season tickets right off 1st base, 3 rows back. I remember "ducking" a lot while sitting at those seats...Cal was a great player, and that was a wonderful time for baseball...I will be going this season for sure....Manny...Manny...Manny

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 03-21-2017 at 11:16.
Old 03-29-2017, 19:43   #24
Badger52
Area Commander

Well, looks like the Cubs have finalized their roster, including 5-man rotation. They've had a ton of prospects to look at and most of the games in the last couple of weeks have been a couple innings of regulars & then "school ball" where everybody plays. Some games with the regulars here near the end have been pretty good slugfests anyone would pay to watch (including 15-11 over Oakland today, with lots of long ball apparently).

Looking forward to their first game in STL Sunday night; I like STL fans, they're baseball people, they get it. Let's get this season rolling!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:18   #25
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Looking forward to their first game in STL Sunday night; I like STL fans, they're baseball people, they get it. Let's get this season rolling!
Next week!

I think the players are DONE with spring training and ready to get rolling.

Another A.L. East crapshoot with the BoSox expected to be at the top of the heap if their pitching holds up. They had a good offseason. The Yankees seem to be a wildcard coming off a fairly strong close to last year once they moved on from their "legacy" roster.

The O's are expected to be in the basement of the East, but the "Showalter factor" seems to elevate them. Their rotation is a question mark and how they trim down the platoon of outfielders to the 25 man roster is going to be interesting. Expect the usual cycle of call-ups and send-downs to occur.

Good times.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:37   #26
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Well, looks like the Cubs have finalized their roster, including 5-man rotation. They've had a ton of prospects to look at and most of the games in the last couple of weeks have been a couple innings of regulars & then "school ball" where everybody plays. Some games with the regulars here near the end have been pretty good slugfests anyone would pay to watch (including 15-11 over Oakland today, with lots of long ball apparently).

Go Cards!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:42   #27
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Next week!

I think the players are DONE with spring training and ready to get rolling.

The O's are expected to be in the basement of the East, but the "Showalter factor" seems to elevate them. Their rotation is a question mark and how they trim down the platoon of outfielders to the 25 man roster is going to be interesting. Expect the usual cycle of call-ups and send-downs to occur.

Good times.
Hee, hee....The O's.....cannot wait, I might try to go to the game on 4/22 or 4/23. Home game playing Boston....my luck it will rain...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita